OK, this just fucking ruled my face into oblivion.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

^Right now we do, just not convenient enough for personal weaponry. But by the time those robots are around, it might be different...

Also, lasers are cool and all, but they have proven pretty tricky to use as weapons. We've been accustomed to see laser shots in movies as these little individual streaks that fly across the air like light bullets, and that's not how they work at all.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

line of fire?

same shit applies to bullets!

Only a laser goes from the gun to the target at the speed of light

ao there's actually less to worry about with 'line of fire'.

Plus a lazer isnt effected by wind or gravity, so long range shots are much more accurate.

This fact, combined with the accuracy of a robot, will make unwanted casualties a virtual nill.

and you figure a high powever lazer would only need to be on target for a nano second,

making the acutal 'packet' be mere millimeters.

hells.... the only thing stopping it is the curvature of the earth!

or gold... if those old cartoons knew something I didnt.

Actually, at distances, the strongest weapons-grade lasers we got have to be in contact 2 to 4 seconds to do damage... anything stepping in between not only gets fucked, but probably messes the attack up completely.

Plus, they need serious juice, and seriously precise optics, stuff that's hard to carry/maintain when on the move.

by the time we get AI at a level of policing....

I should hope lazers are at the point where we can mine other plants and bring back our plunder on return bound lazers

Originally posted by El Mamerro

I have no clue what the hell it is. This is what it says on the androidworld.com website:

"The Embassy Visual Effects Inc of Vancouver, BC, Canada, has produced an android policeman video which is just OUTSTANDING. The video shows an android cop patrolling in a poor part of town near Johannesburg, South Africa. It shows the android running, driving a patrol car, and shooting guns. Fantastic! (Only problem is the video is 16M)."

Too bad the androidworld website has a supremely gayed out color palette. There's some neat stuf in there.

Check out the "I, Robot" promo site... nicely done.

as a sidenote: I, Robot was shot in vancouver last august. check the "hovercars" they were using:

http://members.shaw.ca/cjmmoc/futurecar.jpg'>

I've got a photo somewhere of the fake basketball court they set up for the movie, with a big billboard in the background showing the robot with its arms stretched out to either side, with one holding a basketball (like the old jordan poster) but I cant find it for the life of me.

i gotta go w/ kilo on this one.... lasers are def. the way to go. non lethal and able to paralize people and render motor vehicles useless because of the electromagnetic properties.

furthermore, that robot qould require a tremendous amount of power... so much, in fact, that it obviously has a fussion generator equipped inside it (so as to protect it from any potential blows to it and causing a nuclear explosion.

Originally posted by Dirty_habiT

haha megaman.....

The satellite firing a laser from space is not hindered by the curvature of the earth. Although, I wonder if the light would be powerful enough to be unhindered by the atmosphere (ie. the part that makes stars "twinkle").

Well I know we have a laser (or laser-like)

thing that is attached to a 747 that can take

out incoming missiles...so umm..yea.

• 2 years later...

Bump.

The guy behind the short clip on the first post, Neill Blomkamp, has been hired to direct the motion picture adaptation of Halo. All this time I've been pulling for an experienced epic maestro like Ridley Scott, so when I heard this random dude's name being named director, I fucking flipped. They're giving Halo to some guy making his feature-length debut, how fucking stupid is that?

A little background check revealed he's the guy behing this clip, as well as other similar short films, including Alive in Joburg and

This completely reverses my original reaction, this dude is an absolutely fucking awesome choice to make Halo. I'm seriously pumped as shit. The mood, style, FX integration, the music, EVERYTHING about this guy's work is fucking perfect for it.

Peter Jackson, Alex Garland (though another screenwriter is revising Garland's script), and now this guy, all involved in major creative functions. This movie is gonna be fucking AMAZING.