The Nonsense thread

Overtime

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
34 minutes ago, ndv said:

Why not a blue ring octopus?  

Saw a tourist on an east coast beach a few years back letting his little boy of about 5 years old go nuts in tidal pools around the rocks. I spoke to him quietly to let him know that there can be super-bad shit lurking in those pools like blueys and he might want to take some caution as to which pools his kid plays in. He gave me the whole "Yeah, I think I'll be fine, thanks mate...." . Just had to walk away and wih the little kid luck.

1 hour ago, Hua Guofang said:

Saw a tourist on an east coast beach a few years back letting his little boy of about 5 years old go nuts in tidal pools around the rocks. I spoke to him quietly to let him know that there can be super-bad shit lurking in those pools like blueys and he might want to take some caution as to which pools his kid plays in. He gave me the whole "Yeah, I think I'll be fine, thanks mate...." . Just had to walk away and wih the little kid luck.

We come across the nasty little fuckers a fair bit during crayfish season.. a lot of them are only the size of your fingernail so can fall in the bottom of the boat and go unnoticed easily 

• Props 1

@Hua Guofang- one if the things that erks me is when your trying to be kind or informative to someone but their ego is just too big for their or anyone else's well being.   

I would have probably said,  "ok douche!  When your son gets bit and dies, mmmm 🤔 pretty much 3mins later, and your crying like a little female dog.  Dont look at me for help".

@aimer-  that's gotta be one intense fishing adventure.  Welder gloves, check!

@SMdoubleXL -  do not do what I am about to say.  But you can pretty much pick them up for little as $20.00.  However these little guys do not last long in captivity.  Not too mention, its an octopus, they are escape artist,  special tanks for these guys.  Octopus are not for your average saltwater tank enthusiasts.  

As for the blue ring.  They are one of, if not the most poisonous thing on earth.  And to this day no antidote, last time I checked.  

But I am stupid.  I would love to have one.  One of the most beautiful animals IMO.  

• LOL! 1

Another incredibly poisonous thing in the ocean/reef hobby is palythoa.  They palytoxin and several reefers have gotten seriously fucked up from it.  I think it blows out your cell's ability regulate potassium transport in/out of the cell.... so your cells dump potassium and you get incredibly sick/die.  I think the toxic amount for a grown adult human is something like 1/100th of the weight of a grain of rice.  It's that poisonous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palytoxin

I'm pretty sure I have some palythoa in my 34G tank in the living room.

@ndv- do you have a reef tank?

Also cosign, people get into the reefing hobby and want to have all kinds of crazy shit like sea horses, octopuses, jelly fish, etc.  Well, the thing is.... many of these animals are INCREDIBLY finnicky and require very special habitats, care, and diets..... which is difficult for a "hobbyist" level aquarist to provide.  It's not to say it cannot be done, but "should" it be done is a better question.  As NDV mentioned, octopuses are notorious escape artists.  They also do not survive nearly as long in captivity, I think the average life span in a home aquarium is something like a year.  The reason is they're incredibly smart and become depressed when they know they're in "jail".

• Like 1

@Dirty_habiT - that's interesting!  

No, not right now,  have a few buddies that have had tanks for a long time now.  One of my buddies has a 200 gallon talk and uses it for reef to sale.  Last I heard he was trying to get a swimming pool converted into a reef project.   Not sure if he did it.  

Eventually i will invest in a nice size tank.  Waiting on a buddy who has a knack for salt water and everything he touches (really doesn't have to) flourishes.   So I am waiting on his water to be perfect before I start a reef.  

But, yeah, I will probably get small tank just for a blue ring from time to time.   But the last thing I wanna do is come home to a soppy wet floor because some octopus decided to throw a tantrum and blocked the sump pump.  

Gotta automate everything these days.   

I'll try to snap a few pics of my buddy's tank the next time I sm there. It's a beauty 😊

• Props 1

I wouldn't get an octopus. They will very likely escape. They can fit through anything their beak can fit through and as you may know their beak isn't big compared to their body. 

the pool idea sounds rad as fuck but I can see it being a colossal hassle to maintain unless it were an indoor pool. Even then the amount of lighting you'd have to buy would be pretty crazy. I think it can be done and you've given me an excellent idea for the future when I'm filthy rich. 

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

Octopi and other cephalopods have mad short lifespan in the wild like 2 years a few  years longer for the giant ones cause they are from colder waters with slightly slower metabolism. In captivity their lifespan can likely be a quarter of what it is in the wild. I’ve seen that some people in the UK have cuttlefish but those are live caught there. If  stores could sell these animals they would, but they need very high oxygen levels in their water and suffer a great deal in transit, arrive permanently stunted it’s not cost effective. The amount of dedication and ingenuity that goes into breeding these animals in captivity is incredible.

• Like 2
  • Props 1

6 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

the pool idea sounds rad as fuck but I can see it being a colossal hassle to maintain unless it were an indoor pool. Even then the amount of lighting you'd have to buy would be pretty crazy. I think it can be done and you've given me an excellent idea for the future when I'm filthy rich. 

Yeah, it is a huge undertaking with something that size.  Basically it was going to be for profit.  I'll have to reach out to him and see if he went thru.  Last I remember, his 200 gallon tank broke for the second time and flooded his garage while he was at work.   

7 hours ago, where said:

Octopi and other cephalopods have mad short lifespan in the wild like 2 years a few  years longer for the giant ones cause they are from colder waters with slightly slower metabolism. In captivity their lifespan can likely be a quarter of what it is in the wild. I’ve seen that some people in the UK have cuttlefish but those are live caught there. If  stores could sell these animals they would, but they need very high oxygen levels in their water and suffer a great deal in transit, arrive permanently stunted it’s not cost effective. The amount of dedication and ingenuity that goes into breeding these animals in captivity is incredible.

I've made friends with the aquarium shop owners in my area.  One guy and his dad import corals from Australia.  They don't mess with fish too much, just corals.  They told me that for every 1 sea horse you see in a pet store for sale, over a million died.  They die in transit, they die instantly when they're caught, they die easily in a new tank waiting to be bought.  It's crazy.  That's one animal I definitely will never purchase because I'm not going to help sustain that industry. 

I now try to only buy maricultured and aquacultured corals.... along with captive bred fish.  This presents somewhat of a limitation because there are a lot of things that people want in their aquariums that we have not yet figured out how to breed in captivity.  A few good things worth noting is that once captive breeding is possible it makes it very likely that the animal cannot go extinct in the wild because we could reintroduce them easily to the reefs should the corals all die in the ocean (which is a very real possibility).  One other benefit is that you end up with many different hybrids.  Think strains of weed..... but clownfish:

f11964d6ac46e833acfac70751983035.jpg

Almost none of those pictured above were ever seen in the wild like that.  They're results of selective breeding.  Another neat fact is that clownfish can live in captivity for over 20 years.  The ones I have definitely act like pets, they know when I'm close to the tank and they always think it's time to eat more food.

1 hour ago, ndv said:

Yeah, it is a huge undertaking with something that size.  Basically it was going to be for profit.  I'll have to reach out to him and see if he went thru.  Last I remember, his 200 gallon tank broke for the second time and flooded his garage while he was at work.   

Along with likely killing everything that was in it that was alive except a very few limited things.

It's common now if you have a pricey setup to have water leak detectors hooked up to reef controllers that have the ability to alert you as soon as something starts going bad.  You could at least leave work and go home to check out what was going on before it pumped all your water out, lowered the salinity, and flooded your shit with 100's of gallons of water.

The tank leaks I've seen documented online were a crack forming in the tank.... so it's not like the glass broke and just sent all the water out all over the floor at once.

1 hour ago, Dirty_habiT said:

It's common now if you have a pricey setup to have water leak detectors hooked up to reef controllers that have the ability to alert you as soon as something starts going bad.  You could at least leave work and go home to check out what was going on before it pumped all your water out, lowered the salinity, and flooded your shit with 100's of gallons of water.

The tank leaks I've seen documented online were a crack forming in the tank.... so it's not like the glass broke and just sent all the water out all over the floor at once.

I completely agree with you on this.   Although, from what I heard my buddy and his roommates talking about, the second leak was caused by improper sealing technique.   From what they described, there was fish flopping on the floor.  Bad Day, a lot of other stuff in the garage was ruined...  He was working on a project that involved feeding plants with saltwater ecosystem as the main ingredient so to speak.   

Crazy stuff without getting into too much detail.

• Like 1