bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I like this thread too much to let it sit three pages back. Bump.

Rain and work have me down. Im reduced to doing what I can with fifteen minute breaks; mostly making my wheels out of true by trying to imitate the stuff theyre doing on that mashsf website. Btw, alex 450 rims are shit. The area where the brakes contact the rim breaks off under pressure, I think its recycled aluminum or somethin.

Anybody know of any other companies offering customizable build kits? Im pretty sold on the concept. Come spring I may be looking at this:

image_fenix1_lrg.jpg

image_fenix2_lrg.jpg

image_fenix3_lrg.jpg

My trek's not looking too good. Headset's needed retightening and wheels needed truing twice in two weeks. I need to figure out how to take off the back cassette because that plastic protector thing the shop put on between the casette and the wheels is cracked, and if I engage the easiest two gears the chain clanks against the spokes.

Soup... you should have removed that plastic cover a long, long time ago. Take a pair of wire snips and cut it off the spokes. Those things are pointless and do nothing but cause headaches.

Recently got my new race steed. Scott CR1 SL. Looks much better in person than it does on the website and weighs next to nothing. Haven't been able to give it a test ride yet because it's been raining non-stop for days. Supposed to clear up for a few days this weekend...

That vid is amazing.

Im fuckin pissed. This morning I revamped the Trek 1000, tuned to the headset, trued the wheels (still has a millimeter out of true but I cant get it truer than that unless someone knows how), and tuned the derailer only to realize I bent the fucking drop out. I tried straightening it and the thing cracked. Its replacable on the frame so I ordered another one for $11 at the LBS which seems like an expensive price for something that gave out after only four months. Im just pissed that its that fuckin flimsey and had I never caught that Id be in bad shape somewhere in the boonies most likely without a signal.

In all: the 1000 is an okay bike, great in terms of light touring but dont push it or your time and money will go into keeping it running.

it really seems to me that flatland has plateaud (sp?). i mean, i used to ride it pretty seriously, and the game just has not progressed. guys like chase and day smith are doing the same tricks they were doing 8 years ago. in comparison with dirt or street which continually push the envelope. i don't know... i still have respect for the sport, just seems like something new or big should happen, and it hasn't...

it really seems to me that flatland has plateaud (sp?). i mean, i used to ride it pretty seriously, and the game just has not progressed. guys like chase and day smith are doing the same tricks they were doing 8 years ago. in comparison with dirt or street which continually push the envelope. i don't know... i still have respect for the sport, just seems like something new or big should happen, and it hasn't...

I'm really going to show my age here but...

I used to ride BMX as well... in the early 80's... when Mike Buff and RL Osbourne were the hype and a little snot nosed kid named Mike Dominguez was coming up. Even had me a little co-sponsorhip through Rockville BMX and Hutch Bicycles. I rode dirt and ramp. Flatland was relatively new at that point in the game but watching that video... I can't say much has really changed other than the tricks are repeated over and over and over again. For example, instead of doing a 360 he does a 720. That's progression but not really. It seems like flatland isn't as popular as street riding or ramps. As if there's only so much that can be done and then what? Kinda like what happened with Rodney Mullen and skateboarding flatland. Well, I guess most of his tricks segued into street skating pretty nicely. Maybe that's what needs to happen with BMX flatland. Street riding and flatland need to merge to create new tricks and generate interest in the sport within in the sport.

Maybe I'm just talking out my ass...

I'm really going to show my age here but...

I used to ride BMX as well... in the early 80's... when Mike Buff and RL Osbourne were the hype and a little snot nosed kid named Mike Dominguez was coming up. Even had me a little co-sponsorhip through Rockville BMX and Hutch Bicycles. I rode dirt and ramp. Flatland was relatively new at that point in the game but watching that video... I can't say much has really changed other than the tricks are repeated over and over and over again. For example, instead of doing a 360 he does a 720. That's progression but not really. It seems like flatland isn't as popular as street riding or ramps. As if there's only so much that can be done and then what? Kinda like what happened with Rodney Mullen and skateboarding flatland. Well, I guess most of his tricks segued into street skating pretty nicely. Maybe that's what needs to happen with BMX flatland. Street riding and flatland need to merge to create new tricks and generate interest in the sport within in the sport.

Maybe I'm just talking out my ass...

Yeah man, Mike Dominguez invented the 540. He was amazing. I got the luck to see him live a few times when he was with Diamond Back. Him and Woody Itson. It was dope. The second time I saw them, Dominguez just invented the 900's and did one for us. It was so amazing. I also got to see Hoffman waaaaaaay early in his career when he was with SKYWAY with Scotty Freeman, and Eddie Roman.

yeah, perhaps a reinvention or revolution. the hard thing about fusion with street is the short frames are shit for street riding. its so awkward. maybe just under a pro size frame, but then headtube angle, plus the whole 18t up front would make the speed hard. maybe bump up to a 28 or even 32 would balance those needs.

its okay to date yourself when you've got stories of that nature.

"Street riding and flatland need to merge to create new tricks and generate interest in the sport within in the sport. "

joel moody (first half of the section)

http://fitbikeco.com/media/betleyvid.html

josh betley

if you havent noticed a change in flatlant youre not watching the right people or something. 99% of riders are brakeless riding flatland... that was unheard of when chase goin (spellcheck) and day smith were at the top of the game. shit is ALL rolling balance no brake squeek to get your balance point set on the front or back wheel... no hoppers. i will admit that no HUGE changes have been made... i mean other than BIKE flips... bar flips and did i mention brakeless riding? as far as im concerned the americans arent ontop anymore... the japanese are huge into flatland they probably have more girls riding over there than we have guys.. the germans and europeans in general... that is all..

good vids, but i don't think thats pushing the flatland envelope--thats street kids doing pretty impressive nose manuals.

the brakeless thing is awesome. i played with that at the end of my flatland "career" so i will give crazy props to it, to all riders.

and yeah, i've seen foreign videos that are impressive, but to me its still really the same game as before.

That shit is still amazing to watch, regardless if there hasn't been new tricks coming out. If we're playing with words like progression and plateauing, I'll add the word maturing and say it's coming into perfection.

Whoiseuth, how's that crank? Hows it compare to the stock?

And has anyone seen this? The bianchi Fremont? Whys Bianchi gotta name all their bikes after random east bay towns I never want to visit? Enh, go Bay Area. But checkit, road bike, road geometry, brakes, track dropouts, $700.

http://www.bianchiusa.com/07_b4p_fremont.html

Anyone have pros and cons on integrated headsets?

1) it is much stiffer than the stock cranks, 5 cm shorter in the crankarms, and one tooth larger in the ring. though that is an 05 pista which means sugino RD, not the truvativ crank like on the 06. though my brother, who does have an 06, just upgraded his drivetrain also, to a sugino 75. he had the same experience, much stiffer crankset than stock. this of course means easier stops and skids and more efficient transfer of energy to the rear wheel. blah blah blah its six in the morning.

2) i like the fremont, might be nice as a free wheel alternative to fixed rather than a training bike.