GRAFFITI IN THE NEWS MEDIA SUPERTHREAD

metallix

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: County Hotline to Help Combat Graffiti (CA)

Guess sarcasm doesn't come across all the time...

Especially when inexperience cheesedicks like you try to bust it out and it blows up in their face.

Look up the concept of "framing" and then get back to us....

....actually, don't get back to us. You'll just fuck that up too.

Re: County Hotline to Help Combat Graffiti (CA)

Especially when inexperience cheesedicks like you try to bust it out and it blows up in their face.

Look up the concept of "framing" and then get back to us....

....actually, don't get back to us. You'll just fuck that up too.

Thanks Lens... I appreciate the insight you have offered..

Re: Getting rid of NYC's graffiti

thats like throwing a bucket of water onto a forest fire. seriously nyc graff will only stop when.. scratch that it will never stop it over came the buffing on the trains and look at the trains now. there still being bombed this is just to try and reasure the voting community that the mayor is tryin to stop it

On the Streets, Graffiti Is Making a Name for Itself

Friday, October 13, 2006; Page WE35

Graffiti: Eyesore or art form?

Would you believe eyesore and art form?

As the street-art aesthetic moves ever more steadily up from the underground of antisocial vandals and miscreants into the mainstream worlds of fashion, advertising and art galleries, our culture's schizoid state of acceptance/rejection of the outlaw medium is perhaps nowhere better expressed than by Joe Connolly, as quoted in "Infamy," a 2005 documentary on graffiti and its practitioners available Tuesday ($19.95).

"This is gorgeous, this is beautiful," says Connolly, referring to one of the intricate, multicolored murals (known as "pieces") that adorn the streets not just of Connolly's home town of Los Angeles, but of contemporary urban landscapes everywhere. Then he pivots to point to a series of tangled scribbles, examples of the even more ubiquitous "tags" -- those illegible signatures that seem to decorate every flat surface of the modern city:

"As soon as you turn around from this artwork," he says, his voice dropping from admiration to disgust, "look at this pile of crap on the side."

Known as the Graffiti Guerrilla for his one-man crusade to clean up, or "buff," those spray-painted John Hancocks into oblivion, Connolly's is but one voice of many in director Doug ("Scratch") Pray's film, which, despite an effort to be nonjudgmental about people who shoplift and deface property that doesn't belong to them, comes down solidly on the side of the outlaws.

As someone who has cleaned up his share of MS-13 graffiti from his garage door -- cursing all the while -- I have to admit that even I began to see the phenomenon in a new light after watching the eye-opening film.

Don't get me wrong. I'm no fan of mindless tagging, especially when gangs use it to mark territory. But after watching Pray's film, I have a better appreciation -- no, make that understanding -- of the role it plays in the hierarchy and evolution of street art. In other words, at the bottom. Which is not to say it's unimportant. In the words of Earsnot (a New York-based tagger known not just for having "bombed," or saturated, the city with countless variations of his colorful moniker, but for being gay), tagging, or the leaving of one's mark, is "the most buttery essence" of graffiti. And he's happy to leave it at that.

"Get a graffiti coloring book," he says, scorning his more artistically ambitious peers who want to waste their time painting those silly, eye-popping murals -- you know, the ones that even anti-graffiti activists like Connolly seem to like.

Not everyone in the film sees things in such black and white terms. The artist known as Claw (short for Claudia) sees the divisions between tagging, "throw-ups" (hastily executed medium-size works) and the time-consuming pieces as more of a continuum. Having graduated from a rebellious teenager into a serious professional -- she makes a living as a graffiti-themed designer and stylist, with a stylized paw as her logo -- Claw says the members of today's graffiti-art elite are not born but made.

"If you don't bomb," she says, "then don't piece," explaining why the best and most respected artists all began as taggers: Saber, Toomer, Earsnot and others profiled in the film. Okay, maybe not Earsnot. His seems to be a case of arrested development.

"If you can't support your name," she continues, "then don't bother because graffiti is not the pretty part. Piecing is just the glossy exterior. It's like, look, we're artists. But to get to that level, you have to spend a couple of years on the street, creating a name and a rep for yourself."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/12/AR2006101200383.html

Re: Web Site Fuels Graffiti, Tagging Issue In Oregon

there was a dude that blogged his going overs of graffiti, took before and after pics, wrote cute little comments about how ignorant and dumb "taggers" must be, etc. anyways the cops found out, no doubt from off of here, (the dude would sign on here and link his blog through the portland thread) and then they fucking shut down his blog page cause they said it was provocking more graffiti! it was all over the news and they are thinking about pressing charges against him! poetic justice perhaps? just to finish this little story off for yall.

Re: "Reverse Graffiti" article

haha. what's the legal drinking age there?

he probably sand blasts the wall...and for $600 per day for graff? fucked up...

No.. £600. That's somewhere in the region of $1100.

Re: "Reverse Graffiti" article

whinging hater dustwardprez

"errrrr its not graffiti if you get paid for it!"

shut the fuck up

the guy is making some money out of it

you little bitch, you will never be that good

EVER. PERIOD

so go stick a tampon up your pussy and fuck off

Re: Web Site Fuels Graffiti, Tagging Issue In Oregon

So yeah, I checked NascarDad's site earlier today and it was down... so... what? really? the cops shut down his shit? I mean, I always wondered why he didn't understand that he was commiting the same crime but, really? They shut him down?

Re: Getting rid of NYC's graffiti

like that will stop anything. Overcame the buff....now this ....big deal...are they gonna climb to heaven and put this shit on overpasses? howbout rooftops and fire escapes? talk about a dumb fuckin idea. To all you new yorks writers double up on scribes and teach those fuckers a lesson. use etch in your mops and get em....better yet....they want vandalism take a fuckin knife to their tires after you bomb their vans...they are doing as much for the community as the president does for our country.....god, why do people concentrate on writers so much....o i know why....because we are all cutthroats who rob and kill people and we are all gang members...or could it possibly be they dont understand and dont WANT to understand? they just dont fuckin care.....either way fuck these bitches. I am gonna move to new york and teach their kids how to write graffiti.....i dont know what the fuck that was all about....i dont now how much of a valid point i am making but, i am venting because it seems we are targeted more than thiefs, rapists, tweakers and crackheads put together. Its bullshit.

word up.

Re: On the Streets, Graffiti Is Making a Name for Itself

is that the best retort you could come up with?

WOrthless.......just like your thread

Well from what I've seen, you've got over eleven thousand posts of bullshit, insults and hate, hardly anything to be proud of.

I don't need to insult you, you do it for me, so I just reused your insult. It's a waste of time coming up with anything intelligent to say to ignorant scum like you anyway.

Archived