fighting the buff!!!

Guest spectr

yo i got love for whoever did this man i hope you got some flicks of you chilling inside, and i would have burned the thing.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=186...5&PAG=461&rfi=9

An organization that has spent the past 30 years helping others is now appealing to the community for help.

Last Friday, one of the vans used by the Greater Ridgewood Restoration Corporation for graffiti removal was stolen. Although the van has since been recovered, the hot water high-pressure washer—which is the most expensive component of the graffiti removal program—was not.

“We run on a very tight budget,” said Peggy O’Kane, the organization’s anti-graffiti coordinator. “We can’t even afford to throw a fundraiser.”

The van and the $3,500 washer were stolen from a private lot and spotted the next day in Brooklyn by a pedestrian who noticed the organization’s Queens address on the vehicle. By the time employees went to recover the van, it had been towed to a city lot because of its commercial plates.

The thieves had broken the ignition column and the door lock on the van. Repair estimates were at least $550, more than the GRRC originally paid for it.

Central Avenue Collision Works in Glendale donated repairs and the Borough President’s Office temporarily loaned the organization a pressure washer. Still, without help from the community the group will not be able to continue work once the equipment is returned at the end of the year.

“GRRC’s machines were originally bought with community donations,” said President Paul Kerzner. “And we are once again appealing to our friends and neighbors to help us out.” The group is also looking for a donated parking spot.

The GRRC was established in 1975 at a time when urban decay was sweeping the city. It is the only non-profit wall washing organization in Glendale, Maspeth, Middle Village or Ridgewood. In the three decades since it was founded, employees, prison inmates ready for parole and people serving community service have cleaned more than 3,000 sites.

For O’Kane, who has been working with the group for over a decade, removing graffiti has become an obsession. “People don’t like to ride in a car with me,” she said. “I notice all the sites that need to be cleaned. Even the prisoners get upset when someone vandalizes a wall they just painted.”

The organization’s $100 fee—which includes four cleanings and paintings—is a fraction of what private companies charge for similar services. Although GRRC’s work is supplemented by grant money, it is a bare-bones organization. The graffiti removal program operates on a budget of $65,000 a year.

Each site needs multiple clean-ups because in many cases, once a wall is cleaned the same vandals return. “One kid has been doing graffiti in the neighborhood since 1991,” O’Kane said. “For some kids it’s an obsession, an addiction, a disease.”

Since the organization never cleans a site without permission, one of the largest problems it faces is convincing business owners to sign up for the program. “In some cases, our mail may be thrown out, others may be nervous about damage to their property,” O’Kane said. “Some don’t live in the area and may not care.”

Besides graffiti removal, GRRC has rehabilitated fire damaged buildings, successfully lobbied to create one of the largest historic districts in the country and helped hundreds of tenants and landlords with leases, rent control laws and other matters.

For now though, the organization’s most pressing concern is purchasing a new hot water high-pressure washer so volunteers can continue removing graffiti. “It makes the neighborhood look better and it makes people feel better about living here,” O’Kane said. “For a small organization, we do a lot of good work. Now, we’re appealing for a little help from our friends.”

To make contributions to GRRC for the purchase of a new hot water high-pressure washer, or to donate a parking spot, call 718-366-8721.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by KanFeumz

omg after reading this page i have thought of a plan, a plan so good that my head would exploid if i knew what i was talking about...

Props to them niggas....keepin the buffers away

hahahaha:lol: :lol: :lol:

i woulda took it and go to a chill spot and use the pressure hose and spell a forge out removing the paint so i get nice clean bricks spelling FORGER

yeah dude, rage against the machine!!!!!!!

"Besides graffiti removal, GRRC has rehabilitated fire damaged buildings, successfully lobbied to create one of the largest historic districts in the country and helped hundreds of tenants and landlords with leases, rent control laws and other matters. "