bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

<<<newb....now that that's out of the way. I recently bought an old supercycle 12spd which was recently overhauled by a local older bike fixing kinda dude. All was well until today, which was my second day of biking 20km to work(it took me about 45 mins, is that a decent pace?) on the way home my rear wheel began shaking from side to side but the nuts were tight. I think it may just be a loose axle, I was hoping for this great group of cyclists input n thoughts on a remedy to said issue. Hoping for some good feedback and also some funny stuff, it's the oontz after all.

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
<<<newb....now that that's out of the way. I recently bought an old supercycle 12spd which was recently overhauled by a local older bike fixing kinda dude. All was well until today, which was my second day of biking 20km to work(it took me about 45 mins, is that a decent pace?) on the way home my rear wheel began shaking from side to side but the nuts were tight. I think it may just be a loose axle, I was hoping for this great group of cyclists input n thoughts on a remedy to said issue. Hoping for some good feedback and also some funny stuff, it's the oontz after all.

you might have blown the bearing retainer or if a loose ball rear axle you might have lost some of the balls on one or both sides .. either way your probably gonna need to get that hub rebuilt...

hell of a track race out at the velodrome tonight. they combined fields, so cat 1/2/3/4. we dropped off the old guys around lap 5 on a 50 lap points race and then proceeded to wreck the rest of the field until 4 of us remained. with 6 to go i got pooped and couldn't hang with yet another attack from the race leader, so sat up with a buddy and rode tempo. he held my wheel like a champ, but i managed to unleash everything i had left for a double points sprint at the end. 3rd place and 1st among the cat 3's!

that's about it for track this year, except possibly doing some match sprinting tomorrow. i'm bummed that it took me this long to get back on the velodrome after crashing out hard last season, but i'm really stoked i did. if this season was just a little longer i think i could squeeze a cat 2 upgrade before cross...

bump that spam bot, thats actullay the 6th post ever in this thread, by Devilush in 2001. Thanks, Google. Spams getting smart.

Anyway, moving to Chicago soon, any insights on riding there? Never been before.

Also wondering how much i need to step up my lock game. Right now I've got a cheap (probably replace with something better/lighter) standard size kryptonite through the frame and front wheel, cable off the kryptonite and around the back wheel, and ball bearings glued in all my seatpost bolts so my brooks doesn't disappear.

Wondering if i should also put a lock on the saddle, seeing as you can't really tell its secured at all right now from first glance.

BobbyMoney, sounds like broken axle to me. Either that or bearings as Emity was saying. Could even been a really loose hub though too that some adjustment would fix. Take it to your local older bike fixing kinda dude!

damn son!

is the 2's upgrade on the track the same as road - in the sense of going from racing with like-level people to being mixed in with pros who get paid to be fast?

mainly at the larger events, of which there are only a handful on the calendar. the really dedicated track guys here travel most of the west coast velodromes to do the big money stuff: FSA GP in seattle, AVC here, TVC in san jose and nationals in LA.

realistically, i'd say all things being equal, an upgrade to 2's on the road is a slightly bigger leap than 2's on the track, mainly because bigger fields in crits/RR's mean more talent you have to beat, but there's also some overlap between 1/2 trackies and strong crit guys.

more track racing this evening. match sprints this time. my flying 200m time was respectable for taking a shit line and riding a headwind finish, but my sprint tactics sucked in the actual heat. won the keirin, though, which was cool because i absolutely dug myself into the gutter to make up the gap for first place.

tomorrow: 24 hour scavenger hunt on bikes (almost seems like an idea pulled straight out of 'portlandia'). the $666 prize payout for winning is better than most (read: all) legitimate races that aren't pro-level.

sunday: cross crit out at a farm, likely not sleeping at all the night before. never done it before, but i guess it's basically a cross race without dismounts.

i'd say this weekend is shaping up to be a hell of a hipster stage race.

b23869fc.jpg

e89a0895.jpg

Finally got my volume thrasher how I want it. Not really into fixed gear freestyle stuff, mostly just wanted a gnarly commuter I could jump curbs and take on dirt. Finally found some long caliper brakes that would reach the rim, drilled a brake mount hole to mount brakes in forks and threw a freewheel on it. Pretty fun bike to smash around town on.

Ralphy.....like most bike related things....how much do you want to spend?

I got the CycleOps JetFluid Pro, based on Jokers recommendation....and it is great. Feels very real. It's not too loud. Highly recommend.

They have other options, just check their site.

But be warned riding stationary indoors is not very fun.

a good way to make indoor less boring is to watch real riding on tv. i've been watching for a higher end exercise bike (i'd just use a trainer, but wife prefers a fake bike....) but i watch downhill and xc and road videos and listen to metal and i don't find it to be too bad.