best underground hip hop

Seek One

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Remy Martin

gravediggaz is some of my favorite.

or these cats from hollywood that my boy made beats for.

i forget what they called themselfes once they got signe..but it was Excel( the mc not the wrter) Soshol and some other cats that were down for ryming.

who the fuck am i to judge who the best is.

i dont understand how you can say aesop rock is mainstream.. but if he was mainstream i would have respect for him..

also.. does anyone have the dj mr.len cd?.....if you dont know who mr.len is he was in company flow well.. well company flow ended a while back..

clokworx is ill. i send people that dont know anything about underground hiphop mp3s all the time. most all the time they say..thats boring blah blah nelly is better. but the one mp3 every single person liked was the clokwox...clokwox will get inside your mind we be constantly moving foward like time....i dont know if thats right, havent heard the song in months. but dope shit nontheless

-jason

Guest Dusty Lipschitz
Originally posted by krs702

also.. does anyone have the dj mr.len cd?.....if you dont know who mr.len is he was in company flow well.. well company flow ended a while back..

this cd is supposed to be a banger...

eeehh...the "best of" threads are inherently weak...everyones got a reason why what they like is the shit and what you like IS shit. or shitty. i guess. but why stop the fun, i always say.

slug is cool. real cool...but far from the best. as someone said buck65 is nice and underrated and blahblahblah...this is a pretty limited scope here. micranots are cool and un-loved. jedi mind tricks are another facet....and unloved by most.grouch is incredible. eligh, murs, etc.

sixtoo. i guess dose is innovative, but im not into it...as he would say "its not bad rap/i just dont feel it..." canox is great...lif is bangin.eyedea is fat. 7l and esoterradactyl are nice.

lil wayne is hot!!! irony is also a pretty fat quality in music...some of you take hiphop too seriously. and considering its basically rhyming, thats a stupid thing to do. lil wayne is live as shit. that SHINE track gets bumped in my ride everymorning on the way thru north philly to school....check my baby momma....word.

my real favorites of hiphop (underground or otherwise) are this:

late80s: PE, PE, PE, PE, PE. krs, rakim, nwa, g rap&polo, kane, ll, PE.

early 90s: PE, ice cube, brand nubian, lons, tribe, cypress (dont front!!you did too), 3rd bass, main source, mc eiht, special ed, etc...

92-95: nas (one album only), wutang, roots, organized konfusion, diamond d, big l (lifestylez....got me thru highschool...), showbiz and ag, brand nubian, tribe, dre, biggie, g rap, mop, gang starr, jeru, masta ase, grouphome, peterock and cl smooth, akineyle, largepro, kurious, stimulated dummies, casual, del, heiro, saafir, Freestylefellowship, outkast, common sense (soul by the pund...), jayz (the speedy flow days...), gravediggaz, krs, mobb deep, snoop, tragedy, black moon, smif n wessun, heltah by 96, nyc mixtapes....

96-99: "the advent of player hating/backpacking/and 'underground'" as i like to recall....beginning with the cenobites on fondele em i guess...just when the interent started blowing up....but COFLOW was definitely the flagship act of indie hiphop. i was more into natural elements (lswift, abutta....banging), natural resources, arsonists (older stuff), jugganots, lfudge, pumpkin head, jlive (BANGING), pre-fame EMINEM, believe it or not, was great...."went to bed wit a keg/woke up wit a 40"...lol), motion man, aceyalone, rasco, asia, peace, abrude, thristen howl III, skam, shabaam sahdeeq (so, so underrated....one of my faves.), tony bones, nonphixion crew, cage, necro, etc..., atoms family-pre can/ox, wordsworth, breeze evahflowin, punchline, saukrates, frankenstein, choclair, l*roneous, dilated peoples (ev is amazing), masta ase redux, nots click, siah and yeshua da po ed, etc..etc..etc.....im leaving out many im sure, and showing my eastcoast bias i guess...

99-present. while deep in my indie player hating days, i swore i would never listen to jiggy type rap ever again. i was content in the world of punk rock bicycle/graffiti-racking/internet/college/snobby/white/elitist/music culture. it was fun while it lasted. until one day, in early 1999, i was visiting my girl in rome, italy, and we went clubbing with a bunch of girls. and while we were in this basement type crazy italian club, im leaning up against the bar, nursing a rumandcoke, watching my girl and many others dance....cuz i dont danc eto bullshit, right? anyway, jayz's "money cash hoes" comes on...the EPITOME (in title even) of what i have sworn off forever....supreficial rap. and , to my surprise or horror, the place goes crazy. the simple piano sweep programming of a then unabused swizz beats tearing through the crowd. i watch my girl and many others dance like crazy, with smiles on their faces and the entire crowd just totally FEELING it...and i realized that this is what music is about, first and foremost. imagine putting on an anticon record in a club, fuck it , even a party....shit would come to a grinding halt. and thats not to say im completely dismissing cerebral music- just that it isnt ALL there is. so, in one moment in italy, jayz brought me back onto the dancefloor and cured me of my PHD (playerhating disease). now i mix my show and ag with my lil wayne with my sole with my jayz with my mop with my grouch with my nelly. yes nelly. its all good in the hood.

peace.

yeah, seeking....thats why i love that song slug (well, atmosphere) did where the chorus goes "some got pencils and some got guns/some of us fight and some of us run" or something like that.....he kind of outlines the whole spectrum of "types" of kids into hiphop. and the line that i love, which you reminded me of, is where he says "this music taught me to read books..." and i remeber when i was still listening to lots of shit, PE was the first music to ever really push me to do research, and to read and educate myself....i still get jokes from my family about the fact that i read the autobiography of malcolm x in like 5th grade and gave a school-wide presentation on it....every other kid was like "amelia bedelia" or "encyclopedia brown" and im all like "the white devil!!!!" (and im white as the driven snow...!!!) it was funny...and totally cause i was rockin out to PE. they completely shaped my political mindset for my wholelife and took my intellectually down a road that ive never strayed from. in fact, it was thru militant reading and interests that i came round-about into good rock like minorthreat....essentially, PE turned me onto the threat in a way...hahahaa. i always wanted a blown up picture on my wall of the shot where chuck d is wearing a minor threat shirt and then theres another classic shot of ian mckaye rocking a PE shirt....what a great flick thatd be. oh well....heres to PE. salut!

Guest Dusty Lipschitz

im feelin you nise

and i want to thank you for writing a book when and where a book is deserved and not just a cliff note version

god knows you aint lazy on these keys...

i enjoy reading your responses

JOHNNY CASH

Originally posted by TheGarbageMan

Young Zee---Outsidaz

I didnt think anyone really knew about him, hes the fuckin man reppin Newark, New Jerz THE BRICKS

Whoa I remember that guy from 93... didnt he have that song return of the holly one....

Id have to say that jugganots album (shit was nock), Tony the skitso, Devine Styler, Foriegn legion, Shape Shifters, atu and cve, Buss driver, Radio enactive, Dialated, J5 (iremember when there first single dropped brings a smyl to my face ) That Common and Just ro joint, Kurrious, and that group Hometeam with that song Pick it up. from 91 or something. The Dorian 3 ( the song mr bartendr, thats the anthem) Fellowship, anything Battle axe. And I love my Kurupt oh and Spice one 2 short..... fuck it I just like music

But if I had to pick one it would probobly be OMD

god damn..

i dont understand how anyone can necessarily call slug's latest shit hip hop. it's like r&b, but not really, he's singing/rappin over ant beats. get the Headshots "Se7en" tape if you havent already. I'm sure most Slug fans have the Atmosphere Overcast! EP or LP....man can rhyme a cat up a tree and he still has a lot of potential, but i dont know he's taken this direction.

and for buck65, i still feel him, vertex was cool, but I feel he's limiting himself also. If you ever have the chance, download the Sebutones Psoriasis EP (im saying download it because it's out of print, even after a re-release) now Psoriasis is what I'd call advancement, for it's time.

PE was the steelio in their day, now weve moved on to some ill fated shit. Im strongly awaiting the return of the old school. I miss the Od Beastie Boys, Run DMC, Whatever happened to Luke Campbell, Sir Mix A Lot, Planet Rock, Freestylers, my picks in current might have to be Eminem, DRE, Kool Keith, LMNO, Swollen Memebers freestyle fellowship, J5, Supernat, jedi mind tricks, wu, yall know

Guest i create destruction

this is for seeking and nise. you've probably already heard of them, but if you miss pe you might want to check dead prez. their lp is called let's get free.

dead prez are fucking garbage. they wish they were PE. they wish they had any clue what the fuck they were talking about. giving people a false sence of purpose of security is IMO worse than giving them nothign at all. anyone that tries to focus on inequality in this country in terms of race, needs to be slapped. its no longer simply a case of race, its class and education. dead prez fall terribly short by trying to get their listeners to hate 'the white man.' but really the days of being controlled by 'the man' are over.

Originally posted by seeking innocence

dead prez are fucking garbage. they wish they were PE. they wish they had any clue what the fuck they were talking about. giving people a false sence of purpose of security is IMO worse than giving them nothign at all. anyone that tries to focus on inequality in this country in terms of race, needs to be slapped. its no longer simply a case of race, its class and education. dead prez fall terribly short by trying to get their listeners to hate 'the white man.' but really the days of being controlled by 'the man' are over.

AMEN BROTHER... AMEN

Originally posted by krs702

some mainstream stuff isent that bad like mos def.. i admire his work.. he can freestyle incredibly good.. but if its something like master p.. im gonna change the channel..

yeah i agree mos def is cool and i like common, and M.O.P., nas's illmatic, pharoah monch, jay Z's reasonable doubt aint bad, um....theres a few i cant think of any more right now.....(this is Seek One)

laters -------Dunce:cool:

Originally posted by seeking innocence

Seeking et. al.,

I suppose that when chuck d and the proff were talking about jews and how evil they were, they were dealing with "class" issues. That's bullshit. In the early nineties race was no more an issue than it was today. I guess that PE were to busy reading farrakhan (I apologize if I misspelled his name), to pick up the communist manifisto(1848).

don't get me wrong, PE is far superior to Deadprez...musically and lyrically.

"my highschool teachers can suck my dick" Yeah, you tell em guy...

inept

for someone like me who feels so isolated and unconnected all of the time, it's interesting and scary to read nise's replies because in many ways i could have written them myself. i was never quite as snobby and there are certainly some additions and deletions that i would make on those lists, but whatever, that's minimal. the main point really is the similarity.

seeking innocence, it's also interesting that the debate turns back to dead prez and this was actually the first thing that we ever talked about on this board well over a year ago (along with bob hope). and while i wont try to tell you that dead prez is a good group (but they aren't bad), i do think that your critique of them is pretty flawed.

and while PE provided me the opportunity to educate myself, as our man ask has pointed out, they put out some seriously ignorant stuff alongside (and sometimes within) incredible shit. whatever, we're all old and romanticize the past and i think that's what is happening.

Archived