bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

Originally posted by yoink

damnit where are all you cycle nerds at???

help a brotha out.

pahlease.:cool:

sounds like your looking cross bike from your previous questions. Surly makes several good cross bikes, they run about $600. Basically its a road bike frame with mtn bike forks and an off road wheel set, the tires usually arent as big and knobby as most mtn bikes and they have straight handlebars. I believe Cannondale has a new model as well that looked pretty nice last time I was at the store. If you looking for a fixie, brand new from the shop, Fuji's seem to be pretty popular , their moderately priced ($500) and come with some great components on the stock models. As far as road bikes, my roommate just picked up a Specialized Allez that I fell in love with. Carbon fiber front forks come stock, Mavic rims, all black sleek finish and it looks badass. Retails about $600 which is a really good price if you ask me. Just go to bike shops man! You'll find something you like, better yet buy a used bike from someone you know and trust their judgement.

cinnamontoastcrunch804 give a holler next time you see me I think I seen you around on the block!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Tre$Loco$

.... Just go to bike shops man!

Thanks for the info man, And yeah ive been to a few shops, But I want to go in with a steady idea of what im doing before gettin into it...and my previous knowledge is huffy bikes. ;)

so I inquire here, and gather all my info!!! so thanks again!

Originally posted by Joker

BMX NERDS... in my possession I have a PK Ripper with Landing Gear forks, straight from the 80's. Even when I was co-sponsored by Hutch back in the day... I wanted a PK Ripper. I finally have one now. But... it needs some help. I want to bring it back to it's glory day and hook up some goods for it. Is there a place I can look at online for old BMX stuff? Any ideas?

... that is awesome, I want it. my BMX is hurtin right now, bent the shit outta my Sun rim two weeks ago just fuckin around on this little three set and the brakes busted. As far as bike parts for that grey haired beauty you might wanna try Dan's Competition, they've been around forever and always had the hook up for parts plus they have a classifieds section, good luck.

ok so I got my bike today, It fit well into my budget....not too mention I plan on buying some accesories for it (helmut, possibly shoes, rack for storage on the back etc...) IT may not be super super awesome, but it was comfy, I will probably get an extra pair of tires down the road for city riding.

http://bobsbicycleshop.com/site/images/library/site/trek_4300disc_black_04_m.jpg'>

Its the TREK 4300.

anyhoo, What do you guys reccomend shoe wise? I was looking at a few but they are damn expensive..I would like to get a pair, Im not too sure about brands though..

yoink....

man...I'm kinda weird about shoes. I've pretty much figured out...you get what you pay for with shoes...so I buy nice shit.

I take it you are looking at shoes for clipless pedals? If so...

on the dirt side...I'll buy nothing but Sidi Dominators. I'm still wearing my first pair. They've been through 5 race seasons and are still going. I paid somewhere in the $120 - $150 range.

on the road I have a pair of Carnacs with carbon fiber soles....I can't remember what model they were, but they also were pricey.

winter...I have a pair of Gaerne polars...same price range I believe.

I think I know a few people that like some of the specialized shoes...but I'm not positive.

oh yeah...congrats on the bike

i dont have any advice, but i'm loving biking to work everyday.

my commute is part city, part charles river bike path. i have been having a great time trying to prove i can go faster than the cars and loving the feeling of biking home after a work day.

it almost feels like i'm out for fun not commuting to work. i love it. i look forward to the bike every morning.

i just need to get a pack for the rack on the back so i don't need my back pack..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee for nice weather and the wind in my hair!

thanks for the info again Steve.....I kinda figured that about the price issue, I think Ill take a look at what the shop has to offer and see what I can afford, but at least I have a semi good idea now....picking it up at three, on the trails or somewhere at three thirty...cant wait!

sounds like your having fun Ube, thats the way to do it, gettin excersize and freeing up your way of travel=sweetness.

no problem yoinkster...do you have pedals picked out...or did the bike come with them?

glad to see ube is doing the commuting thing.

racing traffic is too much fun.

oh yeah...one last thing...Joker...one of my boys has a PK Ripper as well. Homeboy won't shut up about how cool he was back in the day. :lol: good stuff man.

Bike came fully assembled, (as in one package....I figure for now Im happy with just gettin the bike, then once I figure out how I feel, and what I like I can customize it or switch shit around...heres the specs.

FRAME Alpha SL aluminum

SUSPENSION InSync 323

WHEELS Alloy F, Shimano RM40 R hub; Matrix 750 rims

DRIVETRAIN:

crankset SR XCC150 42/34/24

rear derailleur Shimano Alivio

I just rode it for about an hour and a half, mainly on roads, a small little "trail" (cant really call it a trail, Its was just dirt....) probably went a good 7-8 miles, it was nice, I will probably have to get a seperate more street friendly set of tires since these ones are monsters, but all in all Im Uber happy with it.

-the three shoes this shop had were all nikes...

the Poggio and YVR shoe both on sale for 99, and the Kato shoe for like 70, the last one being the more sneakerly like one. Im going to take a look at a few more shops but I might go with one of those as they are on sale.

I'm right there with you, Cinnamon! Every time I hop out of the shower and catch a glimpse... it's like I'm wearing a white time trial suit.

Since I haven't done one in a while, and I got a good result... here's a race report:

1 mile loop criterium race. Course was shaped kinda like a baseball field. Three corners and one long swooping bend. 45 minutes + 1 lap.

The pack lined up with about forty guys. I was riding solo so I had no one to work for, as well as no one to work with or for me. The race started off pretty quick, like any crit and eased into a pace after about four laps. I hoped that it would have weeded a lot of guys out, but that wasn't the case. The group was all together. There were several attacks but all of them lasted maybe a lap, if that. I kept my position at all times near the front. Staying within the top ten guys at all costs. There were a lot of guys trying to creep up to the front but just didn't have the energy or the "anger" that you need to ride in a crit. At about the forty minute mark, the pace rose quite a bit. We went from a steady 24mph to a blistering 29-30mph. As we went past the start / finish line and they rang the bell for the final lap... elbows started flying! I could hear all kinds of colorful words behind me. Going into the first turn of the lap, I swear I heard a mack truck crash behind me. Mass carnage. I guess only ten guys went down but it sounded like everyone behind me went down. Crashes in a race just sound so weird, especially if you can't see them happening. Just as the noise ended... the three guys in front of me took off. I chased hard to get the wheel of the thrid man and stuck to him going around the second turn. Along the long sweeping turn the rest of the field caught up with us. At that moment the guy in the front, pulling for the two guys behind him (All from the same team) swung off to let the next guy work. With less than a quarter of a mile to go to the line, I was in good position. When we hit the final straight the guy pulling swung of slightly and the guy in front of me took off and started sprinting early, so I thought. For some reason, instead of sticking to his wheel for a few more seconds I swung to the opposite side and took off for the line. It was way too early for me and I ended up fading with about twenty feet to go and two guys rolled right past me. I finished in fourth. Which I was damn happy with. Though I kept killing myself about not staying on that guys wheel for a few more seconds. I don't know for sure, but I think if I did I could have won. Oh well... learning experience.

Suppose to race the Road Race Championships this weekend but already made plans a few months back for the Memorial Day weekend. Oh well... it's got some nasty hills anyway...

bad ass report joker.

I've pretty much retired. I'm only gonna do about 6 mtn bike races this year. of course...I'll come out of retirement to race cross every year...but all the other stuff...meh...I just don't have the desire anymore. I don't know...maybe I'm just burnt out.

• 2 weeks later...

good stuff joker... send some the spinting ability my way

did a crit last weekend in baltimore 100 riders finished 19th... boring race.

doing norba national next weekend... first mountain bike (well i did on when i was 12). Maybe i'll pull something out and finish well.

im in the early stages of talking with cyclocrossworld.com for some sponsorship... They seem interested, but it seems as if all the other oppertunities that have presented themselves always fall apart at the last minute. HOpe this one doesn't.

i love the summer... riding all morning lifegaurding by night... the good life

Steve... I hear ya. Having this be my first year with a coach and seeing the amount of work I have to put in to be comptetive at the top of my field... I don't know. I like art just as much as biking but something is going to have to give eventually. And cycling isn't paying the bills right now. Cross is something I've been considering more and more. I just don't know that I can justify another bike. I'm already in the dog house for the updates I did over the winter. And with the latest talk of wanting a new fixed gear...

Cinnamon... 19th isn't bad for a climber in a crit. Tell you what, I'll trade you an ounce of sprint ability for an ounce of climbing ability.

Fast Freddy pulled it out today!! Finished fourth on the final lap in Philly but was the first American over the line. Back in the stars and stripes again. That's pretty cool. I wanted either Fred or Bobby Julich to win the jersey so I'm glad he won.

Been slowly training and racing a little bit. Did a race last weekend that was super hard. For some reason I let my team mates talk me into racing the State Championships. The I let them talk me into a category for age and not ability. Which meant, anyone within the ages of 30-39 could race that field. I get to the start line with all my team mates and realize I made a huge mistake. There's a crap load of cat2's and cat1's and few guys who are up from California... for a cat4 rider, I was a fish out of water. The course was an 11 mile loop and it had one flat section, which was a false flat. The rest of the course was rolling but each time you went up, you went up higher on the mountain. So basically, the course was constant climbing. I actually surprised myself by hanging on withing the top twenty guys for the first three laps. At which point I got a flat on the back wheel. Just as I did, the nuetral service vehicle / race official drove up to the three guys in the breakaway about 200 meters ahead of us. So I missed my wheel change. Out in the middle of nowhere with a flat, waiting for the next category of racers to come by. That was almost fifteen minutes. Got a wheel change, started to roll off and my derailluer tensin bolt snapped. Which left my swing arm jammed up against my cog set. Stuck in 53-15... about four miles out from the start / finish line... I slowly crawled up hills and made my way back to the car. I know there was no way I'd be able to hang with the group even if I didn't flat. Each lap I was slowly falling back in the field. So I knew I wouldn't last for seven laps. But being able to hang for as long as I did was a good morale booster.

Now, the weather here sucks and I want to be out riding but I don't want to be wet and cold!

joker i had bad luck this past weekend too

i flated in a crit with 6 laps to go my dad was in the break away and i was about 10 yards from closing the gap when it went flat... my dad finished 12th..pretty good for 53 in a cat 3 race..

im doing a norba national this weekend up in west virginia... first mountain bike race should be fun

48:16...your whip?

that sucks...I'll keep an eye out in case it leaves the state. watch ebay.

some what of a race report.

I had the worst race of my life. I bonked. Bad. About a mile and a half from the finish...I completely shut down. I was light-headed, couldn't keep my balance for shit and had a hard time turning the pedals. Fuck mountain bike racing. I'm done. I was wandering around on the course plucking black berries from the bushes.

It was really ugly.

i finally fixed up my first bike.

it's a chitown Schwinn Mini-Thrasher from about 1981.

red with gold

thing rules.

footbrakes

it has a kickstand haha

except for the chain and pedals, all original parts.

very tiny

very awesome.

Originally posted by SteveAustin

48:16...your whip?

it was...

i went from 3 working bikes to 1 in a week. the bottom bracket on my back up crapped out and is seized in the frame. i'm riding on the lowest of the low right now, on some riches to rags type shit.