bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest 1151615

need advice

right now i have two thrift shop frames...i was planing on taking one of the frames and fixig it up real nice but i realized i dont know what im doing and cant find any info oline...im tryin to get some nice wheels,one front brake, and converting it to one speed......any advice....should i take it to a shop or can i do it myself

im hopefully going to be living in a city area next summer...im trying to explore it and maybe be a messenger...

Originally posted by MisPantalonesEstaEnfuega

http://www.plugintothefaithless.com/wrist.jpg'>

Anyone else know what's up?

i'm not sure if this is your pic or not but kudos to the yellow bracelet. i bought at least 20 of them.

cinnamon!! congrats on the sponsorship...

man i miss riding my bike. i havent ridden my fixed in about half a year now.

Wow... it's been a long time since I checked in here.

CTC... congratulations on your new sponsorship!! With such support, you should be hard to beat.

Good to see that everyone is enjoying the summer on their bikes... uh, minus the guys who have lost theirs to dicks. Sorry guys. All my best for a new whip or the return of your original.

My summer has been pretty filled, so this is going to be a long post... sorry.

My racing season has gone pretty well. I have no amazing results other than teamwork, but being the new guy on the team I expect nothing more. I have been able to ride for myself on a few occassions and the results were pretty decent. Almost all of which were top ten finishes. Best being third. So no complaints. I have a few more races this year that I really want to do and then I get to contemplate cross season. If funds allow, I'll pick up a bike and give it a go. Right now, I'm focusing on getting back into shape after three weeks off the bike for a vacation to Europe. During which I got to see the prologue of the Tour. It was amazing to see just how cyclists are treated in Europe... well, pro cyclists anyway. Pretty similar to how we treat our movie stars. The start of the Tour was in this little po-dunk town called Liege which is about an hour by train, south of Brussels, Belgium. I got there about six hours early thinking it would give me plenty of time to find a good spot and just chill out. Not so. The enire six kilometer course was packed. In some spots it was packed almost ten people deep. Others, even more. I was lucky enough to scoop up a spot right on the barriers about 300 yards from the start ramp. And if I could jump in the air and fly straight across for about 50 yards I would be at the finish line. So when riders were hammering it at the finish, the roar of the crowd over there was really loud. It was kinda cool. Most fans cheered their home country favorite. But everyone clapped for everyone. Then of course, there's the famous guys. For example... Axel Merckx. When he went, I couldn't see him go down the ramp because of where I was on the course. Right along a bend in the road. But when he went down that ramp... holy shit. The roar of the crowd was deafening. So loud! And it went like a wave up the course all the way for six kilometers. No bullshit. All the way. When he came to the finish like I thought I was at a rock concert. Amazing. Same with Ullrich and Armstrong. Zabel too. This one pack of women a few people behind us... one of the women in the pack started to cry after Zabel went by. Freaky how crazy they are for these guys.

Before the start of the race there is this "parade" of vehicles. Each of which are sponsors for the event. They drive by kinda slow and toss out cheap trinkets of theirs to promote themselves. I got a few things, but didn't really try too hard to get much. It was funny to see grown men fighting for cheap key chains and small bags of candy. Hilarious! Seeing The Devil was a highlight as well.

After the prologue I stayed in Europe for about a week or so. The coverage on tv was amazing. One French station had the pre-race show that was followed by the race that was followed by the post-race show that was followed by highlights. Seriously, the damn thing was on all day long. At least five stations had the race live on tv... no commercials. Beat that OLN. In Belgium, mainly the Flemmish part, they had this game show on that is centered around cycling. Each of the guests are pro cyclists except for two contestants. All the questions were cycling related. I couldn't understand the questions, obviously but I knew what they were about due to riders names being mentioned. It was weird to watch. Pubs everywhere you went had the race on tv. As an American cyclist who has to struggle a little to get some decent coverage... I was in heaven.

Here's a couple of photos from the prologue... The Devil and Oscar Sevilla.

This is a photo of me with an older couple who were incredibly sweet. They're from the Basque region and went bananas when anyone from Euskatel Euskadi rode by. They spoke perfect english, french, german, spanish and of course Basque. Just thought I'd share... and I guess now you can put a face with the name... well, till I delete the photo from my desktop. The Saeco cap was handed to me by one of the riders... I have no idea who he was.

joker you are one lucky bastard, you better do cross b/c cross nats are in portland again and i'll be going again, i want to see you racing at nationals

did two races this past weekend

sat. was a 35 mile crit cat. 1,2,3

road in the pack for most of the race tried for a few breaks but both were very short lived. I got a nice lead out by a teammate and finished up 10th

sun. was an 85 mile roadrace, cat. 1,2,3

the course was extremly fast. 14 mile loop, the first two laps we averaged 28 mph. i don't think ive ever ridden that fast before. the pase slowed a little. but in the end we averaged 26 mph for 84 miles. I pretty much hung in the pack all of the race. I just can't hang on the flats with those guys so i sucked wheels. in the end i finished up 21st out of 80 riders... i'll take it

Originally posted by Devilush

i'm not sure if this is your pic or not but kudos to the yellow bracelet. i bought at least 20 of them.

That would be my wrist...

I just ordered a ten pack of them due to all my friends asking where to get them. Bike store ran out so I'm distributing them amongst my social circle.

A good friend of mine has cancer and I've had a few people close to me die of cancer so I don't have a problem spending $11 on these bracelet even if I am eating ramen

Originally posted by cinnamon toast crunch804

sat. was a 35 mile crit cat. 1,2,3

road in the pack for most of the race tried for a few breaks but both were very short lived. I got a nice lead out by a teammate and finished up 10th

You told me you sucked at crits!! That's a great finish for someone who doesn't feel confident in criteriums. Nice finish in the road race as well. 21st out of 80 is good to me!

Cross season... I don't know. It will all boil down to if I can muster up a bike in time to do a little training in the mud. Because here, it gets muddy. But you already knew that...

Re: *believe*

Originally posted by WebsterUno

painting a bike with spray paint....good idea?

depends.

if you're painting a road bike...its alright. if its a mountain bike...its a really bad idea. spray paint isn't all that tough. the bike I painted looked awesome when I was done with it...but it didn't take much to scratch it up and make the paint chip. in hind sight...I'd wish I had just sent it out to have it painted. I wasted too much time to have it get that fucked up that early on.

Guest WebsterUno

*believe*

thanks steve.

i was reading something off a site..

hold up let me go find it...ok, found it.

2. If you do not have a compressor, it is possible to paint your bike adequately with spraypaint cans - you know, the same kind vandals use. Follow these steps exactly:

a. Remove all traces of the old paint. If you can't take it to an automotive body shop for sandblasting, use a cabinet scraper, followed by sandpaper.

b. Shoot a can full of primer at the bike. This is generally two and a half coats.

c. Shoot an under color. White or silver are recommended. Since all paints are a bit transparent, this will bring out the best of whatever color you put on top.

d. Shoot your color. Do not scrimp. Paint in good lighting. You wouldn't believe how easy it is to miss an area, coat after coat, because you couldn't see clearly, or were unaware of all sides, areas of the frame.

e. Shoot an overspray color, add pinstriping, decals, etc.

f. Shoot a coat of clear cover for added protection.

Hold the spraycan or gun about one foot from the bike. Too close and you cannot control the application - the paint may run or sag. Too far, and the paint may be dry by the time it hits the bike, resulting in a grainy finish, and weak paint. You may need to adjust closer or farther away, depending on the paint and equipment. Experimentation will tell. If you feel yourself rushing, you may be too close.

Paint all sides of each intersection and dropout first. Then, working one tube at a time, go all the way around each frame tube. Depending on what kind of paint you use, wait the recommended time between coats. Make sure not to mix brands or types of paint.

Paint only when the weather is right. If the temperature is too cold or hot, of if it is too wet or windy out, you may have an assortment of problems, such as insects getting stuck in the paint, or paint which refuses to harden.

Remember that the outcome will be much weaker than the original factory paint. They have some tricks up their sleeves that you don't - such as huge ovens with carefully controlled temperatures in which to bake their frames, and electrically charged painting booths. I hope your bike turns out artistically wonderful! - Jeff Napier -

would the clearcoat help it from chipping, or scratching?

Guest WebsterUno

damn. oh well.

ill take it to my

friend and see

if he can hook it up

at his body shop.

it would have been

cool to do it myself.

thanks man.

i just went to this rummage sale by work.

they had this vintage schwinn bike for ... ... $8!

I was like, hell yes.

So i get my friend anthony to check it out since i know shit about bikes.

He affirms its good to go and so i go up to pay.

the lady is then all "$8?? No, someone must have switched the prices, its supposed to be $30"

dissappointment of the day :(

she was probably lying.

eh $30 isn't that bad. I probably would have offered $20. I've got an extra old schwinn cruiser that I most likely will sell pretty soon. I'll probably keep the s.archer hub though.

edit...but yeah...that sucks when they do that shit.

I had a guy up the price of his bike after I talked to him at a garage sale. I bought the bike when he wasn't there and I told the wife we agreed on $10 or something cheap like that.

I know the price still wasn't all that bad...i think it was more of the fact of being excited about such a deal and then getting let down.

Plus my friend just told me about this warehouse where people donate their old bikes and and then the place sells em for pretty cheap.

i think i'm going to check that out instead.

those damn bracelets. that's all people come into my shop for. every time the phone rings it's, "do you have any of those lance bracelets?" i don't even let them finish anymore. i just say, "yup, but you better hurry." even though we got 10000 on tuesday. hahaha.

congrats, cinnamon.

my new lust:

http://www.kellybike.com/2nd_knobbyx1.html

i've been commuting to work everyday for a while now. i'm really getting into it. i think i'm going to start touring too. anybody have any experience with that?

thanks guys,

yeah, the bike actually showed up on ebay, and on my way into work this morning like 3 people called and told me. (good to have people that look after you) so i checked the web and the sellers info was actually the address of a pawn shop in my city. i went in took a brief look around, spotted it and walked out. i had the police report and serial# on me so i called them and (long story short, paperwork paperwork etc etc. ) got it back. they had a white LOOK (bernard Hinault) road bike that was in there that i know that was stolen but i couldn't rescue it because i didn't know the owner. sucks.

what's funny is the bike is cleaner and in better condition than when i lost it. they armor alled the tires and completely cleaned the wheelset and frame...they even cleaned the bar tape. so it was kinda like a detailing that took too long.

they actually showed me a picture of the dude who pawned it, (he's already got cases pending) and i got his name and address, but i prolly won't do anything until the case is finished, the last thing i need is an assault charge and the case to be dropped. fuck im. who knows though, if i see him on the street, it'll be hard to resist doing anything....sucker.

hope shit's going good !@#$%