South Korea: Hostage killed

DEE38

Tuesday, June 22, 2004 Posted: 1:28 PM EDT (1728 GMT)

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2004/WORLD/meast/06/22/iraq.hostage/top.hostage.tues.jpg'>

Kim Sun-il, a South Korean man taken hostage by militants on June 17, sits in front of his captors in this image taken Sunday from a video broadcast on Al-Jazeera television. The gunmen killed Kim after giving South Korea an ultimatum to cancel plans to send more troops to Iraq. Kim, an evangelical Christian who speaks Arabic, worked in Iraq for a year as a translator for a South Korean firm supplying goods to the U.S. military.

----------

SEOUL, South Korea (CNN) -- Iraqi insurgents have killed the South Korean civilian they were holding hostage, according to South Korean Foreign Ministry officials.

SEOUL, South Korea (CNN) -- Iraqi insurgents have killed the South Korean civilian they were holding hostage, according to South Korean Foreign Ministry officials.

A spokesman said the U.S. military informed the South Korean Embassy in Iraq that they had found a body that appeared to be that of an Asian male, the officials said.

They sent a photograph of the body, and the embassy identified Kim Sun-Il, who was kidnapped on June 17 in Fallujah, west of Baghdad.

The Islamist Web site "Voice of Jihad" also posted a message saying that the insurgents had killed Kim.

Kim, 33, was an Arabic speaker and evangelical Christian who had worked in Iraq for a year as a translator for a South Korean firm supplying goods to the U.S. military.

In a video broadcast Sunday on Al-Jazeera, Kim cried in English, "Please get out of here. I don't want to die ... Your life is important, but my life is important."

The insurgents had demanded that South Korea cancel plans to send 3,000 additional troops to Iraq.

Overnight, hundreds of South Koreans gathered in central Seoul on to condemn the dispatch of South Korean troops to Iraq, but the government is so far not backing away from its decision.

Police said protesters holding candles and placards that read "I don't want to die. South Korean troops must get out" gathered in a downtown street, chanting "We are against the dispatch of troops!"

Earlier, Foreign Ministry spokesman Shin Bong-Kil said that South Korea was trying to establish contact with as many countries and organizations as possible that could help win Kim's release.

He declined to comment on whether South Korea had direct contact with the kidnappers.

South Korean government officials had given numerous interviews to Arab media appealing for Kim's release, Shin said.

South Korea plans to send 3,000 troops to Arbil in the northern Kurdish region of Iraq. Military officials say about half are combat troops trained to protect the rest, who are to help rebuild Iraq, distribute aid and train security forces.

Some 670 South Korean military medics and engineers in southern Iraq since May last year will move to Arbil to join the main force, which Seoul sees as a difficult but vital gesture to the United States, an ally with 37,500 troops in the South to deter North Korea.

The deployment would make South Korea the third-largest contributor to the coalition in Iraq, after the United States and Britain. (Full story)

-- CNN's Sohn Jie-ae in Seoul, South Korea, contributed to this report.

cnn.com

----------

and another one.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

sorry to bust on the cleansheets, but they are most definitely actually taking and killing hostages.

what they are failing to realize is that this is the kinda shit that is gonna backfire; more fodder for the pro-war media and gov't to use against the 'terrorists in iraq'

RIP

to all the evangelical christians attempting to make some sort of difference in this world by going to a warzone and siding with the occupiers.

terribly sad.

get a clue.

i gotta admit, if this works, and it forces all the foreigners out of the middle east, and notably saudi arabia, it will be interesting to watch the world's economy collapse under the weight of its own depency on oil.

i hope i'm not coming off like an asshole here.

it really is horribly sad that people are getting executed like that.

Originally posted by !@#$%

sorry to bust on the cleansheets, but they are most definitely actually taking and killing hostages.

what they are failing to realize is that this is the kinda shit that is gonna backfire; more fodder for the pro-war media and gov't to use against the 'terrorists in iraq'

RIP

to all the evangelical christians attempting to make some sort of difference in this world by going to a warzone and siding with the occupiers.

terribly sad.

get a clue.

i gotta admit, if this works, and it forces all the foreigners out of the middle east, and notably saudi arabia, it will be interesting to watch the world's economy collapse under the weight of its own depency on oil.

i hope i'm not coming off like an asshole here.

it really is horribly sad that people are getting executed like that.

No, you're right. Except that the Middle East would still have a lot of oil resources if all the westerners left. That's why Bush is bombing Iraq in the first place, to get a foothold in the Middle East.

All this hostage killing business is definitly a step backward for the Iraqi's though, they are not convincing anyone of their ability to run a country other than themselves.

Originally posted by fermentor666

All this hostage killing business is definitly a step backward for the Iraqi's though, they are not convincing anyone of their ability to run a country other than themselves.

the iraqi's and others doing these hostage killings don't want the new government in place.

RIP KIM.

Originally posted by nomadawhat

the iraqi's and others doing these hostage killings don't want the new government in place.

RIP KIM.

What, they don't want a US chosen dictator installed in their country? The nerve of those bastards... all the bombs we drop on them and this is the thanks we get.

No, you're right. Except that the Middle East would still have a lot of oil resources if all the westerners left. That's why Bush is bombing Iraq in the first place, to get a foothold in the Middle East.

yeah, of course bush wants the stranglehold.

thing is, those westerners are in the middle east to RUN the production and refinement.

that's why if they all run, the resources won't mean quite as much. production will plummet, the refineries will shut down etc...

the iraqis never convinced many people of anything.

their old dictator thought everyone was against him, they couldn't get sanctions lifted, couldn't convince the US that they didn't have WMD, and probably now, cannot convince Al-Qaeda that these are not the tactics to use.

man i feel bad for this poor guy he was just there WORKING he didnt deserve this and yes it will be used as pro war fuel but rightly so. im surprised you spun this to make it his fault.the only culprit(s) are the bastards who kidnapped him,made uncompliable demands,then executed him

Originally posted by nomadawhat

RIP KIM.

Yeah, that's my point. The guys taking the hostages are the guys who WANT to run Iraq, and cutting people's heads off does not help their case.

Originally posted by 00

man i feel bad for this poor guy he was just there WORKING he didnt deserve this and yes it will be used as pro war fuel but rightly so. im surprised you spun this to make it his fault.the only culprit(s) are the bastards who kidnapped him,made uncompliable demands,then executed him

was this for me?

i never said it was the dude's fault.

if it's rightly prowar fuel, maybe you should join the fight.

i think the u.s. shares at least partly in the blame for the fiasco currently being endured by far too many in the middle east.

Originally posted by !@#$%

yeah, of course bush wants the stranglehold.

thing is, those westerners are in the middle east to RUN the production and refinement.

that's why if they all run, the resources won't mean quite as much. production will plummet, the refineries will shut down etc...

I've never been to one of these oil rigs in the Middle East but I'm sure there are many Arabs that work at them, and if they chased the Westerners out then they probably have the ability to take over oiling to suit the needs of themselves. Production will definitly plummet, but if the "terrorists" take over they won't want to send any oil to other countries anyway.

if the "terrorists" take over they won't want to send any oil to other countries anyway.

I don't know about that. It'd be a great way to accumulate funds to send the evil westerners back to hell....and buy weapons...and set up cells...the list goes on.

thank you Mr. Bush for fighting this war on terrorism and increasing their recruitment pool. its about time i gave some more thought to getting my dual citizenship.

Yeah, that's my point. The guys taking the hostages are the guys who WANT to run Iraq, and cutting people's heads off does not help their case.

i misread you. but, i don't think al-queda wants to run the show, they just don't want a western government in place. they are not trying to get approval from the us by their actions at all. they are terrorist/soldiers and will do what they believe is neccesary to rid the mideast of the infidels. there are in no way concerned with what others approve of.

yes it was for you

did i imply i was prowar? im sorry i just feel like this dosent help the anti war stance one bit and it makes sense that this case will be used as yet another reason to combat these people.

terrorists killed hostages tied to american efforts that are non military.these guys didnt sign up to fight.but were murdered just the same.

could this be the EVIL of which bush speaks?

until the coalition pulls out of iraq, and a non puppet gov't is given full control of iraq the killing will keep happening. its sad but true. these people dont support the new government, want the right to control their own country, not be ruled by the west.

interesting fact, every major postion in the "new iraqi government" is filled by american and british citizens, who defected from the country and are now set to rule it.

I've never been to one of these oil rigs in the Middle East but I'm sure there are many Arabs that work at them, and if they chased the Westerners out then they probably have the ability to take over oiling to suit the needs of themselves.

you think that's why over 30,000 westerners were in saudi arabia even up to three months ago??

(there are about 20,000 there now)