bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Bear with me...

So, last night I'm riding out to the store after dark. Approaching a blind 90 to the right and a downhill. I didn't see the headlights but I heard the distinc sound of a loose fan belt so I flipped on my head light. It goes to the 'flashy' setting and I turn the corner. At the bottom of the 200ft hill is a pickup truck, in the middle of the street and preparing to make a left. Simultaneously, a late 90's LTD approaches on the other road and wants to take a right. Something is wrong with the side lens on the turn signal so it just lights up with bright white light all steady. Like a freakin spotlight. Dude in the truck is pretty much in the way so LTD had to jam in and creep past the side. Meanwhile, truck dude has his hands up off the wheel and he's shaking his head. I'm almost entirely stoppped on his bumper, so my light is just flashing off his tailgate and is barely visible. The LTD is finally managing to creep past. I notice that LTD guy is mouthing the words 'something something asshole!' and I'm agreeing. Still, dude gets past, I dive for the opening and the guy in the truck pulls across the street and off the road. Then he kinda just keeps on driving, steering back onto the road and driving off but, the entire time he's looking back out the window at me with this fully bewildered look on his face. So, the next thing road wise is a left turn for both of us to an up hill and I see his dome light flip on... then he drives off and I ride on.

I was wondering what the fuc that was all about when I realized that it was the 4th of July weekend. I think, between my flashing headlight and the LTD with the fucked up blinker... I think dude thought he was getting swooped on by 5-0. Instead, he got called an asshole by the other driver and got no response from me... I'm pretty sure that when I saw the dome light, he was digging up his cell phone and calling his best friend: "DUDE! Holy shit, you don't know WHAT just blah blah..."

So, I chuckle and ride on. On the way home I picked up a piece of glass in my front tire... lot's of loss but I managed to make it about a mile before the tire was fully flat. I didn't have that far to go, about a half mile, so I just lowered the seat and hung my ass back to lift the front a bit, this worked fabulously until the rubber started chafing and making this sound like a drowning puppy. I 'yelped' that bike all the way home at 10:45pm...

All in all, a fun four miles!

180443490_b67f87cb7f.jpg?v=0

getting this bike from a friend for freee. anyone know what model it is? it says bianchi trofeo but i couldnt' find anything online about it. rims are sub ceramic ones. and thats pretty much all i know so far.

good bike frame? average? worth keeping?

My bikes a dirty fushia color. the frames an old huffy frame, its so unbelievably comfortable for taller riders. hazard lite rims, pegs are jpegs, odessey crankm snafu bars. I forgot what the tires are, but i need new ones, i can see the treading. and i ride brakeless, so i dunno how that happened.

GIVE ME SOME HELP 12OZ...

OR THIS 3 SPEED CRUISER???

im leanin towards the first or the third but i mostly want something to ride quick in downtown traffic back from work in...............

the 3 speed is hot. thats a schwinn racer right? looks like the 66 schwinn racer i got parked in my living room.

if I had to 'rescue' a bike it would be a Raleigh because one was stolen from me MANY years ago... but it was 'stolen' by some chick I got over into's dad AND I stole her siste'rs car and $1700 but, it wasn't really worth it after all, that bike was called the Batmobile.

But I think last night I found one to rescue... the plate is missing off the front of the gooseneck but, I mean... there's not really any gloss marks to indicate the insignia but I'm pretty sure...

Anyway, I think maybe it would do better in my yard covered in Jasmine than in a landfull... I'll get some pics tomorrow...

Not when I know... the bike I lost was probably from '64 or so, the bike I have is from no later than '75 I'd guess...

I loved their OLD stuff but, honestly, they lost me when they dropped the metal insignia and switched to the decal. I don't really remember when that was, mid-80's... I bet it's about the same time though.

a friend of mine has/had a late eighties raleigh technium road bike.

i dunno if she still has it being that she apparently valued it as nothing

more than transportation which is a terrible pity. when her parents gave

it to her as a going away present of sorts it was in very nice condition,

nothing beyond the wear of riding it. she however quickly cursed it with

bum bars and numerous scratches from careless lock ups and nights spent

in the saltiness of chicago winters chained to a street sign.

i suppose it really wasnt anything terribly special, though it was in nice shape.

i guess it was her lack of care for it that irked me more than anything.

long live epoxy.

the black sabbath. does anyone else name their bikes?

every little scratch in the paint is popping with rust but the

wheels and anything else that was chromed can be cleaned up.

schwinn quality chicago.

I didn't name that one the Batmobile but that's what it was named... I guess the other kids did. You should just clean the hell out of that chain and you'll be so stoked about how much easier it rides that you'll spiff up the rest of it!

I've been meaning to post here for a minute...I was a messenger in SF for eight years, and these are the two bikes I ended up keeping...

58 cm ctoc Albert Eisentraut fillet-brazed racing frame with rear monostay. It's one of twenty built and painted (orange and white) for the Oaktown racing team in the mid-80's.

Campy Veloce/Daytona 9sp Ergopower gruppo, 170mm crankset w/ 52/39 Salsa chainrings

Salsa cross interruptor levers

Campy Chorus 32h wheelset built on Velocity Deep-V rims w/Record 9-speed 12-26 cassette on Panaracer Pasela 28's

Salsa 80 mm 30 degree rise steel 1" quill stem, Salsa Bell Lap bars 44 cm

Brooks Swift ti rail saddle

I do some off-road on this, so it's set up for comfort no matter where I end up.

The off road rig-

58 cm early 80's Specialized Expedition touring frame, lugged, built by Miyata

Old XT canti brakes and short-cage rear derailleur, 175 mm XT cold-forged cranks w/36 t Salsa chainring, Suntour Bar-Con ratchet shifter, Dia-Compe 287 brake levers

Campy 36 h High-flange Record hubs on Campy hoops, w/ 14/28 5-speed Suntour Winner freewheel, on WTB Velociraptor 32/30 cross tires

Nitto Technomic 50 mm stem w/Nitto moustache bars

Brooks B-17 Standard saddle

This is FAST off-road, and totally stable. It's okay on paved surfaces, but i find myself wanting the road bike someties even though this is a much more comfortable setup. I have all the touring gear for it, as well...racks, panniers, fenders, lighting system, etc.

I also have a Sycip 17" dual slalom frame, and a 58 cm Specialized Sequoia road frame as backups. And, the usual box o' spare parts, of course.

I used to have a ton of other stuff, but I gave it away or sold it over time.

I haven't been riding much lately, but I'm planning on doing some bike camping later on this summer. There's a lot of good spots close by, no more than a day or so from my house.

Eight years on the road means I take it easy now...but, these are the bikes I plan to keep forever.