bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

I dont know if people who ride tallbikes are self-concious enough to care if people actually look at them.

Love that yeti tho. Fist have you seen this?

Oh and cassette/new chain came. It's an 11/25 to match the stock casette for the bike. I'm thinking i should've gone with a taller casette. Four more days (wednesday) till my Mud2's come. I'd be riding right now but it's fucking pouring rain. If i cant find a frog tog today I'll be making pants from garbage bags.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

going up to a trail run/mountain bike race thing with a few people from the lbs. they talked me into throwing cyclocross tires on my fixed gear and racing it in the single speed class.

44/16 gearing should be interesting. it will be funny seeing me break away from everyone and then get dropped on the first slight incline :lol:

il be riding clipless though, so that might help a bit on the climbs.

any tips for running with a 28lb steel framed bike up a hill?

also, i agree with the function over form. its not the bike that makes the rider.

i guess it all depends on the definition.

but if i had to choose one, id pick function over form.

in that case, function meaning: does it work well

and form meaning: is it pretty

luckily theres only 800ft elevation per lap, and i think its pretty gradual.

but it WILL be a few hours after a 10k which i plan on concentrating my efforts on. the mtb race is more of a "registration is free since im paying for the run, and i wont have to spend anything on my bike to do it" type thing.

edit: the steel is just an explanation for why a fixed gear weighs 28 pounds, and why im not scared to take it off drops and whatnot.

having a doper mtb really only implies that he makes better money or has different priorities. it proves nothing whatsoever.

in boulder there are people that ride yetis w/ full xtr and maverick parts in their birkenstocks and socks to the bars. again. not proving a thing.

All I'm saying is homie is a straight up traditional mountain biker, and to classify him as a hipster because he built a tall bike for shits and giggles is dumb as hell.

Edit- and that yeti is doooooooope

Choc you map your route? I was gonna do that this weekend but i ran into some problems (bitchfest cont.):

1. Mud2 tires havent come yet. They'll be here wednesday.

2. My AC420's are shot. Sidewalls worn smooth, ceramic bearings need replacement, spokes are stretched, nipples bottomed out.... everything but the hub shell needs to be replaced. I'm contacting American classic tomorrow to see what they can do for me. If its too expensive i'll be buying/building a new pair. Also Joker if you're reading this, get that loose hub fixed. I don't know how many mm of play you have but the longer you let it go on the faster you'll wear those wheels out. Lots of companies use those hubs so there's no reason for them to have play in them. That's what i learned today,

Also choc i want to see the whole build. Haha.

My eyes are hurting. There's this weird yellow-like bright glowing orb in the sky. People are standing in the streets looking upward in amazement. I think... I think it's the sun. Can't be sure, it's been so long. I'll have to get on my bike and investigate.

@Rubbish... sorry to hear it. Wanted to race at the last minute but couldn't make it down. Heard the conditions were just awful.

@Count... you're hooked now, right?

Do we have to keep having the same lame conversation every six weeks about tight pants kids riding fixed gears, or wackadoo people riding tall bikes? We all know they exist, we all know they make us giggle, or enrage chickenwings, can we just get past it and stay focused on what WE LOVE about cycling. Less bitching... just saying.

Next year I'm planning on buying this frame and fork for the CX racing season. After way too many close calls, crashing into other riders and ruining bike bits from having no brakes... I'm going with disc brakes. I hope they can cut down some of the weight by next September.

stevens_cyclocross_full_view_600.jpg

stevens_cyclocross_disc_rear_600.jpg

This bike seems pretty crazy, and it's not a concept bike... it's an actual working bike that is for sale.

factor001-bike1.jpg

15lbs complete, Hydraulic carbon disc brakes and integrated GPS/power/HR monitor on handlebars are just a few of the goodies offered... for around $27k

^ whoa.

yes joker, if i wasn't already sold yesterday - today's ride has made me a believer -- PRAISE THE LORD!

for real —

lot's of technical stuff today to test my wits.

starting to get the hang of a smooth dismount+hurdle+remount.

bailed and was able to laugh about it.

i'm amazed this bike can put up with the sort of abuse i've put it through in the last 48hours.

5195487429_57f80db01f_z.jpg

Choc, Joker, those bikes just look proper.

Just scored some trainer wheels off a homie who used to ride for Rock Racing so I'll be riding JM park this wednesday. I dunno where you guys went riding but those climbs are like southpark covered in powdery dirt. It's the exact trail I've had in mind this entire time i was considering a crossbike.

race was fucking insane. finished dead last in my class, a bike with 44/16 gearing isnt meant to be taken on a course with about 50 yards total of flat ground, and 800ft of climbing. but its all good cus i did a sick barspin across the finish :lol:

had a lot of fun though, riding fixed mtb with no brakes helps your bike control a LOT. you figure out how to pedal set reaaaal quick.

my run went well though. only got beat in the 10k by two local freaks who ran the same 800ft climbing course in 34 minutes flat. (6.2 miles, thats 6 fucking 5:48 miles back to back.) i did it in 45:04, not as good as i wanted but when theres a hill that you could climb on all fours faster then run up, oh well.

Joker... that bike is sick.

Saturday was basically all off-camber sections with mostly uphill and downhill stuff. The mud was peanut buttery... real nasty stuff, and very slippery on the off camber. On a certain o/c S-turn section running along a steep grassy hill, I couldn't ride OR run it... slipped every 3 feet running every lap, no matter the line. Probably also didn't help that I was out drinking and dancing until 1am the night before...

Today's race, however, was the shit. It rained during, which seriously makes racing so much better... the mud is more manageable IMO. Anyways, it was 'grass crit' style, just the way I like it. I got lined up in the front row on the starting line but got stuck in some goopy mud in the hole shot that basically let me tires spin around without making any forward movement. Fuck... got booted to 3rd row then recovered and stayed top 15 the whole race. I'm nearly positive I finished top 10 in the end. Very sloppy mud, sweet deep puddles, only a few barriers and one run up, pumpkin barriers that you could bunny hop or (sketchily) ride through a tire's width gap, and a hay obstacle. Farm racing at it's best... oh and the bonfires. Good stuff having bonfires. All in all possibly my strongest Portland race to date, and I beat two friends whom I've never been able to get in a cross race before, one of whom I've never beaten anywhere... post race high.

Oh, got the Stan's 355 tubeless wheels up and running w/ Mud 2's and I gotta say, sick stuff. No burps, no pinch flats, more traction and lower pressure than running the same tires as clinchers. Sweet deal.

Also doing those fancy new TRP Mini V brakes. They weren't set up well yesterday but today they were just about perfect in the wet. A little tight on rim clearance but not a serious issue. They actually stop, unlike out-of-adjustment canti's, and they don't involve an esoteric set of skills to adjust.

I sorta remember there being a lot of singletrack in GG park. Never ridden it tho. Definitely on my to-do list. Actually, dont they have races there?

Rubbish would you run those tubulars on the road? I keep seeing nice cheap tubular rims but im not keen on the idea of low psi tubes on my ride to the trails.

Yo Soup... I'm not running tubular, I'm running tubeless. What it basically involves is a special rim and the use of sealant to get a clincher tire to seat to the bead. What you get is lower pressure, better traction, sealant to seal up small cuts before you flat, and lower weight.

But regarding tubulars... I wouldn't run them for training unless you have a fairly durable tire (i.e. heavier Tufo) because it's gonna be a pain to change flats. But if you can get a fairly cheap tubbie wheelset and you're keen on racing, it could be racing. They're best on the track and in cross where you run the polar extremes of tire pressure, but lots of people race/like them on the road as well.

get that stans son.

seriously, stans is fucking awesome.

although on the trip we went on a night ride and my friend had it leaking through his sidewall, i guess cus of all the jumps with rooty landings. but its still seriously worth it, you can run your tires at insanely low psi, and you dont get flats. period.

only downside is it costs about 100 dollars per wheel to set up