WST Black Books

sarifs&clips

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Joker, just curious if you know of, studied under, or were influenced by Quasar SBA? I see a hint of him in your work if I'm not mistaken..once again just curious, he was a big influence on me but in a whole different direction.

Quasar was definitely influential on me but it was in a round-a-bout way. Persue was an understudy of Quasar's and Persue and I got on well with each other over our music tastes, so we hung out often. Persue was doing very Quasar-like pieces and I really liked the direction he was going. Persue was taking what he learned from Quasar and adding his own touches to the style. It was still unmistakably inspired by Quasar but it had this cartoonish feel to it. The letters had movement and exaggerated sections that Quasar wasn't doing. I wish I had some examples to show you what I mean... the first piece that comes to mind was this Coax piece Persue did, it was amazing. I was definitely inspired by what the two of them had created together. I would go so far as to say that it probably shaped the style I have done for the last ten years.

Quasar was definitely influential on me but it was in a round-a-bout way. Persue was an understudy of Quasar's and Persue and I got on well with each other over our music tastes, so we hung out often. Persue was doing very Quasar-like pieces and I really liked the direction he was going. Persue was taking what he learned from Quasar and adding his own touches to the style. It was still unmistakably inspired by Quasar but it had this cartoonish feel to it. The letters had movement and exaggerated sections that Quasar wasn't doing. I wish I had some examples to show you what I mean... the first piece that comes to mind was this Coax piece Persue did, it was amazing. I was definitely inspired by what the two of them had created together. I would go so far as to say that it probably shaped the style I have done for the last ten years.

Joker, Is this the one you speak of?

scan0036_large.jpg

Just to tell my own Quasar story and to give the man his due..the year was 1988 and quasar had gotten bagged or actually was the only writer to escape a raid, on a truck yard involving several writers. One of the writers who got caught, (who will remain nameless) ratted Quasar out and he later got busted as well, anyways quasar, who was the undisputed style king of San Diego at the time, told everyone he had quit, but continued to write switching his whole style up to a more traditional nyc type style but with his trademark complex fills, and did a bunch of pieces under a number of aliases. I think he only did this style for less than one year but it was enough to spark me in doing the type of stuff that I do. I've tried many times but cant seem to do the type of fills quasar did.

Example:

eros5cs.png

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived