bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

Decy... the only problem I foresee is that you'll have to add full fenders to your bike to keep you "dry" on wet days, which you know you'll get a lot of. Not sure how that would work out with the front shock. Have you considered the Boardman CX bike? It's like having a dirt bike and a road bike all in one. Instead of buying a mountain bike now and then a road bike later, you could buy a CX bike now and then buy a second wheelset for riding on the road with road tyres/tires. If you're set on disc brakes there's plenty of CX bikes out there with disc brakes, as well. If it's the suspension you're after... stick with a MTB.

I think the Boardman is a good choice, and you're supporting a fellow countryman. A pretty famous one at that.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Decy, im curious why you think a roadbike is impractical. Is your town kicking it oldschool with cobblestone streets or something?

700 GBP would buy a nice bike here in the states. Im curious how that program works, like if you have some sort of sign-in making sure you're riding the bike to work. The Bay Area should have one of those... but really all that would do is free up a lot of parking at bart stations.

Edit: just looked at the exchange rate.... It's about that time to visit the UK again. Hahahhaha

well the way it works is they take the money off you over 12months, but they deduct from your wages before tax and NI so you save money that way becaue you then pay lower taxes. They dont check shit when it comes to actually riding to work, I got a BMX a few years back on the scheme and never once rode to work.

A Road bike is impractical just for the commuting asoect, it has been years since I rode and I will ride in most weather and I used to hate riding in rain and snow on my old road bike (plus my style of riding is from MTB so I have to hold myself back more on a road bike), so I just want something that is easy to use, plus a road bike isnt as easy to take to the park with my wife and son to go for a ride around.

Joker I am still considering my options, I do enjoy Mountain biking and there are some nice trails around that I could ride. I will get a rear fender definitely but as I get a voucher for 15% of the bikes value to spend on accesories so I am getting breathable waterproof trousers and Jacket. Damn you throwing the CX option in there now I am really confused haha

had the letter from work today confirming its all gone through just waiting on the letter of collection now.

knowing how much I used to cycle and have wanted to for sometime I forsee myself in this thread quite a lot, my brother has already started pushing me to get a road bike for some London to Paris charity ride

I used to Ride a campag groupset on a raleigh dynatech Titanium frame on the road (look pedal and sidi shoes) and a steel custom build dynatech MTB that was completely hard tail and front fork (deore, spds, sidi shoes), this will be my first time riding shocks.

wearing a chain wallet in a machine shop............ sigh.

neat idea tho, but who the fuck wants to lug around a heavy ass lock? each one of those motors weighs atleast 3 pounds.

edit: unless those crazy germans invented a new motor that looks exactly like a bush motor, with half the weight.

Ok so scratch everything i said earlier about my wheels. Took them to a different shop and they trued them right up. My bearings are fine too. And they got rid of all the slack in the rear hub without tightening the freehub too much. Joker your shop should be able to do the same thing. They said it's just because the bearings are sealed it's real finicky. Gotta love AC420's Anyway soon as im torched up I'm going on a night ride.

Good call, Soup. Thanks!

Oh the drama surrounding racing teams. Sometimes I think it would be easier to just race unattached... except for that pesky LBS discount. I don't know if I made the right choice going back to my old team. I'm feeling sad that my new team, from this year, is done...

Yeah i deleted my description of the course thinking I'd be able to find a more articulate video, but Im sortof disappointed nothing's really shown the course in its entirety. A few of the older heads that raced the 35+ B's And the single speed in the same day had fancy helmet cameras. I would assume they're either editing it all together or on some bay area forum I have yet to discover.

By the way my eggbeater SL's came in. Soooooo nice. Just waiting for my mavic tempos to come in.

Here's a fun fact about Mavic: it's owned by adidas. That's why their shoes look exactly the same as adidas cycling shoes.

Im full of useful information. Just ask chocula. I think he fell asleep four or five times while I was rambling on about bike shit.

Yeah. The "I know that chick. I can't think of her name, but i swear i know her." girl was the best.

Oh and the tiny polka dotted chick that was FLYING ahead of every other girl in her heat.

Bike's officially done. Including the rig, casette, truing of my beater 420's, MTB shoes and pedals that I had to buy, i've spent a total of $895. First time i've bought a bicycle and didn't have to sell a car or a motorcycle to do it. Probably should be picking up a couple der hangers soon too.

I cant read the numbers so I dunno. :/

Ok so today was the first real cyclocross ride. Pinehearst to skyline to redwood park to redwood road, then pinehearst again. This bike is fucking amazing. It's fast, light, stiff, responsive, and was soaking up some of the most brutal terrain I could've possibly imagined without any chatter except for the chain dropping on a few seriously fast, technical descents.

You know you went through some shit when you cant tell if your legs are shaking because you're exhausted or because you nearly just fucking killed yourself. I had to walk the bike down a couple slopes because i didnt think the canti brakes would hold. Discs would def be nice. For now im tucking behind the saddle and praying for the best.

Also the ride is so fucking comfy. The mud2s are fucking BALLER. The rainy 50 degree weather would piss me off if i was riding a road bike but im out today in shorts and a teeshirt soaked and thinking it's the PERFECT cyclocross weather. hahaha. Also my eggbeaters are dope. My Mavic tempos are comfy and responsive. My AC420's took a brutal fucking beating. Some of these descents were so fast and bumpy I have to check later to make sure everything's still bolted down. I nearly lost my handlebars.

8000 ft. is serious as fuck, and fit for climbing-types only unless you have a triple and want to do it slow as fuck.

Soup, stoked that I know the area you're riding in. So you did all the off road shit in that area? Nice. 50 and raining sounds perfecto. Regarding brakes, you can always go with TRP's Mini V brakes if maximum stopping power is your thing, although they're a little short on modulation without a travel agent. For fuck around with the canti straddle cable height up front if fork shutter isn't an issue.

8000 feet of climbing in 30 miles is pretty good. That's like climbing mt diablo twice, with an extra ten miles of run.

Yeah you were right in my neck of the woods dude. You got to see a good chunk of what EVERY ride in the east bay consists of. Skyline, pinehearst, redwood, and tunnel... all you need now is grizzly, south park, wild cat canyon, then bear creek. And Mt Diablo, of course, which is tricky just because it sits in the middle of suburbia with a complete lack of interesting roads to use to get there.

What did you think of the roads, btw? Still like P-Town more?

And how's the whole canti straddle cable height thing work? In the front it's sitting kinda low. In the back its higher up. I dont know how that affects braking power.

And i did notice when i used the front brake on a paved road I could see the front fork shuddering. I have no idea what causes it so it just made me laugh and think "couldnt've picked a better looking bike to die on."