- ATHENS 2004 - OLYMPIC GAMES -megathread-

Guest imported_Tesseract

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw the game against Lithuania, and the US could've had the game but let it slip away with ridiculous fouls that converted into points, as well as allowing too many open 3 point shots.

Here my 4 reasons why I think the US team is struggling:

1. The international style of game tends to be an outside game. The 3-point line is closer and it's harder to drive to the basket. To elaborate:

a) The zone defense and the absense of a defensive 3-second violation allows for 3 or 4 players on defense to camp out in the lane, making it extremely difficult for cutters, post-up players, and lane-drivers to play their style of game. Also, the key is wider which adds to the difficulty for post-up players to get good position near the basket.

B) The current US team for the most part is made up of cutters, drivers, and inside post-up players, with no real outside shooters. Cutting and driving works in the man-to-man NBA style of play, but hardly against a 2-3 Zone.

c) Other countries are used to this style of play. These NBA players have never played this style of play. With the 3-point line closer, the ability for defensive players to camp out in the lane, and the fact that the other countries have always played with these rules -- these countries have likewise developed an outside game that fits with this style of play.

2. The rest of the world is getting better, and more and more international teams have NBA players.

3. The US's team chemistry compared with teams from other nations. The US was put together in a matter of weeks, whereas teams like Italy, Lithuania, and Serbia have been playing with each other for years.

4. The US didn't have its best players. The other countries send their BEST players, but the US didn't send theirs. Imagine if Ray Allen, Shaquille O'Neal, Michael Finley, Kobe Bryant, Mike Bibby, Jason Kidd, Tracy McGrady, Vince Carter, Kenyon Martin, and Kevin Garnett were in on the action. It'd be a totally different story.

Guest imported_Tesseract

i agree, the question is why on a sport that the US is traditionally the best, theres so much poor planning/bad choices?

i guess it has to do with bush

Sorry Tess...

Greek Weightlifter Stripped of Medal

35 minutes ago

By LISA ORKIN, Associated Press Writer

ATHENS, Greece - Greek weightlifter Leonidas Sampanis was stripped of his bronze medal Sunday and expelled from the Olympics for a doping offense, another embarrassment for the host nation.

He was the first athlete at the Athens Games to lose his medal because of doping.

Sampanis, who was third in the 137-pound (62kg) category after winning silvers at the previous two Olympics, was disqualified by the International Olympic Committee (news - web sites) executive board.

His medal was given to Venezuela's Israel Jose Rubio Rivero, who finished fourth.

The 32-year-old Sampanis tested positive for twice the allowed amount of testosterone, the IOC (news - web sites) said. Doctors established that the testosterone came from outside the body.

"Honestly, I can say that for the last 10 years, the time that I have been a weightlifter, I never used this kind of drug," he said, crying.

Sampanis was tested Aug. 16 after winning the medal. He told the IOC on Aug. 7 that he had been injected with an undisclosed drug for an injury, but IOC medical director, Patrick Schamasch, said that had nothing to do with the positive tests.

So far, nine weightlifters, including Sampanis, have failed drug tests.

Any other sanctions against Sampanis, including a ban from the sport, would be decided by the International Weightlifting Federation.

The decision was another huge blow for Greece, just four days after top sprinters Kostas Kenteris and Katerina Thanou pulled out of the games in a scandal over missed drug tests.

Since the games began Aug. 13, Greece has won three gold medals, one silver and two bronze, not counting the medal Sampanis lost.

Guest imported_Tesseract

Whoa, the last 20 minuets where amazing!

Gold for Greece in gymnastics

Gold and bronze for the US in 100meters

Gold for the Chile tennis player against the american one after 4 HOURS OF GAME

the olympics rock, so does the fact that i have 9 live channels on my tv

Originally posted by Tesseract

Lithuania kicks US's ass....i think these guys will get the gold.

dude, did lithuania even miss one 3 pointer in that game? they couldn't miss. usa couldn't hit one even when they were wide open and the lithuanians were getting triple-teamed and were still nailing em. it was hilarious

Apprently she was 'exhausted'. I call it race fixing. She might have lost a medal, but she probably loaded up of some bookie.

Link: http://7sport.com.au/NewsFullStory112921.html

Its disgraceful I think, its the Olympics. Where you push yourself to the extreme, I think she could have finished the race. I hope she never gets to race at that level again.

Archived