bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

No shit. Last Saturday was a bad day for me, easily. After a long 2.5 hour ride in the pouring down rain... the entire 2.5 hours... I was about a mile from home and got a flat, on the fixie. One tube in my bag and one CO2. Get everything going and for some reason the CO2 was empty. Even though it was sealed. Bummed. Had to walk home in the nasty weather for a mile after a long shitty day in the saddle.

I kept yelling at myself that it's only October, what the hell am I doing out in this mess? Thankfully the weather has been nice the last few days. Nice long ride today and another one tomorrow with the team.

Rubbish, haven't rode rollers since I used race BMX bikes back in the late 70's - early 80's. I almost picked up a pair last year but decided to upgrade my cheap trainer for a nice fluid one. Which is probably good because there are times when I zone out and you just can't do that on rollers.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
No shit. Last Saturday was a bad day for me, easily. After a long 2.5 hour ride in the pouring down rain... the entire 2.5 hours... I was about a mile from home and got a flat, on the fixie. One tube in my bag and one CO2. Get everything going and for some reason the CO2 was empty. Even though it was sealed. Bummed. Had to walk home in the nasty weather for a mile after a long shitty day in the saddle.

I kept yelling at myself that it's only October, what the hell am I doing out in this mess? Thankfully the weather has been nice the last few days. Nice long ride today and another one tomorrow with the team.

Rubbish, haven't rode rollers since I used race BMX bikes back in the late 70's - early 80's. I almost picked up a pair last year but decided to upgrade my cheap trainer for a nice fluid one. Which is probably good because there are times when I zone out and you just can't do that on rollers.

SAME FUCKING THING HAPPENED TO ME!!!!

thanks god some crazy asian dude stopped and had a pump in his car. i was 6 miles out w/ no cel phone. i bought a pump and deal w/ carrying it now..

and fuck riding in the rain. done it enough, i get a pass.

joke, i am curious about this fixed you built. what's your set up?

IRO Jamie Roy Frame and Fork

Chris King headset

Ritchey stem and bars

Cheap calipers and brake levers

IRO cranks & FSA ring

Speedplay Zero pedals

Some weird ass chain

Normal rear cog

??? seat post

Fizik Arione saddle

Velocity Deep V rims with Surly high flange hubs

Conti Gatorskins

SKS full fenders with courtesy flaps

Nightrider MiNewt head lamp and some super bright tail light

this is my new bike. went and put it on hold yesterday. waiting for it to show up at my bike shop. planning on probably swapping out the wheel set, pedals, cages, and bars. ive been waiting for this bike to come out for a while. i almost bought the 07 model but i like the blue better.

http://www.bikepro.com.au/ProductDetails/1500/SCHWINN-2008-MADISON

1186451588390-3478.jpg

This whole project is seriously interesting: http://www.bamboobike.org/

Also, anyone know any acceleration or top speed exercises?

Hey Soup. Intervals for acceleration.

Top speed meaning sustaining it? Motor pacing. Sit in behind a car or

motorcycle. Otherwise...

My coach the Bike Doc

http://"http://www.bikedoctraining.com/home.htm"

set me up with a good plan for last cross season.

I don't know if you have done any reading on training but his book is

the shit. I have all the other plans for periodization and such but those

methods are not so good.

What are you training for cross now or road next year?

If its road forget that shit for another month or so. Do some reading.

Maximum Performance for Cyclist. This IS THE BOOK. Lays out plans

and has good recipies and explains how to tailor your diet for training

increasing carb uptake running a more efficiencent system. What foods

are good and why and when to eat them and how much.

Stretches and workouts for strength training.

Nicest guy in the world.

Mad Credentials. Was Navagators team doctor this year and works the

Tour of Georgia as the race doc every year.

You want to get more specific send me a PM and I will impart what I

know but everyone is different and has different training needs and

goals. Don't want to bore everyone with this shit.

The book is good though small and concise not like the other guides

which get confusing and can be intimidating.

I recommend this to anyone getting into racing or training for a

particular endurance event. In general it gives good insight to how the

bodies energy system works. Fascinating stuff.

so i have a set of handlebars that are 31.8mm in diameter (the oversized ones)

i want to throw those on my bike, which stock handlebars are 26.0mm in diameter

so i know i need to get a new stem for the new pair of handlebars, but if i get a stem

that fits the 31.8 dia, will that fit the forks of my bikes? or are there different sizes

and shit for that too?im so nubbish at this whole thing, so if anybody could help me i'd appreciate it.

nevermind, i got it

the friel book is ok to, but kinda dated and slow. TOO hardcore maybe?

Yeah Friel is oldschool and overload. Quantity not quality.

Dr. Ross is quality vs quantity. Intensity training short efficient workouts.

I worked 40 hours a week did 26 cross races and finished outside of the top twenty

4 or 5 times. I trained way less than I thought I should have been but it worked

quite nicely.

Check it out sounds like it may be good for you.

Im definitely checking out that book. Thanks NerdUnit for all that. I'm not really training for anything specifically besides wanting to keep up with some of the pros around town... one day... years from now.

Actually i think you should just flood this thread with what you know. I doubt theres anyone who wouldnt benefit from it, especially me.

I'll admit that I had been coached for close to three years through Wenzel. I recently left them because I just couldn't afford to do it any longer and the training programs I got every year were exactly the same. Nothing really changed. My personal coach was a great person with tons of knowledge but I rarely ever got to talk to him over the last year and a half due to him being in the armed forces and constantly being sent off to here or there from month to month. Kinda sucked.

From my personal point of view having a plan is better than not having a plan. Just going out day after day and drilling it from start to finish is not going to make you faster. It's going to make you tired. I haven't checked out either of those books mentioned but you can bet I will. I need something new to work with and hopefully the change in training will give me the results I need next year. The best I had was 15th and after five months of base miles and interval training... 15th was not what I was looking for, along with a slew of DNF races. Change of pace is what is needed.

Thanks for the info...

^ ^ ^ yeah, rolling around without lights at night is scary (and irresponsible). especially when intoxicated and thinking about what a dumbass you were the next morning.

i finally got my clipless setup up and running. it feels like i can spin a little higher RPM on the rollers. other than that it's good and different and i guess i need to get used to it, clipless definitely feels like it encourages me to spin more than mash but also i'm not used to having such a small platform surface to be pressing down on. so far so good for skids / brakeless as well, pulled some nice hockey stops with no clipouts.

ah denver....

i love that city.

though i hate the videos of their faggy skid contests... when i was a little boy riding nothing but bmx i had a sticker it clarified SKIDDING IS NOT A TRICK. its one thing to do a nose manual for a couple blocks, thats cool, but skidding is gay. end.

i'm being such a lazy bastard this season. i keep saying "this week" and it ends up being the next and the next....

This whole project is seriously interesting: http://www.bamboobike.org/

Also, anyone know any acceleration or top speed exercises?

Ride the velodrome. Do more sprints. Uphill sprints as well.

Basically you are working the type of system where you want to exert the maximum amoutn of power for 6-8 seconds. However, this time of the year is not really the greatest time to do so, assuming you are not competing.

Remember to keep this in mind when doing this type of training, and this is very important:

The type of system you are working is unique in the sense that when doing intervals, you want to really make sure that you have enough recovery time. Although it may seem that it would make you stronger to have less recovery time between efforts, this is wrong. Acceleration is trained through all out efforts for short periods of time. The more power you can put out, the better. If you were to not adequeatly recover, you would be training your anearobic endurance system. If you find yourself not able to produce peak power half way through the training session, go ahead and quit doing them. You are doing nothing but exhausting your body. That is why it is very important to have a solid base and a proper block of muscual endurance training under your belt before concentrating on this type of training.

Woo. Hope that makes sense.

Ride the velodrome. Do more sprints. Uphill sprints as well.

Basically you are working the type of system where you want to exert the maximum amoutn of power for 6-8 seconds. However, this time of the year is not really the greatest time to do so, assuming you are not competing.

Remember to keep this in mind when doing this type of training, and this is very important:

The type of system you are working is unique in the sense that when doing intervals, you want to really make sure that you have enough recovery time. Although it may seem that it would make you stronger to have less recovery time between efforts, this is wrong. Acceleration is trained through all out efforts for short periods of time. The more power you can put out, the better. If you were to not adequeatly recover, you would be training your anearobic endurance system. If you find yourself not able to produce peak power half way through the training session, go ahead and quit doing them. You are doing nothing but exhausting your body. That is why it is very important to have a solid base and a proper block of muscual endurance training under your belt before concentrating on this type of training.

Woo. Hope that makes sense.

real talk. i love how it feels after being fat and bad for 2 weeks and not riding then getting out there and crushing hard as fuck. sweet little victory when your figuring you'll suffer.

Just got my new Frogg Togg suit and I'm pretty stoked. The jacket is the shiznis, it feels as warm and windproof as most heavy winter coats. The pants, however, are beyond Hammer-status. I ordered a medium, fearing the small would be too small. I have to roll the waistband to grandma status to not look like a moon scientist. But otherwise, very satisfied with the $42 spent. I am actually looking forward to the cold and wetness, just so I can rock the Hammer suit and be dry.

1896513238_6d38709068.jpg?v=1194400229

HAMMER TIME!

• Like 1