bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Today's race... ugh. Had a great call-up and was in the front row. Was in fourth position at the top of the hill, into second going through the rooted section, into first with a little gap forming on the downhill section, crashed in the off-camber section and snapped my rear shifter in half. The force of the fall shifted my chain into the 12t cog and I couldn't move it without causing more damage. Race over in less than five minutes. In those five minutes I was so muddy you'd think I'd been racing for an hour...

Today's race... ugh. Had a great call-up and was in the front row. Was in fourth position at the top of the hill, into second going through the rooted section, into first with a little gap forming on the downhill section, crashed in the off-camber section and snapped my rear shifter in half. The force of the fall shifted my chain into the 12t cog and I couldn't move it without causing more damage. Race over in less than five minutes. In those five minutes I was so muddy you'd think I'd been racing for an hour...

Gah... looks like we're both members of the broken shifter club now. What'd you have on there anyway, SRAM?

Yep... SRAM Rival. I found a few places online that sell just the single levers but they were both out. Only place local that had Rival levers would only sell me the set. Thankfully they had a set from a bike that went down in a test ride and scratched the left shifter. So they sold the set to me for the price of the singles I found online. Still more money than I can afford.

Looking for revenge in Sherwood. Thinking of doing the Ninkrossi race as well.

You know, I think I'm smitten with this CX stuff. It's like all my training and racing on the road all year has been to prepare me for the CX season. Ha!

Word, I snapped a Rival shifter myself... I'm not sure if it's SRAM or what. Me and a good mechanic friend were actually having a conversation about it and he was saying how he says broken SRAM shifters the most, Campy the second most, and has rarely if ever seen a Shimano one. His speculation was that since the brake lever is obviously also the shifter on Shimano, and since it moves on impact when you crash, that absorbs a lot of the shock that would otherwise crack the body if it was Campy/SRAM. Interesting food for thought.

For future reference, price checking through Universal Cycles can be a good bet if you didn't do that already. Some people talk shit about that place, but honestly, having a shop that carries a bajillion items and has a super efficient online inventory system is so awesome in comparison to all the local shops in Eugene that pretty much run their entire shop out of the QBP catalog and nearly always have to place an order when you need anything other than the most standard of components.

Also, if you want to race on the cheap there's always SS :D

[ATTACH]146899.vB[/ATTACH]

this shit is rusted and stuck. like. STUCK STUCK. it will not budge. soaked it with pb blaster today nada.. tried using a bar on my wrench for more leverage and that shit will not move.

any ideas????? i dont know if the guy stored this bike in a swamp or what. the frame is fine but basically everything on it was rusted as fuck. this is the last obstacle. it is seriously making me lose my mind.

the pic isnt actually the bike im talking about but that doesnt matter.

stuckthefuckup.JPG.80e522fbb824699125f56c1ecaf8bf9b.JPG

i understand when people take the time to restore classic bikes, but i DO NOT understand when people restored pieces of shit bikes that were garbage when they were sold, and ought to be in a landfill.

that said. if you've got pieces rusted together, odds are you aren't going to get them apart. but, if you soak them in something overnight/for a couple days and let products like wd-40 or your pb blaster ( i have no idea what that is, but i'm sure its similar) or brake cleaner soak in and break up the rust you might get them apart.

good luck.

wd40 is completely worthless compared to blaster. http://www.blastercorporation.com/

i wouldnt say im restoring a bike exactly. more like taking a bunch of MOSTLY but not completely shitty shit someone gave me for 20 bucks and making something useful for someone to ride back and forth to work on. everything doesnt have to be super nice does it? if its got wheels and rolls and brakes that make it stop and doesnt explode into 300 piece when you sit on it its alright in my book. i hate throwing away useful shit.

i took a hacksaw to the bolt and pried it off with a flathead.

I AM THE BRUTE SQUAD.

buddy who does the 12 hr endurance races ss just got sponsored by crank brothers. he gets the stuff for less then cost now, too bad crank brothers doesnt make SHIT other then pedals.

but im gettin me a set of skewers and a seatpost clamp :lol:

ima try to snag a picture of the price list he has for evidence.

Ok gentlemen, I have a problem...well sorta...I have a Rallye 12 speed road bike and and I'm thinking of converting it to a fixie...any pros or cons about converting?

looks similar to this

1y8spd.jpg

check the rear drop outs

make sure it's a bike worth spending money on

When I built mine up, I dumped a lot of money into it beyond the drivetrain.

Particularly the seat and handlebars, wasn't expecting it to but it really changed how my bike rode.

Any o y'all do touring?

I got a mid-80's Trek 520 and i borrowed my buddy's tubus front rack and axiom panniers. they ride super low and it feels damn solid. filled em up with old textbooks on my commute today to feel em out. like i said; solid.

I'm doin Minneapolis-Chicago next week. Late october might not have been the best idear for a time of year for a tour but fuckit.

• Like 1

Ok gentlemen, I have a problem...well sorta...I have a Rallye 12 speed road bike and and I'm thinking of converting it to a fixie...any pros or cons about converting?

Why do you have to convert it? Is the current drive train all fucked up? Because, you know, everyone is moving on to 70's ten speeds. You might as well keep it as is and be ahead of the trend. Why ride what was cool in early 2010 when you can ride what is cool in late 2010?

Just leave it the way it is. It'll cost you more time and money to convert it than you're willing to put up. Or save your dollars for a few months and buy a new cheap singlespeed for $350-500. Maybe you'll get some money for Christmas...

Hell, you can find the SE Draft Lite online for under $300. You'll probably end up spending close to that to convert your current bike.

Why do you have to convert it? Is the current drive train all fucked up? Because, you know, everyone is moving on to 70's ten speeds. You might as well keep it as is and be ahead of the trend. Why ride what was cool in early 2010 when you can ride what is cool in late 2010?

Just leave it the way it is. It'll cost you more time and money to convert it than you're willing to put up. Or save your dollars for a few months and buy a new cheap singlespeed for $350-500. Maybe you'll get some money for Christmas...

Hell, you can find the SE Draft Lite online for under $300. You'll probably end up spending close to that to convert your current bike.

all of this stuff was funny.