bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

THere's no wind if you're on the trails, choc.

Friend just gave me a training routine he gives his juniors. It doesnt really look that hard but we'll see tomorrow. For those who have never seen a formal workout program for cycling (including me) here what one looks like:

December 19-25

Goal for Month: Increase Muscular Strength & Improve Pedaling Efficiency

Sunday: Sunday ride - 2.5-3.0 Hours

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: 2.0 Hours - 3 x 8' ME (85-100 rpm), 4-10' rest

Wednesday: 1.0 Hour - 4 x 15" seated spin up from 100 rpm to 150 rpm in 39x21 on flats ~60% effort (intention to warmup legs), 1.5' rest; 3 x 15" sprints from 15mph in 39x19, 3' rest

Thursday: 2.5 Hours - 2 x 5' ME (85-100 rpm), 4-10' rest 4 x 1.5' HTHC (45-55 rpm) with a sprint during last 15" from 50 rpm, 2' rest

5' AC (100+ rpm)

Friday: 2.0 Hours - Easy ride

Saturday: Christmas

Training Zones

Recovery (Active Recovery)

- Relative Heart Rate (HR) (relative to threshold): <75% of threshold HR

- Beats/ Min: <135

- Perceived Exertion: 0-1

AC (Aerobic Conditioning)

- Relative HR: 75-85% of threshold HR

- BPM: 135-153

- Perceived Exertion: 2-3

ME (Muscular Endurance)

- Relative HR: 88-94% of threshold HR

- BPM: 158-169

- Perceived Exertion: 4-5

AT (Anaerobic Threshold)

- Relative HR: 98-100% of threshold HR

- BPM: 176-180

- Perceived Exertion 6-7

VO2max (Aerobic Capacity)

- Relative HR: 104-108% of threshold HR

- BPM: 187-194 (too short torely on HR)

- Perceived Exertion: 8

MTHC (Moderate Torque Hypoxic Conditioning)

- 88-92% of threshold HR at 60-70 rpm

- BPM: 158-166

- Percieved Exertion: 4-6

HTHC (High Torque Hypoxic Conditioning)

- 82-90% of threshold HR at 45-55 rpm

- BPM: 148-162

- Percieved Exertion 3-5

Perceived Exertion Rating

0 Exertion is hardly noticeable

2 Legs feel like they are getting a slight workout

3 Legs feel like they are getting a workout, may notice heavier breathing

4 Breathing is noticeable, it is difficult to talk and breath

6 Breathing is laborious and legs are starting to really burn

8 Ouch (hard to sustain effort for more than 3 minutes when fresh)

9 More ouch (hard to sustain for more than a minute when fresh)

10 You have an evil grimace (hard to sustain effort for more than 30 seconds when fresh)

Training Zones and Workouts Described

Intervals described

What is 2 x 5’ (80-90 rpm) at AC with 5’ rest? This is two 5 minute intervals of AC pedaling at 80-90 rpm with 5 minutes of rest between

Rest interval described

What is rest? Rest is easy spinning, focusing on recovering for the next interval. While it may be tempting to take a complete rest, it is important to keep spinning around, keeping the legs loose. This is the opportunity for your legs to remove the waste from the intervals and replenish itself with new energy for the next interval.

Easy Spin - Recovery

Purpose of Workout

An easy spin is used to loosen stiff or sore legs and to circulate blood through the muscles to flush out metabolic waste products. This workout is not done as a workout to improve fitness but rather to keep your body fresh for harder rides.

Best Terrain

Flat, consistent terrain. This can also be done on a trainer with low resistance.

Workout Description

The entire workout should be ridden at a fairly high cadence 90-100 rpm. If you encounter hills, make sure to shift into an easy gear to maintain a high cadence.

Example Workout

1.0 Hours Easy – Go out for an easy ride and enjoy your day.

100-120 rpm at AC intensity - Recovery

Purpose of Workout

Spinning the legs at a high cadence further loosens up stiff or sore legs and to circulate blood through the muscles to flush out metabolic waste products.

Best Terrain

Flat, consistent terrain. This can also be done on a trainer with low resistance.

Workout Description

Focusing on being smooth and comfortable, ride at 100-120 rpm riding at the EC intensity. If you find yourself bouncing on the saddle, try gradually increasing your cadence.

Additional Notes

This workout is best added in at the end of a ride to freshen the legs. This is great at the end of an easy spin and particularly within 10’ of a high torque workout.

Example Workout

5’ EC at 100-120 rpm – Towards the end of your ride or within 10’ of a high torque workouts (workouts under 70 rpm), spend 5’ in your EC zone spinning at 100-120 rpm.

Long Tempo Ride - Endurance Workouts

Purpose of Workout

Gain endurance, aerobic conditioning, and cycling efficiency. As with a long easy ride, you will give your body a chance to work on building an aerobic base.

Best Terrain

A ride that has a bit of climbs, particularly in the middle of the ride.

Workout Description

Start out really easy and when you feel good you can ride with a bit more effort, especially in the hills. At the end of the ride you want to have an easy cool down.

Additional Notes

A great way to have fun with this workout is to go along on a ride with a training partner or a group ride.

Example Workout

3.0 Hours Long Tempo Ride – all described above

ME Intervals - Aerobic Conditioning Workouts

Purpose of Workout

Gain aerobic fitness and muscular endurance. ME intervals are also great for burning the most calories if time restricted.

Best Terrain

Flat or hilly roads without any downhill sections

Workout Description

Gradually build into this workout, focusing on being steady, smooth, and comfortable. This is a perfect workout to focus on your posture, breathing, and pedaling technique.

Additional Notes

If using a heart rate monitor, it may take a bit of time for your heart rate to build up and reach a steady state.

Example Workout

2 x 10’ of ME at 80-90 rpm, 5’ rest – After getting a suitable warmup, start one ten minute interval and focus on being comfortable. Take a 5’ rest spinning easy then start another 10’ interval.

30” sustained sprinting, 30” rest - Aerobic Conditioning Workouts

Purpose of Workout

Gain aerobic fitness quicker recovery from high intensity efforts.

Best Terrain

Flat or hilly roads without any downhill sections

Workout Description

Stay seated and hold a cadence of 80-110 rpm during the 30” sustained sprint. Try to hold an intensity that you can sustain for a maximum of 1 minute. Take a 30” rest spinning easy and get prepared for the next 30” sustained sprint

Additional Notes

If using a heart rate monitor, it may take a bit of time for your heart rate to build up and reach a steady state.

Example Workout

2 x 3 x (30” sustained sprinting, 30” rest) with 5’ rest between sets – 3’ of the 30 second sprinting, 30” rest, taking a 5’ rest then doing the second set

MTHC – Aerobic Power Workouts

Purpose of Workout

Recruiting additional motor units aerobically to produce more sustainable power. In addition to neuromuscular recruitment, the reduction of blood flow due to the high tension riding will cause what is known as stagnant hypoxia which increases capillary density, mitochondria density, and aerobic enzyme concentrations.

Best Terrain

Best terrain: Flat or consistent, gradual hills

Workout Description

Gradually build into this workout, focusing on being steady, smooth, and comfortable. This is a perfect workout to focus on your posture, breathing, and pedaling technique.

Additional Notes

Example Workout

2 x 8’ of MTHC at 60-70 rpm, 5’ rest – After getting a suitable warmup, start one ten minute interval and focus on being comfortable. Take a 5’ rest spinning easy then start another 10’ interval.

HTHC – Aerobic Power Workouts

Purpose of Workout

Like MTHC, the purpose is to recruit additional motor units aerobically to produce more sustainable power. In addition to neuromuscular recruitment, the reduction of blood flow due to the high tension riding will cause what is known as stagnant hypoxia which increases capillary density, mitochondria density, and aerobic enzyme concentrations. With HTHC, there are significant cycling specific muscle strength gains.

Best Terrain

Consistent gradual hill

Workout Description

Additional Notes

Example Workout

6 x 2’ of MTHC at 45-55 rpm, 2’ rest – After getting a suitable warmup, start a 2 minute interval. Take a 2’ rest spinning easy then start another 2’ interval.

30” at 50 rpm, 30” at 100+ rpm - Pedaling Efficiency Workouts

Purpose of Workout

While getting the legs prepared for MTHC and HTHC, this workout helps teach smooth pedaling at a high cadence.

Best Terrain

Flat terrain

Workout Description

For the first 30 seconds stay seated and push at a pace that you know you can hold for 10-15 minutes at 50 rpm then immediately shift into a much easier gear and hold the same intensity at 100+ rpm. Immediately shift to a much harder gear and spin at 50 rpm etc until the intervals are done.

Additional Notes

Don’t worry about your heart rate for this workout. Focus on being smooth with an even, round pedal stroke.

Example Workout

2 x 5 x (30” @ 50 rpm/30” @ 100+ rpm), 5’ rest – The set would total to 5 minutes with a 5’ rest

Single Leg Intervals - Pedaling Efficiency Workouts

Purpose of Workout

Teaches a smooth and efficient pedal stroke.

Best Terrain

Flat terrain

Workout Description

Alternate 30 seconds spinning 70-100 rpm with only one leg clipped. Focus on smooth round pedal strokes, emphasizing on “scraping your shoes” through the bottom of the pedaling stroke and “gliding your foot forward” over the top of the pedal stroke.

Additional Notes

Don’t worry about your heart rate for this workout. Focus on being smooth with an even, round pedal stroke. You may feel a bit awkward doing this workout but keep in mind that as you do this workout, you will only be getting stronger.

Example Workout

If is “5’ of single leg intervals” alternate working each leg for 30 seconds each, totaling 5 intervals for each leg.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

It's always interesting to see how others put together a workout. Really, a plan is more beneficial than no plan. Keeps you from hammering all the time and getting no where.

I might get on the bike on Saturday... maybe. This rest period sure has been nice.

Been gettin' pretty blown up delivering Christmas trees around town via bike lately. Real talk, climbing a 10% grade with a tree attached to your trailer is a whole new world of hurt, never mind having a triple crankset and touring cassette.

Choc, whatchu know about 21st Ave. Cycles in Portland?

Joker, you lifting this off-season? I've been doing squats in the gym lately - trying to improve my sprint for Spring/Summer 2011.

I didnt care that I was in shorts and a teeshirt today--with temperatures in the mid 40's and pouring rain-- until i was about 3 miles away from the summit of Mt Diablo. That's when the ridiculous crosswinds started knocking me around. Whole body went numb and cramped up on the descent so i stopped at starbucks (only store open in Walnut Creek today) and got some coffee, ate a muscle milk bar, then 45 minutes later rode home.

THAT SAID, I got some awesome cross riding in. Burma trail took me from northgate to the 1000' elevation mark before crossing northgate road again. (Its the first trail entrance I saw after entering northgate.) Theres a few fun stream crossings that i tried to just ride over. Then I ended up walking my bike up a couple hills because i couldnt get enough traction. (Something to work on.) The trail seems to go past the 3000 foot mark, but the hills are pretty serious so I'd recommend trying it on a drier, warmer day.

The whole thing was sick tho. As you ride up the mud on your tires goes from brown to red. Im impressed how fast i got up Mt Diablo with the added fire trails. God i love this bike.

If you’ve ever thrown your leg over a bike, been to a punk show, pushed a skateboard, or made something yourself you will love this movie, I promise. It’s available streaming online now, for free, for-ever. Sit down this week and watch this movie in its entirety, it’s one of the most entertaining documentaries I’ve ever watched.

I Love My Bicycle: The Story of FBM (full movie)

• Like 1