bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

the local trails are under construction because they decided to not postpone a race so there was a hundred plus mtb riders hauling ass on trails that were under 6 inches of water...

so basically i have knowhere to ride.

and ive been looking at trainers, just to keep me in shape until the trails reopen. sette makes one for 70 bucks. anybody use trainers?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
so i was thinking about getting some of those pedals that you slip your feet into, do they come in one universal size or specific sizes..?also can you recommend some cheap beginner style ones..

Did you mean the kind that you "click" into?

If so, there's no "universal", every brand of clipless pedal is slightly different, but there's two general categories - road and mountain bike. Road basically means bigger platform but harder to walk in the shoe, and usually a single sided pedal that you can only clip into one way. MTB basically means smaller platform but easier to walk, and the pedal can usually be clipped into from more than one direction, so easier to get into. Since you're a beginner you'll probably want some mountain bike style clipless pedals and soes. Google Time ATAC. For shoes, anything that fits you. Go to your local bike shop and try stuff on.

Yo for those who ride SPD-SLs... how much walking can the cleat tolerate? Do you use cleat covers regularly? And what tension do you like yours dialed in at? I put mine about midway on the dial and it's way harder to pull out than on my Time ATACs but that'll be a good thing on the track... and plenty of trackies like to have them dialed all the way and with jerry-rigged leather straps.

Had my first crash today.

Was going around 15-20mph around a sharp turn into a parking lot. I couldn't slow down/cut fast enough and I smashed into one of those tall ass curbs, flew off the handle bars, and landed decently on some grass.

That grass saved me, I would of been fucked without it.

Shredded tire and tube.

Walked it to bike shop (across the street) and had to buy new tube/tire and i needed a co2 adapter and a tire tool.

$75 later, I am ready for riding tommorrow and ready for any flats.

A link to a tire changing tutorial shall be appreciated.

And, when I ride it's either <2 miles or more than 18.

I'm not in that good of shape.

Anything you better riders recommend diet/exercise/pacing/stretching wise?

Rubbish...Tension on mine is pretty tight probably 80%, personal preference.

I use the yellow cleats with 6dg float. I found that waking isnt an issue. Some wear is visible, but havent had to replace them. So not bothering with covers. Wear on the shoe heel is worse.

a/s/l... diet, exercise, pacing and stretching wise I would just start off easy with it all and slowly work more time into your routine. Diet isn't a huge deal unless you plan on being serious about either racing or just riding a lot. If by exercise you mean other exercise beside cycling... there's not much else that will enhance your strength/endurance on the bike other than yoga. Yeah, yoga. Cycling is very core related if you think about it and yoga strengthens your core while also helping you stretch completely. Which leads to stretching... do it after every ride. You know, Lance and Chris Carmichael put out this book several years ago that helps a beginner rider get into racing. I forget what it's called but it's a great book for a newbie getting a bit serious about his riding. Talks about tactics, training regimine, stretching, diet and a ton of other things. Highly recommended. As for pacing... always start out your rides with a decent warm-up for at least twenty minutes. By this I mean a slow steady pace that doesn't raise your heart rate too much. After that slowly pick up the pace to a tempo that is a work-out but is easy to hold. The longer you can hold that tempo the better off you'll be weeks down the road. Each time you ride try to hold the tempo longer. No need to go any faster or anything... just try to hold it longer.

Really, there's a ton of info out there that can better help you than I can.

• Like 1

Thanks Joker.

Fuck I wish I was like a foot taller...My Dad is getting back into these serious rides (travels to Europe, Austria, etc) so he scooped up a new Ridley Noah.

Frame: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=BRAND_PRICING&BRAND.ID=454

And then he got basically the nicest shifters, seat, etc.

It ways like 13lbs, no joke.

All carbon fiber too.

Rubbish...Tension on mine is pretty tight probably 80%, personal preference.

I use the yellow cleats with 6dg float. I found that waking isnt an issue. Some wear is visible, but havent had to replace them. So not bothering with covers. Wear on the shoe heel is worse.

I'll agree with this. Walking isn't an issue at all for me. Wear on the cleats is minimal, but I suppose I don't do too much walking in them. I keep my tension, to give a percentage I'd say 50% but I ride a ton in high traffic areas and having to stop a lot I like to have them easy to clip out.

been using the same spd cleats for a year, I work in them every day. Expect the cleat bolts to wear down to the point that you need to use a gator bit to get them out if you need to switch (or just buy new shoes) the metal the cleats are made of is real hard and they function fine after serious wear

edit: Im not riding fixed on them so I can't speak for the retention/stopping power after a year when they act as your "brakes"

been using the same spd cleats for a year, I work in them every day. Expect the cleat bolts to wear down to the point that you need to use a gator bit to get them out if you need to switch (or just buy new shoes) the metal the cleats are made of is real hard and they function fine after serious wear

edit: Im not riding fixed on them so I can't speak for the retention/stopping power after a year when they act as your "brakes"

I'll probably just keep using Time ATACs or Toshi Doubles/MKS pedals for fixed. The SPDs will just be for racing track and road, and doing road rides on sunny days.

I got a Cycleops Jetfluid pro trainer recently. Its a lot more than $70 though. But its pretty awesome.

Being winter here I use it a fair bit, great for intervals.

do you have to have rear skewers to make it work? i had a bad experience with skewers and i find just keeping a wrench in my bag is easier so im probably the only rider who doesnt have a single skewer on his bike (not even the seat clamp)

if they do then im just going to rig up two wide cylinders and put both of them on a axel, run it through some bearing and make a chock for my front wheel and just use that. im running a single speed cyclocross setup so i wont be able to get any resistance through shifting and i havent come up with any other ideas yet.

The skewer is just something for the trainer to hold on to.

As long as the nuts on your bike fit properly into the trainer part you should be fine. Though you might be voiding the warranty on the bike and trainer.

Also most trainers come with a sturdy steel type skewer, so you can replace the light expensive one on your bike and dont wreck it.

You should be ok with singlespeed, but you dont have the ability to adjust resistance. You may need to change your gear ratio for a better feel.

Considered rollers?

Man, Cadel Evans is probably my least favorite pro.

Bradley Wiggins on the other hand, f-yeah! Dude is killing the mountains.

Lance's solo bridge to the break group today was fucking baller... dude passed Vandvelde like a rocket, said "catch my back wheel? nah fuck that!" on his way up. Watching these mountain stages makes me want to become a better climber.

The skewer is just something for the trainer to hold on to.

As long as the nuts on your bike fit properly into the trainer part you should be fine. Though you might be voiding the warranty on the bike and trainer.

Also most trainers come with a sturdy steel type skewer, so you can replace the light expensive one on your bike and dont wreck it.

You should be ok with singlespeed, but you dont have the ability to adjust resistance. You may need to change your gear ratio for a better feel.

Considered rollers?

whats the different between rollers and trainers? im thuroughly confused on that matter...

but good news, i may be able to get this guys triathalon bike for dirt dirt dirt cheap, maybe even free. ive odne work on his house and he did something to his back so he cant run and he only bought the bike for triathalons, he hates biking. but im going over ot his house to do some more work and HOPEFULLY come home on a tri bike....

boredom besets me like a pack of wild hounds on a bloody fox, so i gathered up some bike parts and made this monstrosity

bikin014.jpg

bikin015.jpg

huffy frame.... yes

mosh crank and pedals

crap road bike fork and neck

bmx cruiser handlebars

scraper rims made from aluminum flashing, about 6 bucks and 2 hours work

fun in the sun

• Like 1