Burton Snowboards.... (new 'graf' designs)

RumPuncher

man..i know we're all defensive on 12oz but i wouldn't argue about it if you had a different opinion...i like discussion though..

i didn't really study the 3d board..the whole board images are small and the close up shots, well..at first glance i didn't really see any letterforms, although on second look i can start to make stuff out...

i guess what i was trying to say though, in response to the sellout comments, is even if graf artists were commissioned to do the work...they definitely put the work in to coming up with original work, and not just lending their name to a product to be sold...

like...say if giant just did a bunch of "gi" throwups..and slapped a burton logo on it...and if burton was marketing the boards as "graffiti" boards..i could see why people would say sellout...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by porque@Oct 12 2004, 11:54 PM

...just to play devils advocate...the stash boards are blatent graffiti reference used to sell product...the giant boards are just plain hot...

which is why i intentionally left the stash stuff out of my comments ;)

i ain't gonna hate on dood but given the opportunity to create something really ill, i think the paint can concept is sort of a common theme, and a creative cop out...

i liked the stuff stash did with his subware label back in the day...but like..some of the nike stuff..like af1's with the nozzle motif seemed tired..the stash airmax bw's (one of my favorite nike shoe) were a cool colorway but the embroidered stash tag on the tongue was enough to make me not wanna cop em...when an artist does something like that it makes me think that his attitude towards creating shit is on some "yo i'm gettin paid son, and all these kids gonna cop it cuz they jock me" type shit...

i dunno..i'm sure someone here knows him and will react in a negative way to my opinion but that's just the way i feel about the shit...

jokr,

not freights, it was that stupid free train in portland. or atleast thats the way i remember it. maybe beards was lying to me though. becareful with the denying here. if i find out you didn't do it, you might slip into the 'fuck em, they only paint legals' bin...once that happens, your whole life is shot.

im a little confused as to what the argument here is? the boards were done by writers, who got the gig because they were writers. they then designed boards that have a 'graffiti feel'. even if the graff is 'non-conventional' (or boring, played, and never-that-hot-to-begin-with), it's still graff. did anyone sell out? no, they did the same thing they always have.

the stash boards, IMO are just cheap on everyones part. stash could have come fresher, but why bother, since im sure he gave them exactly what they wanted? he made a quick buck, they got to look edgy, whatever. a bottle of etch says graff will weather the storm.

;)

there's no argument on my end...the first page of this thread is full of "graf shouldn't be used to sell product" replies..

all i was trying to say is the artists went beyond just creating "graf" for these boards..it seems like they put more thought and effort into them than just catchin a tag and slappin a logo on it...and cashing a fat check

after seing all these replies.... I think it comes down to the old 'graffiti as art' argument.

These guys are making art (or 'designs' based on some tight ass definitions) and putting it on a new medium. No matter what their original motivation was, it would be damn nice to be riding on the mountain and see YOUR name go flying by. Getting up has changed, but not really.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by seeking@Oct 13 2004, 10:04 AM

jokr,

not freights, it was that stupid free train in portland...

Oh, the Max train. Yeah, that was pretty hilarious. That guy chased us for blocks. And we couldn't have been running very fast due to the fact that we were blasted out of our minds. I think we were only two blocks from home... and I swear it took us like twenty minutes to get there.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived