Knitbats: Tease your hair, volume and shit...

duh-rye-won

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by perhap@Dec 8 2004, 02:33 AM

sweet shit iquit. fuck i hate drafting... when you gonna be on aim?

probably won't be on any time soon. too busy at work for chatting. 12oz is one thing, but instant messaging takes shit to a whole other level of not accomplishing shit at work.

but we can discuss here if u have questions about the toy industry or school or whatever.

alright here goes: what school? major did you finish with? whats some other cool toys you been involved with? why hong kong? whats coolest project youve done ever? whats the shittiest part of being in that job as designer? do you do the models? the isometric and whatever drawings? thats all i can think of right now.

Originally posted by the_gooch+Dec 8 2004, 01:14 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (the_gooch - Dec 8 2004, 01:14 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by cracksmoka@Dec 7 2004, 08:39 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-DETO@Dec 7 2004, 08:07 PM

ATTENTION:

^KNIGHTBATS^

I have been thinking about starting a new KNIGHTBAT pass around book for my self. I need a new black book for myself and figures I should get one to pass around to the knightbats and a few other e-friends from 12oz. I know we have some talented writers in our e-crew and would love to have some of your work, if you are interested, just let me know, if enough people wanna get down, we can do this soon. If not, oh well. I guess, if you wanna get down on this project, copy this post and place your name under it, petition style…

i am down, but only if you get up in my passaround... and give me full credit for having the idea first and make me " most incredibly ingenious and smarmly handsome knightbat of em all" no wait, just get up in my book, this is so dope... idid a knightbats str8letter on the inside cover of the general passaround book that i will be sending to whover requests it ( im not expecting too much from THAT book) but maybe ill be pleasently suprised... anyway im in dets.......

count me in!!

[/b]

i'm down...but like nekro said...it won't exactly be graff..more like stencil art..some shit like that...

Originally posted by fatalist+Dec 7 2004, 10:44 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fatalist - Dec 7 2004, 10:44 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by the_gooch@Dec 8 2004, 01:14 AM

Originally posted by cracksmoka@Dec 7 2004, 08:39 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-DETO@Dec 7 2004, 08:07 PM

ATTENTION:

^KNIGHTBATS^

I have been thinking about starting a new KNIGHTBAT pass around book for my self. I need a new black book for myself and figures I should get one to pass around to the knightbats and a few other e-friends from 12oz. I know we have some talented writers in our e-crew and would love to have some of your work, if you are interested, just let me know, if enough people wanna get down, we can do this soon. If not, oh well. I guess, if you wanna get down on this project, copy this post and place your name under it, petition style…

i am down, but only if you get up in my passaround... and give me full credit for having the idea first and make me " most incredibly ingenious and smarmly handsome knightbat of em all" no wait, just get up in my book, this is so dope... idid a knightbats str8letter on the inside cover of the general passaround book that i will be sending to whover requests it ( im not expecting too much from THAT book) but maybe ill be pleasently suprised... anyway im in dets.......

count me in!!

i'm down...but like nekro said...it won't exactly be graff..more like stencil art..some shit like that...

[/b]

im in on this!

Originally posted by perhap@Dec 8 2004, 02:53 AM

alright here goes: what school? major did you finish with? whats some other cool toys you been involved with? why hong kong? whats coolest project youve done ever? whats the shittiest part of being in that job as designer? do you do the models? the isometric and whatever drawings? thats all i can think of right now.

what school- FIT

what major- illustration and then toy design

other cool toys i've been involved with-

hmmmm.... not much. fisrt 2 years out of school i worked as a designer for a seasonal company. 75% was halloween costumes, masks and accessories. then some xmas and easter stuff. but mostly i was designing halloween stuff. i worked on some fun stuff. we also did our own in house photo shoots and modeling for packages, so their is a whole shitload of halloween costumes and stupid shit with my mug on the package. definitely funny shit when you go into toys r us and see a product showing your photo with a fake knife stuck in your head.

i've been with this company in hong kong now for 2 years. but my fist year and a half i was the art director for the candy division of the company. designing gumball machines, and novelty candy. not much cool projects. we did get some cool licenses tho. I designed Transformers, Tonka, Spider-Man and Astroboy gumball machines. dealing with licensors and developing projects is basically a huge pain in the ass. not much room for creativity, but some of the products are pretty cool. the Tonka stuff is cool. a dumptruck and a cement mixer that dispense gumballs. i think we sold some to Toys R Us USA, they might be out there, i'm not sure.

now i am the senior product designer/art director for the boys toys division doing action figures and cars and stuff. so now, the projects have gotten cooler. things that are easier to get inspired about. but in reality, unfortunately, i really don't like toys. i don't collect them. i don't get excited about them. i really lack the passion that a lot of toy designers have for the industry, so really it doesnt matter much to me. a lot of designers would fucking hate getting stuck designing gumball machines because every night they go to sleep dreaming about gundam or spawn or some shit. really, i don't give a fuck. i'll design whatever you need me to design.

why hong kong- got offered a job out here. no real reason. the opportunity came out of nowhere and i did it. good work experience. cool life experience. i was also a little depressed in new york at that time. not depressed... just very, whatever. work was uninspiring. shit was just boring. and i was living in bushwick, next to williamsburg. so obviously, my social life was revolving around that place which i really grew to fucking hate with a passion. the fucking rat race of being cool and hip and trendy. so i was kinda bitter about shit when the opportunity came around and i just said fuck it and bounced.

coolest project- ummm i guess some of the stuff i'm working on now. first week of january is when we try to sell the line for 2005 so in a month i'll take flics of all of our finished displays and shit.

shittiest part of being a designer- shittiest part of being a designer is probably when you want to be creative but you have a retarded art director holding you back so you're just doing bullshit design grunt work that is kind of mindless. and make no mistake. being a designer is fucking STRESSFUL. unreasonable deadlines like a motherfucker. designers get stuck working till 4am to meet deadlines. not marketing people and sales guys. shittiest part of my job is that i'm NOT a designer. i'm an art director which means i have people working under me. i need to be worrying about what everyone in the department is doing. doing design grunt work can be a real pain in the ass. but when you're trying to work on something and you keep getting interrupted to correct everyone else's shit, you really miss being able to put on your headphones and being able to rock out for 4 hours undisturbed even if the work isn't creative.

do you do models- yeah i've tagged a few in hong kong.

isometric and whatever drawings- yeah, "control art" or "turnarounds". sometimes i do it, but usually that's the kind of shit my designers are doing for me. sometimes i'm in the mood to do it or they can't get it right so i do it.

...wow. something about typing all that felt really good.

-gooserocker, gettin shit off his chest.

now make a joke about having shit on my chest.

i'm getting better at cantonese. right now sometimes i can pick up on dribs and drabs of conversation. i can tell taxi drivers where to go. ask people basic shit. the problem is, my pronunciation is pretty damn good. so when i ask a question in cantonese they ramble on like i know what they're talking about.

it's a fucking DIFFICULT language to learn. they have a whole different way of pronouncing words, using the tone of your voice to change the meaning of the word. it is NOT like learning spanish or german os some shit. much harder than learning a language derived from latin.

hell yea gooose. awesome info. inspirational stuff...thats what im studying to be, somewhat, industrial designer. I love cars, i think i wanna design them. what im not sure of is if i would really like to work for a big name auto manufacturer. My dream job would be like chip foose. drawing cars then making them...one offs. not large scale where my only influence is the angle of the headlight. you gotta start somewhere tho. So ive heard its a hard business, and based largely on who you know, or who knows you. Once i get some stuff here at school that im really passsionate about, fuck this painting and english shit, i will hopefully be able to put together a portfolio on coroflot.com or core77.com. I love my maufacturing technologies class. Im the only one awake learning about t6 and 5051 aluminum. I think its interesting. haha.

Thanks for typing, that was a lot to read, and thanks to ethreadzny the page is double long.

Ill definitely do some stuff in the kb book. Just keep it mind itll probably be a bunch of drawings of nude girls. Habit.

It better be some kinda jager filled bash when you come here in February, all the local KBs better come rep cause its my bday and Ill black out from drinking too much jager if I want to. Besides, Im turning 24..................... long pause....... and uhh.. thats abig year. AND my boy is turning 30 shortly after. Fucking 30. Man, I date old farts.

Anyway, Yes. Im in for the sketchbook. Word.

Originally posted by perhap@Dec 8 2004, 05:44 AM

hell yea gooose. awesome info. inspirational stuff...thats what im studying to be, somewhat, industrial designer. I love cars, i think i wanna design them. what im not sure of is if i would really like to work for a big name auto manufacturer. My dream job would be like chip foose. drawing cars then making them...one offs. not large scale where my only influence is the angle of the headlight. you gotta start somewhere tho. So ive heard its a hard business, and based largely on who you know, or who knows you. Once i get some stuff here at school that im really passsionate about, fuck this painting and english shit, i will hopefully be able to put together a portfolio on coroflot.com or core77.com. I love my maufacturing technologies class. Im the only one awake learning about t6 and 5051 aluminum. I think its interesting. haha.

Thanks for typing, that was a lot to read, and thanks to ethreadzny the page is double long.

well you've already got a huge advantage over me.

i don't find that shit interesting at all. i'm WAY more interested in english, and artsy fartsy paintings then knowing how many SKU's of item #1476 will fit inside a container or whether a ninja sword should be molded out of polypopylene or ABS. but that's fucking cool that you're into manufacturing. if you can combine artisitc talent and creativity with some real knowledge and understanding of that shit, i'm sure you'll be successful.

designing cars is fucking HARDCORE competitive tho. like you said, gotta start somewhere. if i were you i would keep my mind open to anything remotely related to the kind of design you want to do.

i'm not great for giving advice, because really, i'm not into designing. i fluctuate from being unenthusiastic about it, to fucking hating it. i just like to draw. bug out and be creative. i don't want to draw shit that 8 year olds want to play with. in a way, it's cool that i have a job that at least allows for some amount of creatice and artisitc expression. but in another way, it's just fucking frustrating as hell. and i NEVER draw any more in my free time. i never paint. i used to love painting legal walls and safe spots. bugging out. having fun with spray paint. now i hate all of it. doing anything artistic feels like work. the thought of picking up a pen or pencil and not getting paid for it seems ridiculous. like a garbage man picking up trash in his free time because he's just in the mood to do it.

it sucks. this job has sucked all of my creative drive out of me.

but actually, i'm just venting, and this has nothing to do with you. i know a lot of designers who are passionate about design and i really envy them.

give it a shot.

i'd rather be fishing.

yea, car design is competitive!

take a break man, get motivated.

so...ive never been overseas. do they sell cool bonsai trees there?

Is there "authentic" american food in HK? is the authentic american food in hk better than authentic asian food in the us?

I forgot to mention. One of my friends knows how obsessed I am lately over DefJux and Aesop Rock, and for xmas made me a painted wood box with hand painted fucking AESOP ROCK (written in the font he has "must not sleep" tatt'd on his arm), Labor Days and the wake, work, sleep logo on it. Its fucking gorgeous. I almost cried. Its good having sweet creative friends. Ill take pix and post em tomorrow.

-gats

Originally posted by gatita@Dec 8 2004, 02:54 AM

I forgot to mention. One of my friends knows how obsessed I am lately over DefJux and Aesop Rock, and for xmas made me a painted wood box with hand painted fucking AESOP ROCK (written in the font he has "must not sleep" tatt'd on his arm), Labor Days and the wake, work, sleep logo on it. Its fucking gorgeous. I almost cried. Its good having sweet creative friends. Ill take pix and post em tomorrow.

-gats

damn, i wanna see a picture of this..sounds dopppe