travel tips/advice

slave_one

hi all; sorry if this has been done already...

i haven't traveled in a while via airplane. last time i flew somewhere was in 2000. just wanted to get some good tips and advice from all of you in terms of what and what not to bring with you on the plane; to be at the airport 3 hours in advance, etc...

like for example: i know you can't bring paint w/you that's for sure, but can you bring caps? will they confiscate that?

sorry for the stupid question; i really don't know. as always your respones are much appreciated.

your humble friend,

slave_one

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

you can bring caps. just don't have anything sharp on your carry on. they'll take it away.

american customs officers are dicks too.

where are you going, slaver?

three hours is too early for the airport, they tell everyone that in case of a delay and to spread out the check in process to reduce lines.

out of your town, i checked in 30 minutes before my (international) flight. so who knows. kinda wish i missed it though.

Travelling is great.

Just figure that you dont want to carry anything

even remotely suspicious on a plane.

I was given a flyer called 'Introduction to Islam' on the street

and I just tossed it in my bag. Please believe It got tossed before going to the airport.

i know who youre gonna visit slave! :)

well i try not to carry too much. i never check in my bags though. i am always afraid those fuckers would loose it. carry on is the best way, in my opinion.

nothing sharp, they will take it away. you can pack things that are sharp but you'll have to check it in.

Originally posted by slave_one

i am planning to go visit a friend out in kansas city, missouri. and i plan to visit other people as well; it's been a goal of mine to meet my 'internet friends'...

kansas? make sure to wear your ruby slippers...

i hereby invite you and the hub to my neck of the woods.

:idea: we'll explore the rockies and shoot a moose.

i'd like to visit her too..make sure you put in a good word for me, i have never met her but i might be trying to hit her up (through post) in a while..

anyway

domestic flights are simple to prepare for, mostly cuz they're short.

as far as check in times, allow a half an hour from arriving at the airport till plane boarding.. unless you are checking bags, allow one hour.

as far as airlines,

northwest is a bitch about early check in..they will not let you on a plane unless you've checked in at least 20 minutes before takeoff.

southwest is most lenient, if the plane is still on the ground, your on..

security isn't bad.

they stopped the random checks after main security

don't wear jewelry, a belt, shoes with metal or a bra full of a heavy metal underwire if you don't wanna be searched thoroughly

they will let you carry on most things that are reasonable (nothing sharp, highly flammable or aerosol)

caps will not be an issue.

for extras, i bring a snack or two (like a clif bar and some pretzels) plus a drink in case the drink service doesn't start for a while

i also like to bring reading material and music.

but it's only a domestic flight

don't get bogged down with too much extra shit.

the airlines will generally provide you with limited reading material, and a pen if you ask for it

get your pillow as soon as you get on the plane

a seat near the front is better so you can de-plane fast.

good luck!

hi slave. i hope you have an awsome and safe trip!

well, 3 hours is on the safe side, usually we do that, or atleast 2.

as for the stuff you can bring on the plane, like everyone said, sharp items is a no no. you cant bring scissors (even the lil kind you cut your nose hairs with, my dad learned the hard way, ha ha ha) or even tweezers. thats how strict they are-- but thats only if its a carry-on. if you check them in, then they're fine.

there is a fee for any bag over a certain weight.. i think 75 lbs? dont bring your whole woredrobe/makeup studio with you, just always bring the basics you need. i always used to over pack, it was so retarted because i didnt use half of the clothes/makeup/shoes id bring. and bags/backpacks instead of a purse is easier (in my opinon) to travel in. i hate when shit spills out of my purse.

im not sure about paint.. :( sorry.

im not sure how long your trip is but i get bored easily so bring a book, your cd player, magazines, shit like that or you go crazy (i do!) and bring snacks!!!!!!!!! :D

have fun!

Yeah, well I know too..So there...:crazy:

Anyhoo....Here's a rhyme for ya.

Tips are ok,

knives are not.

Come and see me,

Or your gonna get shot.

Carry-on is best,

Nomadda where you go.

Be sure to pack well,

Prepare for rain and snow.

I be here waiting,

planes are fun.

I really just need,

to get the hell out of this sun.

It's FRYING MY BRAIN!!!

thank you awesome people!! (and my myspace buds as well):)

yeah the media loves to makes it sound like EVERYTHING has changed bigtime since 2001 - making travellers paranoid. i haven't travelled bcuz the whole idea of going anywhere (especially out of the country) seems like a hassle at the airport: long lines, delays, lost luggage, customs, just pure chaos.

but hearing it straight from you guys/gals is a big relief.

aint shit changed.

!@#$% knows the deal (not so surprisingly, ha).

anymore than 1 hour early to the airport, and you'll be bored off your ass.

i've never met anyone that flew to kansas on purpose. weird.

i've also never met anyone that flew to, or even was from, either of the dakotas.

is anyone here from the dakotas?

what the fuck goes on in the dakotas?

those states suck, IMO.

we should trade them to canada in exchange for some putine, and strippers that you can jerk off on for $40can.

(for the record, i dont eat putine or jerk off on stripeprs)

Originally posted by SteveAustin

slave...I'd avoid kc in the summer...that place is humid as all living hell. I flew in there from Cali one August and it literally felt like everything was melting. just nasty... wait for the fall.

i totally agree; i went to st. louis during labor day and it was HOT and HUMID!

i plan to go to KC around labor day; i have no vacation days yet, so i gotta take advantage of the holidays.

Originally posted by <KEY3>

you know what?

are you accusing me of something?

oh... 3 pages done.

Now, I'm by no means saying I can point out a radical Islamic fundamentalist from a crowd of faceless e-handles, but......

Hahaha....damn 3 pages? Getting a little carried away aren't we? ;)

I'm not using more than a black pen, so I dont think it's overkill.

really it's just one idea I'm working out.

oh... maybe I should mail them to you :scowl:

The fine folk at AllCity in Paris strongly recommended that I didn't bring paint on a flight, or if I did to make sure that they're in a completely sealed, separate container because there is an off chance cans may blow if the hold gets hit by sudden pressure differences.

I ignored them and my paint came through fine. Your call.

The best bit of advice: Travel Light

Think of it like this... do you need a months supply of toothpaste?

Are you going to the tundra and really need that parka?

Do you honestly think you wont be able to find sunscreen in florida?

seriously... when I travel now if it's for less than 3/4 days,

I will only bring a carry on and I advise you all to do the same.

There's nothing better than being able to skip past all the luggage.

so the tip:

contact your airline and find the exact dimensions allowed for 'carry-ons'.

Then get a bag that is that size... and stuff it FULL!

Girls... you get a purse AND a carry on.

Originally posted by <KEY3>

so the tip:

contact your airline and find the exact dimensions allowed for 'carry-ons'.

Then get a bag that is that size... and stuff it FULL!

Girls... you get a purse AND a carry on.

guys can take a carry on as well as backpack or small bag deal....it's considered your purse, or 'personal bag'

oh and if your going to get your drink on....buy that before hand. small bottles and a mixer. it always a pain, and expensive, to get the damn fligth assistants attention again.

many thanx ladies and germs; i'm not going anywhere til labor day but i'm the type of person who likes to plan ahead for some reason...my friends don't plan for shit; they expect me to do all of it and they assume i'm the one with the maps and all the travel stuff...sheesh.

in 2000 i brought back my first beltons from germany; i brought back as many i could fit in my bag all squished in with my clothes and shit; what did they think i had in there, hairspray? i still wonder to this day cuz i walked right past customs...

packing light is definitely a good idea; but me being paranoid that i'm gonna run out of something, i always like to bring an extra pair of everything, especially socks and underwear.

Archived