bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Fuuuuuuggggghhhh... rode my new CX bike today and the brakes fucking suck. Squealing sooooo loudly. The front end vibrates so horribly that it's too scary to use them on a downhill section. I gotta get all that figured out ASAP before I start racing. This sucks. More money I don't have...

Well... you can get your schooling right here and we can probably help you find a good deal on a bike as well. Just a couple of questions...

what kind of bike do you want? Meaning... are you mainly going to use it to get around town, from bar to bar? Or are you going to do some distance riding on the road? Maybe you want to go do some single track in the woods.

How much can you spend?

Pedoe... a quick search on Craigslist in my area brought a bunch of road and single speed bikes in your price range that also fit your requirements. They were all made within the last ten years and looked pretty decent. Nothing was above $450. So... I would check Craigslist first. Or if you have a consignment bike shop in your area you could check there as well.

Bikes I saw:

Motebecane road bike

Kona single speed

Bianchi single speed

Trek road bike

Fuji road bike

• Like 1

Fuuuuuuggggghhhh... rode my new CX bike today and the brakes fucking suck. Squealing sooooo loudly. The front end vibrates so horribly that it's too scary to use them on a downhill section. I gotta get all that figured out ASAP before I start racing. This sucks. More money I don't have...

I know this was a while ago, but it sounds like you just need a brake adjustment, which can be done really easily with the right sized allen wrench. Even then it's pretty inexpensive at a shop.

46983_1627857255653_1213201223_1778710_8260302_n.jpg

is there too much slack in my chain?

someone said there was......should it be as tight as possible?

i do sometimes feel a little play in the crank, is that an issue with slack?

Yo chain is mad saggy and will one day slip if you dont tighten it. It doesnt have to be tight as hell, but a little play is good enough

Random... that photo of your bike would be so much better were it taken about twenty feet to the left of where you took it ;)

Rubbish, Fist... yeah, everything I read said canti brakes with carbon forks and brake shudder is just common. Even pros deal with it. I changed out the pads to Swiss Stop Rat pads and that actually helped quite a lot. Still a little bit of shudder but nearly what it was.

Count... I'd say for October and November really concentrate on base miles. Saturday and or Sunday should be a long-ish ride, if you can. When riding during the week try to ride for at least an hour. Warm up for ten to fifteen minutes and then ride in that comfortable but working zone for at least 45 minutes. Then cool down on your way home. Same with the weekend ride. Warm up and then get in that zone for the majority of the ride. On at least one of the weekday rides do a set of jumps toward the end of the ride. Jumps = easy gearing - 39/17 or 39/21 - stand up and sprint as hard as you can for about ten seconds. Recover for one minute and then do it again. Repeat five times. I can give you more details later.

if you're interested (or anyone on here for that matter) I can go through my coaching log and share with you what I did during the winter months and you can take and use what you want.

Count... I'll look at my training log tonight and figure something out. It's a Google spread sheet and without opening it up to the world I'm not quite sure how to share it, but I'll figure out how to share the better parts.

Random... it's interesting to me how BMX bikes have evolved over the years. I was big-time into BMX in the 80's. Mike Buff, RL Osborne and Mike Dominguez were the big names at the time. Dirt jumping and half pipes were all I cared about. Saddles were plastic, chainrings were big, seat posts were long and the pedals left you with scars on your shins... for life. I really want to get another BMX bike but I think I'm a little too old to do so. I mean, I could but I would have to wear t-shirts with the sleeves cut off, baggy jeans that are hanging down around my thighs and a ball cap perfectly tilted to one side. Oh, and a cigarette hanging out of my mouth. Well, at least that's what the old dudes on BMX bikes look like in my area. Of course, they're also looking for their next fix and their bikes are beat to shit... and they work at the carnival. I heard there's a park just south of me in Gladstone that has a ton of BMX jumps and stuff... I need to go check that out.

Count... I'll look at my training log tonight and figure something out. It's a Google spread sheet and without opening it up to the world I'm not quite sure how to share it, but I'll figure out how to share the better parts.

Random... it's interesting to me how BMX bikes have evolved over the years. I was big-time into BMX in the 80's. Mike Buff, RL Osborne and Mike Dominguez were the big names at the time. Dirt jumping and half pipes were all I cared about. Saddles were plastic, chainrings were big, seat posts were long and the pedals left you with scars on your shins... for life. I really want to get another BMX bike but I think I'm a little too old to do so. I mean, I could but I would have to wear t-shirts with the sleeves cut off, baggy jeans that are hanging down around my thighs and a ball cap perfectly tilted to one side. Oh, and a cigarette hanging out of my mouth. Well, at least that's what the old dudes on BMX bikes look like in my area. Of course, they're also looking for their next fix and their bikes are beat to shit... and they work at the carnival. I heard there's a park just south of me in Gladstone that has a ton of BMX jumps and stuff... I need to go check that out.

You should, also check out the BMX thread. Lots of riders and oldschoolers like yourself.

I have been riding BMX since I was a kid in the 80s as well. I still ride and its awesome