The Nonsense thread

Overtime

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

If you listen close.  The new mercedes EV has an exhaust sound in the latest commercial.  What is Daimler-Chrysler thinking? 

I tried finding the commercial so I can post, but I am just left with tv for now. 

It's a huge debate here in Germany (where there's a set goal to completely do without nuclear and coal based energy pretty soon - which leaves you with wind, basically, as solar is not feasible where we are).

Long story short - yes, wind turbines are killing birds and bats, alas it really depends where you put them.

It's very much a problem close to large bodies of water, close to woods, and on steep rock slopes.

It's not much of a problem anywhere else it seems.

• Like 1

Painting them to be not white and adding localized noise seems to to make a difference in bird/bat deterrence. 

Humanity's ongoing existence results in unintential death, period.  Whether bugs on a windshield, birds in turbines,  bears as roadkill, whales choking on plastic, etc. We are bringers of death in every facet of modernity and development. 

The ability and intent to reduce that mindless murder is key for future generations to have a chance at interacting with nature at all like we can today. 

No politics...

• Like 1

I have been noticing 4 new car washes being built in our little town all within a 5 min drive of each other. I really couldn't understand why. Once the last one was completed housing developments around all of the carwashes started booming. I wonder if this is some weird human hack where developers know they will be able to sell their shit boxes better if people have some where to wash their car right around the corner.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mr.yuck said:

I have been noticing 4 new car washes being built in our little town all within a 5 min drive of each other. I really couldn't understand why. Once the last one was completed housing developments around all of the carwashes started booming. I wonder if this is some weird human hack where developers know they will be able to sell their shit boxes better if people have some where to wash their car right around the corner.

That does make sense as it's basic economics, but I think it's the other way around.  Car wash entrepreneurs seek future development and go from there.  

In relation, my sis and brother in law have a friend that owns a bunch of car wash stations, (not sure how many or if he is even nation wide) the guy makes bank so much so, he has a billion in his personally bank account.  The story with the guy is he realized a 600 dollar a week paycheck wasn't going to cut it, so he started a car wash station and snowballed from there. 

Edited by ndv
  • Like 1
  • Props 1

9 minutes ago, mr.yuck said:

@ndvThat order of operations makes a lot more sense. These developments have to be years in the making even if you and I don't know about it until the silt fence goes up.

A billion dollars? That's outrageous!

True.  This is part where influence comes in or more so the in genuine cases where the rich keep getting richer.  Specially if you have developers as neighbors or friends in high places.  You will have a heads up which areas are future developments and so for.  It's kinda like insider trading but not anything nefarious.   It's the same approach with convient stores.  

Yeah, it's kinda nuts.  Just before covid the guy buys a Lamborghini huracan.  First exotic for him.  He said it didn't feel sporty enough.  Trades in for a Ferrari.  Apparently the ferrari is sporty because he went back and picked up a second one. Lolz. 

Dudes pad circled in red.  Owns the home on the left too. 

Screenshot_20220529-205125_Maps.jpg

• Props 1

2 hours ago, ndv said:

That does make sense as it's basic economics, but I think it's the other way around.  Car wash entrepreneurs seek future development and go from there.  

In relation, my sis and brother in law have a friend that owns a bunch of car wash stations, (not sure how many or if he is even nation wide) the guy makes bank so much so, he has a billion in his personally bank account.  The story with the guy is he realized a 600 dollar a week paycheck wasn't going to cut it, so he started a car wash station and snowballed from there. 

Have you seen the billion? Or has he just told you about it?

edit. I see you have seen part of the billion since you showed us his house.