Parents just don't understand!

justjedd

Ok. I know a lot of you will think this post is silly, but no one is making you reply.

I'm almost 21.. and yes, I live at home. It's a problem I will have to confront head on someday.. ANYWAYS..

This morning I awoke to an odd letter on the table. I took my toothpaste with me to my girls the other day and when I came home, I left my bag out. So this morning, my moms goes diggin thru my bag lookin for the toothpaste and finds my mask, tips and paint. Oops.

My mom is a pretty hip lady. I told her the truth (that I paint a lot of legal and semi-legal (read: wallofames) spots.. I also told her that was ALL I do (a lil white lie). I don't think she'd be as cool to understand about painting fr8s or highways or anything like that.

So what I'm wondering is : Do any of you homebodies have stories to share? How many of you (that live at home or not) do yer parents know that you paint? To what degree do they know? Do any of yer parents know that you bomb? I had a friend once who was only 17 and his dad would be straight up "You gonna be bombing the 5 (interstate) tonight? I'll be looking for that tomorrow!" but he was totally serious and totally cool about it!

I don't know.. I'm bored.

-> Jedd

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i too live at home and paint. my mother kicked me out of the house for painting, something that im too embaressed to tell my friends about. so i moved in with my father. he sees the paint and just doesnt ask questions, but i often wonder if he just doesnt connect the dots or doesnt give a fuck.

either way im always cautious about my hobby at home.

Guest usedtolove

moms knows..we look for freights spots on occasion...caps are everywhere..paint..videos..i show her my new work and give her a big hug and i love you before going to paint trains..hehe life is grand

my parents know and they have been pretty supportive, especially after seeing me stick with it for years...and manage to stay out of any trouble

(actually, they just don't know about the trouble..which i believe kept their outlook positive..)

plus, dad chose a tag one time, and has given some great ideas..

mom gave me some advice about beef..hahaa..

it wasn't too good

honesty is a good thing..altho, i know not all parents are as open minded as mine.

i would never in a million years call them from jail, especially not to look for help.

but i will show them flicks of pieces an freights..i try to play down the bombing aspect of it..i never hit their neighborhood..even when i lived with them.

i think the happy mother's day piece i did my second year out helped..

you kow how some people build walls in their backyard or whatevr but im almost 20 and for about 2 years now my mah dukes lets me write on my house... funny huh well its the truth cuase i got a deck and a little padio under the deck and thats where i practice... mom knows the deal... she just says next time you get caugth call your friends to get you out.

when they thought i was just painting legally they were cool and whatnot...after we moved, they knew i didnt know any writers up here, and they know there arent any legal places to paint in town. when they discovered the stockpile of paint in my trunk after a car accident they got all psycho...dad understands it, i explained why i do it to him, and how long ive been doing it for, and he reccommended i pick up a different hobby/lifestyle, but said he couldnt stop what i really wanted to do. thats weird, hes a recovering alcohlic, and hes only really been a dad for 4 years...when he was drinking he could give a fuck less about what i do. now hes actually concerned..mom got really upset and depressed and is in denial right now...she picked up smoking again and said she would quit again as soon as i quit graffiti...i think its because she thinks shes a failure since my sister dropped out of college and moved out, and now that im in college she doesnt want to see me fuck up...its starting to get irritating, shes always finding a way to incorporate the subject of me quitting graffiti into any conversation we have...but hey, what are parents for, i love em both for caring about me...ive met some unfortunate people whose parents arent there for them.

Guest Funk~This

haha.. my mom knows for sure buts she really dosent think ido illeagls anmore i tel her i am going out with my boys and taking my paint but hse knows she knows......

Hell nah my parents dont know. My dad would go nuts, but he lives up in NY so it dont matter. Id rather be up there with him instead of in my hicktown but hes a psycho christian so it wouldnt be worth it. I think my mom sorta knows i do it, but she just doesnt wanna make an issue. A few years back when me and my bro used to paint together, wed snatch paint from teh garage and use it all up, and my mom would see us with paint and shit on our hands, i think shes just tryin to leave us alone about it. I finally started up a bit ago, i think she knows I do it. Its kinda hard to keep your backpack from rattlin when ya hit speed bumps. =. Everytime were bout to hit speed bumps i just start talkin loud and shit. lolol :D

I told me mom about me painting, she told me to get out of the house. After talking to her she didnt care as much. She even wanted to get involved. But she tried this thing were she wanted info on it and wanted me to show her stuff, so that maybe she could get into it to, "to be a concerned and caring parent involved in her sons life and activities" I told her that she would get shot if she did it. That ended that thought. Now she all thinks its a gang thing, and im gonna get shot. So I made a compromise that I wouldnt paint till im 18. In return I have no curfew anymore....hahahahaha :) yhea right..I dont think I could stop painting if I wanted too.

What are these cans in this bag for

well shit, i hate most of you kids that posted in here simply because im jealous. why cant i have dope parents like you guys? i was hella sneeky for 4 years (starting when i was 12) then i screwed up some time ago. i left my bag outside the door when i was coming back home. i was going to bring it in later, but i forgot and fell asleep. my parents found it and questioned me. im surprised they hadnt known before this. its not like they had no clue what graff is. my brother was deep into it. he had gotten beat up by mexicans at a wall so my parents thought graffiti was evil. they tried to get him to stop by letting him paint our garage. but that gets tired. his mistake was that he left shit around. he has sketches on the phone book, tags on my keyboard, and just a whole lot of other shit. they know what he writes, if they see it he gets yelled at, its funny. but i never left my shit hanging out. so they had no clue. but i had posters on my wall. shirts with pieces on them. paint on my fingers. clanking in my bag. late nights with bad kids. all the signs. but yeah, they found my cans and questioned me. they tried some new tactic on me where they try to make me feel bad for them. it was pathetic. but interesting. they arnt dumb parents, im sure that theyve pieced most of it together, except for what i write, im hella careful. i just hope they dont know who i write with. i need to give my friends code names now. for talking on the phone and shit. im trying to make them think it was just a phase.

but as for you kids that mix paint with your pops and stake out spots with momma, that makes me sick. damn bonding and shit. i know one kid whose parents never ask where hes going, dont give a shit about him. he says he writes but he is up nowhere. if my parents were like that, you can guarantee i would be king of the city.

i think its funny that jedd lives with his parents and hes 21.

my parents know and dont care, i tag all sortsa shit at home, i leave sketches out (they go 'ooh thats a good one' and shit) i ask them for money for paint and textas and stuff, they know what i tag and they go 'when did you do that?' and im like 'uhhh last night' and there like 'werent you at ******?' and im like 'shit', this cunt says he saw me painting at a school and he stalked me and then confronted me when my dad showed up my dad was like 'did you do it' (i did) then he asked if the guy saw me (which he couldnt have) then that was the end, all they hassle me about is getting a job, pffft fuck that

Guest Remy Martin

my friends mom took us out a couple times.

hahhahahaha...i fuck with my parents about it. a long time ago my mom took me out shopping to get paint.

now im all mature or somthing, so it kind of shocks em when they call and they are like, so what have you been up to, and im like, me and my friend spent all night the other week running around painting the inside of subway tunnels.

i think they are in denial.

MY MOM!!

Man. Im an 18 yr old college student. My dads an cop, and he knows i write on walls. So does my mom. They didn't trip for awhile. Cause i have pics and posters hanging up in my room. so they knew the deal. my mom knew what i wrote. so i had to change because some other writer tried jumping me at 7 in the mourning, but i hit him wit my car. then he runs to my mom, and tell him what i wrote, what crew i was in. everythig about my graff life lol.

this kid was weird. so i changed my name. so i was rockin hard wit my new name. then i got drunk at my sisters graduation party. and they were video taping the party. One of her friends, and I started telling the camera what wrote lol. so my mom knew. but

no one cared for awhile. i have my cans behind my bunk bed. she knew were they were. acouple adays ago. like tuesday, i come home from schoo, and look behind my bed and my cans are missing. i was about to snap. but i was like, she nowsim gonna buy more. so fck it. its on her. today she was in the shower, so i went to the garbage can to look and they were in there. so when she dips out the house,im gonna snatch them. and this time im gonna hide them above my bed, were the ceiling can move. FOR like month she knew i had cans and markers and pictures. but all of a sudden she just took. i wanna ask her why? but i dont' wanna bring up this shit to them.

o well, at least i found my stash. haha its all love.

and i always got the same lecture from my mom

"DON'T GET CAUGHT, IF YOU GET CAUGHT DON'T COMING RUNNING TO ME OR CALLING ME, IM NOT GETTING U OUT"

everytime i went out. haha thats some ish.

i know this sounds lame and shit. but i just wanted to post what i have to go threw and shit.

PEACE

Originally posted by justjedd

Yea.. yer not the only one! Oh.. and I'm not 21 til the 26th so :p

*Edited for retardation*

awww geez. you live at home and your gonna be 22 and it's okay. i think i love you...happy birthday.

now i am the big twothree and been out of the rents house since 18 so they have not a clue. i feel for all that have to live with your parents and maintain the disease secretively.

why am i attracked to men that live at their parents? maybe it's the free food and laundry access. ima user.........

Cost of Living

Originally posted by justjedd

EXACTLY! The cost of living up here is ginormous..

Did anyone here read the reports on the most expensive places to live. They took into account spending like 30% of your pay on housing and the rest for food travel and other expenses. San Francisco was the most expensive where one needed to make at least 35.00$ an hour to be able to survive in some shithole in the crack district. Los Angeles (where I live) one needed to make like 18-20 bones an hour. So till I finish college I guess I'm stuck.

Guest serpent of the light

my rents put my sketches to a piece a few years ago. they didnt shout on me, but if they figure it again, they will. now i'm far more careful about who sees any part of my sketchbook

xxx303

My parents dont know anything, ive got cans under my bed, and sketch books all over. One time i left a bunch of caps in one of my pockets, my dad ran it trough the drier and they all fell out, so he comes up to me and is like whats this? Im like, hmm looks like a spray paint cap to me dad. Hes like then why did i find a bunch of them in your pocket? Im like" OOH yeah those... Me and my freind found a whole big pile of them on the bike path, you know people drop weird stuff" Then he told me they were clogging the drier and then he left.

my mom definately has known about my graffiti for the past 2 years, but i dont know if my mom knows im active anymore, she knows my word and sees my stuff but i tell her its from last winter, she hates what i do. thinks its ugly(all she has seen on her own iare bombs) and is a waste of time.

she keeps bugging me about taking the paint of my shelf and putting it in storage or something but i tell her i need it there...

my real mistake was showing her my shit in the first place, letting her see my word.

she likes peices, but she also likes the law...

Archived