martial arts

coldmilkcup

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i used to do tong long kung fu when i was younger i didnt realy like that style.i was going to do capoeira but then found out that you get graded on plying instruments not just fighting skills.my brothers mate does a freestyle martial arts i cant rember the name at the moment but its meant to be good because you learn all difernt styles so thats what im gunna start doing.

Originally posted by villain

i don't know that much about tae kwon do... i was saying it seemed pretty well rounded to me.... except for maybe ground fighting. Alot of arts have insufficient ground fighting techniques so people take supplementary arts.

so the martial arts topic comes up every few months...

first off, i dont care how good you are at tae kwon do, it sucks. IT IS GOOD for very basic traditional kicking and punching, but there is so much more to karate then that. tae know do is probably most popular cause its easy to learn and gets you in shape by doing repetative things. everywhere i go, a tae kwon do place pops up.

if you want to get more teachnical, which i reccomend, take kenpo. not kempo. kenpo. make sure its the ED PARKER system if theres any place like that by you. so.... yeah kenpo by ed parker.

kenpo is by far one of the best, most violent, more agressive types of karate there is. it has a 360 degree attack/defense system which most katates dont have. ive fought high black belt tae know do guys, (who have just taken tkd), and ive kicked their ass. once you are exposed to kenpo, youd easily see why.

to anyone else that knows kenpo, come foward. theres gotta be someone out there.

yeah... it all depends on the dojo that you join.

In most cases the karate and TKD being taught today are 'sport arts' where the goal is to make light contact and score points. The karate I'm doing is an older style that has real world applications. Truth be told... it really doesnt matter what style you are doing if your only goal is slf-improvement. Being 'in training' is what makes you better, not the specific things you learn.

anyone ever heard of Kali?? Its Phillipino knife fighting my buddy has taken it for years and they train you to use machete's, multpile knife attack's (using 2 knives at once), whips, blowguns, and sticks. Basically any object a run of the mill Phillipino farmer could pick up and fend off warlords with. Anyway its crazy as shit and every sequence is a kill move, no pussy throat puches an shit just "cut you to ribbons then remove your organs type shit". he was showing me some cuts that can make the skin and muscle peel off your entire leg and shit. He carries 2 huge knives with poms on them at all times, and a beretta, and he's definitely crazy as hell. Well I would want to take that if I could afford it, Kali, yeah.

kali, arnis and escrima are all similar things.

I took an escrima seminar a few weeks ago and yes.. it's bad ass stickfighting.

I have to disagree with TreLoco.... a warlord will not be bested by a farmer. Warlords make war, all the time, they kill because they do. When it comes down to it, most farmers dont have what it takes to kill.

yeah... but it's bad ass anyways.

yeah Im not saying they're gonna pul some hero shit out on them and defend the village against a bunch of warriors but that, and fighting other villages trying to take their land was what they trained for, thats just where it comes from, its not my opinion.

• 1 month later...

my dad studied shorin ru and ishin ru for quite some time. 3rd degre black belt. he taught me until i was about 7 and then i quit for some odd reason. 7 year olds attention spans are weak, but i took it for about three years. both great styles. read up on them. i don't know if many schools teach them around the states.

Guest KING BLING

A client of mine a while back was the second top rated kick boxer in the united states...He didn't want the apartment I showed him because (as he illustrated) he couldnt get busy the way he freaked...fucking bas ass stoner guy too...

This shit talking on Tae Kwon Do is a fucking riot........compared to Karate?? I don't care what martial art you take........if you take it for light contact and bullshit point scoring for tournaments and trophies and gay shit to make you feel good about your materialistic ass, then fuck you! Tae Kwon Do is not a bad martial art by any means......you beat this guy up in a tournament.....you beat this guy up when you get in close.....blah blah blah......

I'd love to see that shit........what happens when you can't even get in close because you get lit the fuck up with a gang of kicks first??? Whatever you're good at cool..........but I've seen so many individuals practicing Tae Kwon Do that you can't even get near.......I also practiced Hapkido and Aikido defense techniques and breaks........so I might be a little biased on an experienced martial artists ideals and how to blend them correctly........too many schools teach hybrids out the gates.......Learn a primary martial art........a foundation.......then branch out! Don't learn hybrids.........learn your primary and then build off of it!

Stay open minded and do it for the experience........not to become Bruce Lee or some UFC meathead!

Archived