- ATHENS 2004 - OLYMPIC GAMES -megathread-

Guest imported_Tesseract

Originally posted by Mr. ABC

go the aussies!!!! watch yourselves in the pool, kids, the aussies are comin for ya! we've already got one world record (in an event we hadn't won since 1956, no less), and it's not going to be our last!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/olympics/graphics/ian-thorpe-pro.jpg'>

"jaws aint shit. you're all fucked!"

These swimmers are absolutely amazing. The times that they make are unbelievably difficult, not to mention how smooth their strokes are... :D

In a couple of years we'll probably be watching one of the girls I swam with in HS. She took first in the state for such a variety of things (IM, fly, free, breast, relay) and has been training since she was 5 or 6.

Seeing these people swim is :eek:

/swimmers make me wet

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by TheoHuxtab|e

Bjork is one strange individual. And so are her music videos. I've often wondered what it would be like to watch her videos while stoned. You'll probably be in for a ride.

it's muy fun, try it. she's just the best musician and i love her so much. lip-singing or not she rocks and having seen her live many times i know she can belt it out. :)

her new album, medulla is due at the end of the month

Iran refuses to comepete against Israel (Judo)

Noble like the raised fist, or disgrace to the games?

Judo: Tehran Defiant as Israel Urges Penalty

By Alan Baldwin

ATHENS (Reuters) - Judo's governing body failed to reach a decision on Monday about punishing Iran for its refusal to compete against Israel at the Athens Olympics.

Israel's top judo official had said Iran should be penalized but Tehran remained defiant in the face of accusations that its political boycott was a challenge to Olympic ideals.

International Judo Federation spokesman Michel Brousse said an emergency IJF executive board meeting, following an inconclusive session on Sunday, had been postponed because some executive committee members were unable to attend.

He could not say when it might now take place.

But the IJF would set up a committee, he said, to examine why Iran's world champion Arash Miresmaeili failed to fight Israeli Ehud Vaks in the 66 kg first round on Sunday.

Before the meeting, Israeli judo chief Eddy Koaz said: "I think the IJF must stand and say that we cannot involve politics in sport and I think also they must punish them, because it is not the first time that they (Iran) have done this.

"We cannot let them just do it because if they do it and nothing happens, other countries will do it again."

Tehran said it had no regrets.

"Our policy is not to recognize the Zionist regime in any international event ... We cannot accept the presence of anyone in international events under the flag of that regime," government spokesman Abdollah Ramazanzadeh told a news conference.

Ramazanzadeh described Miresmaeili's action as voluntary but made clear it expected its competitors to avoid Israelis.

"We thank all our athletes who voluntarily follow our policy in international events and consider them our real national champions and heroes of peace," he said.

IRAN UNREPENTANT

He also charged that Israel, not Iran, was the country that was trampling on the Olympic spirit -- in occupied Palestinian land: "The spirit of peace and friendship suggests that occupation must end and international organizations should help to end it," the government spokesman said.

Miresmaeili was ruled out against Vaks after failing to get his weight down. But the athlete and Iranian officials made no bones about their refusal to fight on political grounds.

Koaz said it was inconceivable for an athlete like Miresmaeili, who carried the flag for his team at the Olympic opening ceremony on Friday, to be so far off the weight.

Brousse underlined the IJF's adherence to the Olympic ideals and abhorrence of any form of discrimination.

"Entering the Olympics means sharing the values of the Olympic movement," he said. "We value peace and we cannot tolerate discrimination. This is very important for the future of the IOC, for the future of judo."

Over the years there have been cases outside the Olympics of Israelis and Iranians being drawn against each other and the Iranian then failing to turn up for various reasons.

Many leading judo figures believed Miresmaeili, present with team officials as a mere spectator on Monday, had wanted to fight.

"It's a shocker. I'm sure that the Iranian judo player wants to fight," said U.S. judo coach Bob Berland.

Updated on Monday, Aug 16, 2004 12:40 pm EDT

Originally posted by MLTf4nt0m

so the australian dude just won his fifth gold medal. breaking the record for how many golds one dude has held in that particular sport. thats pretty sick.

ian thorpe is an animal in the pool. he got an olympic record yesterday as well. the aussies are going to dominate the pool this year (again). next week the americans will make a comeback though, the track is their strong point. and the gymnastics will be rules by asia and eastern europe, so i don't think anyone really gives a shit about that. oh and watch out for the aussie womens teams in the soccer, hockey and basketball. they're all good medal chances as well.

go the serbs in the basketball. i hope they take it out. the problem with the american basketball team is they sent a bunch of pampered millionaires to play a bunch of hungry-ass teams. their hearts just aren't in it. $0.02

here's the tally so far:

1 CHN China 10 4 1 - 15

2 AUS Australia 6 2 5 - 13

3 JPN Japan 5 1 1 - 7

4 USA United States 3 5 5 - 13

5 FRA France 2 2 3 - 7

6 ITA Italy 2 2 1 - 5

7 TUR Turkey 2 0 1 - 3

8 UKR Ukraine 2 0 1 - 3

9 RUS Russia 1 5 2 - 8

10 GER Germany 1 2 1 - 4

the chinese are killing it. i guess that's the gymnastics that are putting them ahead

the fact that u.s. basketball, for the most part, is all offense was a horrible idea to begin with. and the fact that they are over pampered millionares, that ALSO dont show up for practice. fucking morons.

yeah, china is killing it in gymnastics, and im pretty sure they just won a gold for swimming,(women) setting a new record. also, between watching and sketching, i thought i was an american win another gold in swim? i dunno. anywho. i missed some of the best shit, has any of the martial arts come on? bah, i hoep i didnt miss it, but i probably did knowing my luck.

edit, fuck spelling

this kid said anyone who watches gymnastics and men swimming is a complete and total homosexual, i think he has insecurity problems. heres his aim, haha. my people, harass him wel.

eckoNUTSjackass

he's like, 15-16, maaaaaaaybe, have fun friends. cherry_luv knows some fucking stupid people indeed.

My roommate talked me into watched the Men's Team Gymnastics tonight. I'm not into the whole men wearing spandex but they are some incredible athletes. The Japanese guys definitly deserved the gold. That NBC announcer with the high pitched voice was a friggin flamer, though.

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by Mr. ABC

ian thorpe is an animal in "the pool".

You guys have some weird lingo down there...

I heard on the news yesterday that nobody is showing up to the Olympics. It's like dead stadiums for about almost every competition. Also, they might start giving out free tickets to school children.

Tesseract - What's your opinion, are the Olympics gonna ruin Greece financially for the next few year?

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by JesusMachine

Tesseract - What's your opinion, are the Olympics gonna ruin Greece financially for the next few year?

Hmm, thats a widely discussed issue here and of course, viewpoints differ a lot.

Fact is that the budget for our games is fuckin huge but in my opinion only the security budget was fucked up. Due to Mr.Bush's excellency the greek people will pay security taxes and thats just stupid, but on the other hand..its the way it is.

Besides that, lots of stuff where done in Athens for the games but these are things that will be fully functional after the games and in my opinion needed for the city.

So on the other hand we have a crazy budget and on the other we built up a gazillion of buildings, transport means, etc etc etc that will benefit our quality of life.

In my opinion it was well worth it and i'm happy that we hosted the games, so far its a success and i hope it will move that way.

^^yo i was readin an article or interview about a floor gymnist and he was saying that there are a few of them that do break on the off season they say its funner then jus goin to the gym to do it....and im guessin its easyer to pick up girls sayin that you break not that your a floor gymnist... :lol:

Guest imported_Tesseract

Yeah, thats even worse... anyway, yesterday was a good day for greece.

Gold in judo.

win in tennis

win in volleyball

gave the us team a hard time

not bad.

here are the raknings so far:

1 CHN China 10 6 2 18 2

2 USA United States 6 7 6 19 1

3 AUS Australia 6 3 5 14 3

4 JPN Japan 6 2 1 9 5

5 UKR Ukraine 3 1 1 5 =8

6 RUS Russia 2 5 5 12 4

7 ITA Italy 2 3 2 7 7

8 FRA France 2 2 4 8 6

=9 GRE Greece 2 0 1 3 =13

=9 ROM Romania 2 0 1 3 =13

=9 TUR Turkey 2 0 1 3 =13

i noticed the whole gymnist "breakdance" thing too, i bet they would own most of the other dudes.

i missed all the events today. i went to sleep when i got home from work, damn. what happened? who won what. anyone care to re-cap it for me?

Archived