Vent

GucciCondom

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ndvI like this business because once I send in an invoice it freezes the entire job to where they cant close it out until all their bills are paid. They could just not close out the job, but people in accounting will absolutely dig in their ass. I dont worry about not getting paid because a majority of these companies are 50-250 million dollars in sales. I have had some of these companies give me ultimatums before. Some have said we will pay you, but you'll never do work for us again. I'll take my money thanks. Lol.

16 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

@ndvI like this business because once I send in an invoice it freezes the entire job to where they cant close it out until all their bills are paid. They could just not close out the job, but people in accounting will absolutely dig in their ass. I dont worry about not getting paid because a majority of these companies are 50-250 million dollars in sales. I have had some of these companies give me ultimatums before. Some have said we will pay you, but you'll never do work for us again. I'll take my money thanks. Lol.

In that case, I guess it's better to keep em.  Although, I am sure that's a catch 22

21 hours ago, Dark_Knight said:

I got laid off in March from covid and won’t be back until at least April. This is a reminder that retirement is probably boring 

I would debate this.  I feel like "retirement", whatever that may look like, will be the very best years of my life.  It will be when I have paid off everything, I own land, and I have enough investments that it's like I'm getting a paycheck without having to work.

If you don't plan for retirement then being old and poor could be pretty boring. 

3 minutes ago, Dirty_habiT said:

I would debate this.  I feel like "retirement", whatever that may look like, will be the very best years of my life.  It will be when I have paid off everything, I own land, and I have enough investments that it's like I'm getting a paycheck without having to work.

If you don't plan for retirement then being old and poor could be pretty boring. 

I have everything paid off in my life and no debt. A significant amount of money saved. Still bored. I suppose if our borders weren’t closed I’d be having the time of my life, but life in covid is a little different.

1 hour ago, Dark_Knight said:

I have everything paid off in my life and no debt. A significant amount of money saved. Still bored. I suppose if our borders weren’t closed I’d be having the time of my life, but life in covid is a little different.

perfect time to start painting again

I have been working  M W F and only 8-2pm , this week i had monday wed thurs off and was bored by wednesday off and was already weirdly happy to be back at work today

Stockholm syndrome? Or having a semblance or normalcy to maintain sanity?

5 hours ago, +plus+ said:

perfect time to start painting again

This has been on the agenda. A few things have prevented it, but I do think it would be fun to fall back in to during this unexpected halt in life.

that dependence on a schedule and  a place to be everyday becomes an addiction all in its own. You spend every day waiting for the glorious day where you no longer have to work, then when you finally get it, you realize it’s a part of who you are, and you’re kind of lost without it. Easy to deny that reality from the outside looking in, but trust me. 

5 hours ago, Dark_Knight said:

This has been on the agenda. A few things have prevented it, but I do think it would be fun to fall back in to during this unexpected halt in life.

that dependence on a schedule and  a place to be everyday becomes an addiction all in its own. You spend every day waiting for the glorious day where you no longer have to work, then when you finally get it, you realize it’s a part of who you are, and you’re kind of lost without it. Easy to deny that reality from the outside looking in, but trust me. 

Why I don't wait for retirement, do what you want now if you can.  You could work your ass toward retirement and drop dead of a heart attack before you ever get there.  Also what you describe above reminds me of people who have thrown themselves so much into work that they forgot to have a life outside, interests, hobbies, whatever.  They make it to retirement and suddenly have no idea what to do with the rest of their life and find themselves feeling bored, useless, unhappy.

30 minutes ago, One Man Banned said:

Why I don't wait for retirement, do what you want now if you can.  You could work your ass toward retirement and drop dead of a heart attack before you ever get there.  Also what you describe above reminds me of people who have thrown themselves so much into work that they forgot to have a life outside, interests, hobbies, whatever.  They make it to retirement and suddenly have no idea what to do with the rest of their life and find themselves feeling bored, useless, unhappy.

This was exactly the problem. Between work and fatherhood, I had lost any sense of who I was. On one edge of the sword, I’d say that this whole covid chaos was a blessing to me. Reminded me to stop and smell the roses. Get more time with my kid/finding myself again. When it’s all over, I doubt I’ll go back to the work world I was in. No amount of money is worth giving up your identity.

That being said, I’m still very bored, and still trying to figure out how to fill my days 🤙🏼

2 hours ago, Dark_Knight said:

This was exactly the problem. Between work and fatherhood, I had lost any sense of who I was. On one edge of the sword, I’d say that this whole covid chaos was a blessing to me. Reminded me to stop and smell the roses. Get more time with my kid/finding myself again. When it’s all over, I doubt I’ll go back to the work world I was in. No amount of money is worth giving up your identity.

That being said, I’m still very bored, and still trying to figure out how to fill my days 🤙🏼

this is when you start building up and flipping bikes. weird old steel frames are calling 

@Dark_Knight- it sounds like others have hinted towards it but you just need (more) hobbies it sounds like, and you already know that.  That's kinda what I was referring to before when I said retirement must be the best.  You have ALL the time you want to do wtf ever you want.  You want to weld stuff, cool.  You want to build houses?  Awesome, you want to go learn to drive a race car?  It's any of those things that you couldn't do normally when trying to raise a kid and work to pay bills at the same time.  You have resources to do whatever now and there are plenty of things to do that don't involve directly being right around people.

5 minutes ago, Dirty_habiT said:

@Dark_Knight- it sounds like others have hinted towards it but you just need (more) hobbies it sounds like, and you already know that.  That's kinda what I was referring to before when I said retirement must be the best.  You have ALL the time you want to do wtf ever you want.  You want to weld stuff, cool.  You want to build houses?  Awesome, you want to go learn to drive a race car?  It's any of those things that you couldn't do normally when trying to raise a kid and work to pay bills at the same time.  You have resources to do whatever now and there are plenty of things to do that don't involve directly being right around people.

Main thing I’ve learned is not to live for retirement. I believe you said something along those lines before. That’s what I was doing before all of this. Just working 60-80 hour weeks most of the time stacking away. I’d rather enjoy the little ‘youth’ I have left than set myself up for when I’m old and unable.  I could go off on how toxic I think capitalistic work force mentality is but that’s another topic for another time.

I agree with you about not working yourself to death.  My most recent job has been the most stressful job I've ever had to deal with and it's been the most hours I've ever worked.  It's also been the most money per hour I've ever made consistently.... so the trade off, for me, is ok for now.  I will not sustain doing this though, by choice because I know what burning out is like.  It's very common in the industry I'm in.  But, to circle back to what you were saying about living your life while you have youth, I think the trap that many people fall into is exactly as you've described.  They stack money and toil away at the job site, working 60h weeks hoping to someday get somewhere.  Putting fun to the side and studying/working hard with every free moment.

It reminds me of Aesop's fable (I think it is) where the ants work all summer long stacking food for winter.  The grasshopper plays all summer and when winter rolls around, is hungry because he didn't work to save any food.  I think that's kind of a decent lesson but in today's world the "right" thing, in my mind, is to be the grasshoper while making money.  Sounds super deep right?  It's not.  It just means don't make choices for yourself that will cornhole you into "forced unhappiness".  For MANY people this is having a kid.  I am BY NO MEANS suggesting that people don't like their kids, I'm, however, suggesting that having a kid at the wrong time can lead to a great deal of financial strain.

That is only one example.  Another could be, don't make the choice to stay at one job forever thinking that you will somehow work your way up to the top.  If you try to do this, what you will notice is, the guys at the top, are getting hired in at the top.  Very few people in the company have upward movement.  It's not pessimism, it's just that it doesn't happen often.  It's more attractive and economical to hire an outsider in some/many cases than it is to hire internally.  I'm sure a myriad of factors that I can't name go into something like that.

Anyway, yes.... please have fun while you can.  I think every day should be spent without boredom.  If you find yourself feeling bored, you must get up and do something.  You're in control of it.

11 hours ago, Dark_Knight said:

I get it.  Didn't have the exact struggles but had to work through shit like being a subculture/counterculture type of dude but also having a professional life, kind of living a double identity and not wanting to work just to exist.

One of the benefits of Covid-19 is that for the motivated it does encourage a lot of DIY activities.  I guess when you're bored and you don't know what you like it leaves you open to being able to explore all types of shit, like step up to the buffet and sample shit and when you find what you like you can come back and put that on your plate.

3 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

That is only one example.  Another could be, don't make the choice to stay at one job forever thinking that you will somehow work your way up to the top.  If you try to do this, what you will notice is, the guys at the top, are getting hired in at the top.  Very few people in the company have upward movement.  It's not pessimism, it's just that it doesn't happen often.  It's more attractive and economical to hire an outsider in some/many cases than it is to hire internally.  I'm sure a myriad of factors that I can't name go into something like that.

I completely agree with this statement, it's pretty much the standard operating procedure at most major corporations. One way I've managed to get myself ahead at most companies is to be able to cross train myself to manage multiple departments from within, and also have skill sets outside of my profession should one day my job become obsolete. long story short: learn as many skills as possible and market yourself according to your own value.

I would think so. Considering the more money you have in there the more "paycheck" you get from the interest. The only way I'd justify it was if you need to survive or if you have the means of replacing whatever you "borrow" out of retirement. 

if you're into video games you can consider your retirement as this worker that you are training to get the largest paycheck as possible. You increase this workers ability to provide you larger and larger paychecks at retirement by putting more and more money into retirement. 

The only way it makes sense is if you need to survive abs or you have a good plan to replace it. You do not want to atrophy your worker when you need him the most. 

Thinking about it like this may help you make a decision you're comfortable with. 

Also if you have some giant'ish pile of money in retirement and you want to make a small one time purchase I don't think that's terrible. Just don't do it often or regularly. Other than that leave it alone if you want my opinion. 

21 minutes ago, Dark_Knight said:

I have three different retirement plans. Figured I could drain one and sit on a lot. Union pensions keep getting fucked tho. So idk how much interest any of it will gain

these are questions for a financial advisor. the tax penalties on retirement-specific plans can be tough as hell on early withdrawals 

Archived