bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

Edit: picture is too big, just click on the link: http://trackosaurusrex.com/pblog/images/March21st2010KKC.jpg

Just got back from this ride. Kind of a Portland Spring Classicy thing in a way... some rain, some climbing, some gravel roads filled with bumps and potholes, and of course all the fast guys don't run fenders so lots of water spray in your face as you huddle into the group and avoid the headwinds.

Rode some new roads I haven't been out to before. It's amazing how much good road riding there is just outside Portland; stuff I would have never known about if I didn't ride a bike or have family living out in some of these remote-ish areas above the city. Everyone stayed together until we hit the gravel, and then things got strung out and people started dropping off the back. The dedicated CX guys really shined through because they could take the gravel turns a lot more confidently then everyone else. Coincidentally, they were also some of the fastest guys. Anyways, the ride/race was going great and I was feeling good, but got dropped from a small lead pack of a select few cat 1/2 guys (after we dropped everyone else, of course) and then rode in no-man's land for awhile and missed a turn on the route. When I realized there was no one anywhere near me behind, I turned around, hit the intersection I missed, waited for some stragglers and rode with them to the finish (all the while doing my best to blow up their group a little bit on the climbs :D). All in all a fun ride; not quite all out racing, but not quite a Sunday spin.

Tomorrow: the Lawyer Ride...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

So I'm looking into getting a Surly Steamroller frame to build up. I want to use it mainly as a commuter/fun ride, but also for a little light trail riding (I ride single speed MTB). Now the frame would cost me about $340 (I work at a shop B) ), but aside from that I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with fixed/ss parts.

So here is my query- what are parts you would suggest to build this up (fairly) cheaply? Weight isn't really a concern, I mainly want cheap/durable stuff. My only specification is that I want a flip-flop rear hub (fixed for normal riding, SS for any trail riding).

What I'd need are- Wheelset, bottom bracket, headset, stem, and cranks. Everything else I could probably scrounge up fairly easily without much trouble.

So I'm looking into getting a Surly Steamroller frame to build up. I want to use it mainly as a commuter/fun ride, but also for a little light trail riding (I ride single speed MTB). Now the frame would cost me about $340 (I work at a shop B) ), but aside from that I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with fixed/ss parts.

So here is my query- what are parts you would suggest to build this up (fairly) cheaply? Weight isn't really a concern, I mainly want cheap/durable stuff. My only specification is that I want a flip-flop rear hub (fixed for normal riding, SS for any trail riding).

What I'd need are- Wheelset, bottom bracket, headset, stem, and cranks. Everything else I could probably scrounge up fairly easily without much trouble.

Wheelset - Formulas to Open Pros.

Stem - whatevers clever. If you're not racing, most threadless stems are for bling once you spend more dough... if you are racing, you get nice things like increased stiffness/lower weight with a higher dollar stem.

Cranks/BB - Kazane maybe. Or some SRAM Omniums if you want to spend a little more. I'm assuming your shop buys though QBP, in which case some Omniums at cost shouldn't be too hard to procure.

Just remember with some parts it's better to pay once and do it right. If you're only doing light trail riding, I don't think Open Pros will be a problem durability wise. Are you setting the bike up with cross tires?

Thanks for the advice guys... However, today when I went into work I remembered I was poor as fuck and right now need a shitty commuter to get to class. So I bought an old Fuji someone had just traded in... Today I took off the derailers and brakes, tomorrow I'm going to replace the brakes and bars and throw a freewheel on the back and make a singlespeed.