bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

as far as the whole fixed gear argument goes, i have more fun on mine than i ever did on any other free wheel bike i had, enough to the point to actually consider biking a hobby and something i enjoy. but there are plenty of hipster turds around here with nice fixed gears that never even ride and that's what pisses me off the most

I'm sure this convo has taken place a multitude of times in this thread, but whatever. I recently saw a dude rocking one of these http://bikes.urbanoutfitters.com/ and prior to our convo I had no idea that urban outfitters even made a bike. He was cool, whatever... needless to say I was pissed Urban Outfitters was putting dudes on brake-less bikes that clearly haven't ridden since their childhood and endangering everyone while simultaneously perpetuating a giant stereotype. However, from a business standpoint... they know their clientele and those dudes eat that shit up.

Also, I recently found out that walmart was putting single speed bikes and allegedly fixed gear bikes on their shelves. What the fuck! --> http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cycle-Force-Tour-de-France-Stage-One-Vintage-Red-51cm-Fixed-Gear-Bicycle/15382966?sourceid=1500000000000003260420&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=15382966

I'm sure this convo has taken place a multitude of times in this thread, but whatever. I recently saw a dude rocking one of these http://bikes.urbanoutfitters.com/ and prior to our convo I had no idea that urban outfitters even made a bike. He was cool, whatever... needless to say I was pissed Urban Outfitters was putting dudes on brake-less bikes that clearly haven't ridden since their childhood and endangering everyone while simultaneously perpetuating a giant stereotype. However, from a business standpoint... they know their clientele and those dudes eat that shit up.

looks like those are made by republic, and just also sold through urban outfitters? i remember browsing republic's site when i was trying to figure out what bike i wanted. i'd never buy one but a friend of mine actually has one that doesn't look completely stupid like most of them on that site. it actually seems to be built pretty well and rides super smooth, but i still like my fuji better. also, those bikes come with front and back brakes, they just don't picture them on the site i think.

So the last three STXC races I've done I have crashed. The one I did on Monday night... I crashed three times in that race alone. Two of them were bad, one of which was really bad. I'm still in awe that I got up and finished the race... and passed people to not even finish in last. Training this week has been slow but I finally got into some zone 4 intervals yesterday and it felt good to open up the legs. Taking next week off from racing but hope to get back out there the week after. The crits are starting to line up and I want to see what I can do.

Burrito... basically, if you ride to NW Lovejoy and ride west on that passed 25th, you'll start on the most ridden hill on Portland. Stay on that till you get to Skyline and either go left or right. Right will take you on some long rolling terrain for miles. Left will take you up some more and then back down to Portland. If you want a long ride... ride out HWY 30 till you see Rocky Point Road, turn left up that and go till you reach Skyline. Go left on Skyline and head back into town. Oh, actually, at some point you'll need to make a sharp left to stay on Skyline or you'll end up on Rock Creek and that will take you into Beaverton. The west hills have a lot of riding to explore but getting up to Skyline should keep you busy for a few. You can take Newberry up to Skyline (from HWY30) or if you want some cyclocross action you can take Saltzman up to Skyline (from HWY30). McNamee is a bad-ass climb and so is Logie Trail... both from HWY 30. If you want a fun descent... come down Germantown to HWY 30. It's twisty and fast. Thompson is a staple climb here in Portland but right now it's under construction. You can also climb up Lovejoy to 54th, go right and that will take you to Thompson just past the construction. Go right on Thompson and in less than mile you'll be at Skyline. Go right... rolling hills. Go straight, fun downhill to Beaverton. You could always turn around and climb back up.

It may rain here a lot but there is amazing roads for riding within minutes of downtown.

Who was asking about stuff to do in the gym to prep for riding?

I've been hellbent on Kettlebells the few years but when I was doing off-season weight training at the gym I would do squats, leg press, leg lifts, leg pulls and calf raises. I'd also do some sit-ups (several kinds), push ups, pull ups, dead lifts, one-arm row, and chest presses. This was three times a week.

With each exercise start with a weight that is light, not too light, and that you know you can do a lot of reps with. For one month do 3x15 reps for all the leg stuff, dead lifts, one arm and chest presses. Next month make that 3x20, for the whole month, and up the weights on the leg stuff by ten and arms by five or less. Then on month three I would do 3x30 squats and up the weight by ten. the other leg stuff I would do 4x20 with five pounds less than the week before. All the other stuff keep the same. By the fourth month the leg stuff should go to 5x20 with five to ten pounds less than the month before. Squats, though, keep going... 5x50, if you can, with a lighter weight. All the other stuff, ease back on the weight and reps to what you were doing in the first month. By the fifth month, if you want to stay in the gym do the same thing as you did on the fourth month but with less weight. The idea is you should be upping your miles on the bike and transferring some of this strength to the bike. if you stay in the gym, just keep the reps high and the weight relatively low. If the weight is low then you can do the reps a little bit faster... mostly the squats and other leg exercises. Think of it this way... you're mimicking the reps of pedal rotations.

However, unless you're doing specific training on the bike along with what you're doing in the gym then you won't get a ton from the work. It'll be better than nothing, though...

This is a question for people who know San Francisco:

I feel like ive explored golden gate's trails to their fullest. There may be pockets of trails out there that I havent found yet, but a solid 4 hours of riding around in the park I dont think theres anything left.

Is there anything else without going up and over the bridge?

Choc what would be fun is to see how far you can get around the east bay without using paved roads or trails. I bet you could get all the way to the summit of mt diablo from oakland.

yeah no doubt.

i have a friend who walked from alameda to diablo on mainly trails, he only skipped some because of all the up & down involved.

ran out of daylight and had to skip the summit.

i've done some gg park cross riding but was following and i'm not too sure on where we entered/exited.

i guess that would depend on what you want to ride.....

True apologize for not specifying...Im a SS/Fixed gear rider...but not for tricks or show I actually use it for sport. No carbon frames though please. (my pockets would thank that). I dig Cinelli, bianchi, velo, fuji, leader, etc...but trying to find something reasonable..about 500 or under for the frame. Even if any of you are selling a frame between 54 and 58..let a fellow rider know. The thicker the frame the better in my eyes as I feel its not as stiff as a ride as the smaller tubed frames.

Appreciate any non typical 12 oz response.

:cool: