Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest HESHIANDET

bicicletas

Di2 is amazing.  I went from an alloy cannondale frame with 105 to a full carbon with ultegra Di2 and it just feels faster.

Can anyone put me on game with locks ?

I’m a complete noob @ bicycles , need to pick one up since I’ve been biking around a lot more and want to go on some longer missions . I ride with a backpack that can fit a normal sized lock . I wouldn’t be keeping the bike locked up for more than an hour or two - food stops etc , but I know it takes mere minutes to cut a lock .

1) I noticed Kryptonite has a numbered level system , what’s the best # to pick up ? (Or any other specific brands/models you trust/personally use) 

2) Cable Lock or U Lock ? Both ?

3) What is the proper way to lock up a bicycle ? Does it depend on the bike ? I ride a 3 speed Linus roadster (posted prev page) . Lock up the front tire AND frame ?

Any help would be much appreciated ~

@luhem- I've been using an OTTO lock for about a year and I freakin' love it. Love it so much I bought one in each size. The small one I can roll up and stick in my back pocket for those around-town rides. With four layers of kevlar, cutting through the strip is damn near impossible. Read some reviews about them online.  

https://ottodesignworks.com/shop/ottolock

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 7.58.56 AM.png

• Like 1

On 8/3/2018 at 12:59 AM, Joker said:

@luhem- I've been using an OTTO lock for about a year and I freakin' love it. Love it so much I bought one in each size. The small one I can roll up and stick in my back pocket for those around-town rides. With four layers of kevlar, cutting through the strip is damn near impossible. Read some reviews about them online.  

https://ottodesignworks.com/shop/ottolock

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 7.58.56 AM.png

Without reading any review and purely looking at it visually, I'd say that is weak af. What about it, to you, makes it worth locking your baby to?

On 8/5/2018 at 6:22 AM, delv said:

Without reading any review and purely looking at it visually, I'd say that is weak af. What about it, to you, makes it worth locking your baby to?

Yeah, I would agree that upon looking at a photo I would laugh at any thought of locking my bike up with it. Seeing first hand how strong it is, and how it holds up to many different kinds of cutting tools (and large hammers), my view on 'looks' was overshadowed. 

But lets be honest... ANY lock is breakable. If thieves have time and want your bike bad enough, they'll find a way. 

I'm a year round commuter (or at least 10 months if it's really shitty) and I swear by using 2 complete locking systems (meaning lock your frame twice). I have a small Krypto Evolution lock for the rear wheel and frame, and another mini-Ulock and 15mm cable for the frame and front wheel (and I run it though my cetma cargo rack as as well).

Using two independent systems means that a thief needs to break two different locks to get my frame, so they'll move on to an easier score. Plus my bike is a debranded Nashbar beater.... but I'd hate to lose her.

• Like 1

oh, and I also have a two and a half foot "kryptoflex" cable that I can run though anything else. Short loop cables are so useful for bags, helmets etc....

• Like 1

Seems like the best case scenario is to get your bike secure enough so that any potential thiefs will glance at it then move along to the next target . Gonna get one small/one medium lock from Ottolock for short commutes where I may stop at a bathroom/run into a liquor store and a kryptonite setup for when I’m locking it up for an hour or two .

Thanks @Joker& @RumPuncher !

• Like 1

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now