GROUNDZERO/N.Y.C.

Guest BROWNer

Guest BROWNer

....i don't know if the boards new yorkers care to talk about this...how are things?...the atmosphere...is it slowly getting back to somewhat normal or..?

there's a giacometti MOMA exhibition starting tomorrow til january if anyone in

the ny metro cares....

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Shit here is far from normal.

Cops everywhere. Sirens every few minutes. National guard chilling with machine guns at all major landmarks. Holland is still closed. Random inspections. Mandatory carpooling. Trains skipping certain stations and packed to the fuckin gills. Regular bomb threats, and therefore evacuations. 10 billion missing person signs everywhere you look. And a general feeling of "when is the shit gonna really hit the fan?".

Guest BROWNer

........yipers..

....my bad wording there, no offense..

"when is the shit really gonna hit the fan?"-MRaven

again......yipes...:(

forgive my prying, i'm just trying to get a handle on it,

i haven't personally seen a whole lot of stuff on tv

of how people are.....functioning.....considering

the situation....

ugh. well i'm not living in new york right now.... but i feel slightly qualified to speak after visiting a couple of times in the past month and having constant contact with my closest friends there.....

it's weird. in terms of getting back to daily life it seems like that there are a few places/situations where new yorkers still show some really deep reverence for what has happened. but for the most part, a lot of the feelgood stuff that was happening the first week after has subsided. the bullshit run you over in order to get to my train mentality has really regenerated its several ugly heads. same old shit in a lot of ways.

i will say this....

when i first visited, a little after 2 weeks, i went straight to union square. which was very moving. a living memorial, pictures, missing person flyers, art, vigils going on, impromptu education sessions/debates/prayers... candles. that has since gotten more back to normal and has substantially less material than the volumes of flowers candles memorial stuff that was there.

all over lower manhattan there's sad and haunting graffiti. meansteaked "stay strong," names of missing people, firefighter stuff... when i went inside the restricted zone (which i got through with my girlfriend who works down there) this stuff really intensified. i went pretty close to ground zero but chose not to go. it was a little much for me. it smelled awful. i had a hard time keeping it together. i think it will be years before that 5 block radius around the ground zero area is anywhere close to back to normal. it is scary to see. especially in its restricted state it really felt haunted and looked like.... i don't want to even make comparisons really.

outside of every fire station in new york were memorials. these are kind of some of the pockets of reverence that still exist. almost every fire house lost someone. i was pretty shocked to learn that one of my old firehouses that i used to live by lost over a third of its men, and that's well into brooklyn.

i don't know. it's all a weird mixed bag. but i guess that's new york and most cities. but the fact that things can be so different from one block to the next seems magnified and more weird.

still tough to talk about and write about. not sure if i addresed anything or not.

Archived