bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Rubbish... hope the racing went/goes well!

Training with a powertap is so fucking weird... so weird. Diggin' it though. I'm hoping between training with power and the kettlebells workouts that I'll be zooming come March/April...

Sounds like you'll be strong come spring time. I'm fittin' to have a good season myself...

CX race was cool. My first mud race - rode to the course, got thoroughly soaked, took one warm up lap and then it was on. I started in the back of the group and ended somewhere in the middle. Next time I'm gonna try to get that front position at the starting line - I was stuck behind some slower people for awhile and wasn't really feeling like I was doing 'race pace' through the first lap. Dropped a chain once, seized up the front derailleur at the end of the first lap (so I was stuck in my 36t) and had a few minor spills (mostly as a result of tires sinking deep into the mud) - all in all I'd say a good race... coming through the last section, I was chasing a Wolf Creek rider and he crashed in the mud. I was all ready to take advantage of that... until I went down in the exact same area haha. So I gunned it up to get a sneak sprint from behind him, but he noticed too quickly and had too much of a gap anyway to give me much chance of passing on the line. After the race I talked to him and he said "well, I heard you were a track racer so I knew there was gonna be some kind of sprint coming up :D :D :D :D " haha.

I'm definitely hoping to get another cross race in next week. My bike/core needs a shit ton of work in the mean time...

any advice from you racers as far as intervals or general workouts are concerned ?

looking to kick it up and hopefully get 'involved' this coming year.

Well, this time of the year basically means either cyclocross racing or base training for next season. So if you were just starting out, the aim would be to do long slow miles, progressively adding on more and more each week. Also, tempo rides (where you go at a pace that you can sustain for 2 or 3 hours max). Sometime in the late-winter/early-spring you could add longer intervals like 20 minute TT's.

What kind of racing are you trying to do?

there are some local crits and TT's which happend to share routes with a few of my preferred rides - so maybe something like that.

i do lots of hills and fit in approx 200miles/week.

i'll work on giving those 20minute efforts a shot. are you doing those by feel or by monitored HR?

Both - but I suck at gauging my 20 minute efforts so HR for me.

For crits, you also want to focus on sprints, VO2Max intervals (3-5 minute efforts repeated with rest between) and repeated acceleration efforts.

word -thanks.

i need to pickup a reliable mount for my 305 so i can gauge myself properly during rides.

i've been messing with some days of 3min all-out efforts with 3min rests between, but now i'm running out of room or hitting a light before i can complete the 3mins...frustrating.

need a better road to train on.

Sounds like you had a good race, Rubbish! Racing the mud is difficult so if you were able to move up then, yeah, definitely try to get a better start position and you'll be golden.

Count...

Really, like Rubbish said, this is the time of year to do base miles and accustom your body to steady endurance rides of at least two hours but mostly longer. However, If all you're planning on racing next year is crits and TT's then I would look into a more concentrated training regime.

Definitely continue the time on the bike that you have been. 200 miles a week is just fine. You could slowly kick it up to 300 or 350 by the end of February but that really depends on your time allowed to train. I would spend most of those hours just doing endurance rides. Meaning, if you're riding for two hours then ride at a tempo that you can sustain for that two hours. It shouldn't be a hard effort but it shouldn't be easy. Give yourself at least a 15 minute warm up by pedaling easy and at least a 15 minute cool down doing the same thing. Unless you only have an hour then make it 5 minutes warm up and cool down.

For the first month or so I would start out with once a week doing some quick sprint intervals. Start with these (if you're interested) - do two sets of five - get in an easy gear like 39/17 and roll along at about 12-15mph - do five second sprints with a minute rest between each sprint. So two sets of five of 5 second sprints. In between each set rest for about five minutes. That quick high cadence sprinting will help you out in crits. Do that once a week for the first two weeks. The third & fourth week, go up to three sets. Fifth & sixth weeks make it four sets. That should keep you busy for a bit with crit training. Once you're caught up I'll give you some more to work on.

As for the TT training... Rubbish hit it perfectly. A twenty minute TT is a great way to build your ability to sustain a high-end effort that TT's require. You can find a lot of info online about how to train for a TT but really just doing a all-out effort for twenty minutes about every three weeks will be perfect. You'll notice that by the time you do the third or fourth TT 'test' you'll be able to push a bigger gear and/or spin a higher cadence at a faster rate of speed. Remember that TT's are the true test and that if you go full-on from the gun you'll be dead in ten-fifteen minutes. Be sure to gauge your effort and start strong but not too strong. Build on the effort throughout the TT and end really strong. Something to think about, anyway.

I've got plenty of hill intervals and crit intervals... so I'll keep 'em coming.

Count, another thing that's really important is don't forget to do core workouts. Sit ups, crunches, planks, back extensions, side planks... all that stuff is very important for power transmission, bike handling and overall finesse. It also helps you fit into a more aerodynamic position on the bike (as does increasing flexibility).

Also not to be ignored, if you want to focus on sprinting, is arms... seated rows are especially great for that, and if you're going to do a pull exercise like that, you have to balance it out with a 'push' (e.g., bench press). Squats and lunges should go without saying for the legs, of course.

But if you only have time for one of these things... do core.

\/

stfuironrape.jpg.3ca309c09c04e2f63b021df756dcaeff.jpg

Yeah, I'm not gonna lie, it took me a while but I eventually gave up drinking lots every night. I'm down to about two or three pints of cider a week, if that. And of course I have bouts of occasional shit-faced drunkeness... which is just awesome.

One last thing to think about... RECOVERY. Yeah, you rode hard for two hours and now you're going to come home have a bowl of cereal, a beer and lay on the couch and watch Family Guy. Definitely not. Winter is the best time to start better habits. No one is saying you can't live the life and still race bikes... I mean, up here we have a team called Team Beer, but they're not entirely successful. You're best bet is to finish each ride with a good recovery routine. You can learn all about that right here : http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/nutrition-how-to-recover-from-hard-rides-23620

Obviously, you don't need to run out and buy a bunch of expensive recovery drinks but I would definitely add recovery to your after ride routine. It's going to set you up for your next ride to ride that much stronger. No, seriously... I wouldn't lie.

dope

it actually sounds like i've got a good base going on considering the amount of time i spend in the saddle and my gym habits.

—now to deal with my alcoholic tendencies.

Don't worry too much about it, I know cat 2's who drink like fish in the off-season.

Base miles are just fine after a night of drinking. Racing or competitive rides, not so much... although I definitely drank the night before last Saturday's race. Just gotta watch that beer belly... the one thing I do dislike though, is that I can feel the effects of second hand smoke the next time I get back on the bike.

Hell, I love getting trashed and have a soft spot for stouts and porters myself. Could go for one right now actually...

"As soon as the liquor reaches my lips, I head straight for the bike"

-a friend of mine.

Good choice. Shoes are worth doing right the first time around. I've had my Dominators for 2 years now and could probably handle another year... Sidi's rule.

I went riding some XC trails on my CX bike again after a busy week. Really fucking fun... I just love hoods and drops. Acer, hate all you want but I'm ditching the risers on my 29er. Can't stand climbing with them. I'm either gonna go with dirt drops like these:

3700156167_b0a79fbe93_o.jpg

Or some FSA Compact Omegas on the cheap/freebie status. Why? Because I'm MTBing to improve road handling skills, and drops are going to be the best way of doing that.