The Nonsense thread

Overtime

How to Wreck a Nice Beach: The Vocoder from World War II to Hip-Hop, The Machine Speaks

BRET MCCABE

Technology can take unexpected turns on the path from an inventor's lab to the shelves of Best Buy. During World War II, presidents Roosevelt and Truman used a cutting-edge voice scrambler called the vocoder, dubbed SIGSALY by the US Signal Corps, to communicate furtively with the Allies about details for such operations as the Normandy invasion and the Hiroshima bombing. Two decades later, as President Kennedy used an encryption device for back-channel communications during the Cuban Missile Crisis, vocal scrambling began its second life in music as singers started distorting their voices. In Hamilton, Ohio, soul-funk musician Roger Troutman fabricated his own distortion device from freezer parts, while futuristic electronic-funk group the Jonzun Crew warned their fans, enigmatically, about the video game Pac-Man.

Detours such as these are brought to light by music journalist Dave Tompkins in his fascinating and entertaining debut, How to Wreck a Nice Beach. Ostensibly a history of the vocoder, the voice technology invented by Bell Labs researcher Homer Dudley in the late 1920s that evolved into SIGSALY, Tompkins's narrative alternates between secret military transmissions and musicians exploring vocal distortion. The juxtaposition is meant to suggest what covert communications and intergalactic funk might have in common.

Dudley's vocoder operated uniquely. It took an input (voice) and scrambled it in a predetermined manner; another, distant vocoder (like the one Churchill kept in the basement of a London department store) unscrambled that signal and rearranged it. It didn't always work: The book's title comes from a 1950s demonstration that mangled the phrase "how to recognize speech."

The effect of the distortion sounds like somebody singing underwater with a mouth full of marshmallows, and by the 1970s the vocoder had a number of music-minded imitators. Peter Frampton and Troutman played the "talk box," while Kraftwerk preferred a German-made Musicoder. Hip-hop producers learned about distorted vocals from acts like Troutman and the Jonzun Crew. In an interview with Tompkins, graffiti hip-hop artist Rammellzee calls the vocoder a "weapon": It translates words into a language that, to him, only a few understand.

While Tompkins doesn't linger on the parallels between his histories of military and hip-hop cryptography, the implication is ever present. He opens with a description of the SIGSALY setup, whose two turntables and a microphone resemble DJ gear. "Of the hip-hop civilians interviewed," Tompkins writes, "none were aware of the vocoder's service in any war, nor were they surprised by it."

The choice not to elaborate may leave some readers in the dark. Hip-hop fans recognize the political currency in the art form's history: It's a music born of repurposed sounds, ideas, and technology. By failing to fold the vocoder into that culture, Tompkins's comparisons between military intelligence and hip-hop remain a bit obscure.

His musical investigations aren't all hip-hop focused, though—Neil Young and Herbie Hancock make appearances. Overall, the author favors personal anecdote (from both musicians and himself) about an experience with a song or album over exhaustive explanations of meaning. It's a choice that, for the better, honors the vocoder with an air of mystery.

4834a01f34950639a1330b58901ee549.jpg

http://www.fileserve.com/file/wsSMTYf

http://fp.io/f7c856cm/

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

ascii poop

▄▓███▓▀ ▀▓███▓▄

▄▓▒▒▓▓▀ ▀▓▓▒▒▓▄

░▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▓▒▒▓▀ ▄▄▄▄ ░ ░ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▓▒▒▓▄▀▀▀▀▄▄░

▄▄▀▀ ░░▒▒▒░░▒▓▌ █▒▓▓▄ ░▒ ▒░ ▄▓▓▒█ ▐▓▒░░▒▒▒░░ ▀▀▄▄

░░▒▓▀▀▀▀▓▒░▒▓▄▄▄▀ ░▒▓▓▌ ▄▓▓▓▄▌ ▐▄▓▓▓▄ ▐▓▓▒░ ▀▄▄▄▓▒░▒▓▀▀▀▀▓▒░░

░░▒▓█▄▄▄ ▀▓▒░░░ ▄▓▒▓▓▌ ▄▄▄▄ ▀ ░▀▓▒▀▄▄▀▒▓▀ ▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▐▓▓▒▓▄ ░░░▒▓▀ ▄▄▄█▓▒░░

▒▓▀ ░▒▓▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀ █▓▓█▌ ▐▒▒░▀▄ ▐▒░▐▌░▒▌ ▄▀░▒▒▌ ▐█▓▓█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▄▓▒░ ▀▓▒

▀ ▄ ░░▒▄ ▀▀▓▀▀▀▀██▓▄▄█▓▓▌░▐▌ ▄▀░▄▀▀▄░▀▄ ▐▌░▐▓▓█▄▄▓██▀▀▀▀▓▀▀ ▄▒░░ ▄ ▀

░▄▀▀▀▄ ▀▒ ░▒▄ ▐▌░▄▄ ▀███▓▓▀ ▄▓▄▀░▄▀▌ ▐▀▄░▀▄▓▄ ▀▓▓███▀ ▄▄ ▐▌ ▄▒░ ▒▀ ▄▀▀▀▄░

▀ ▐▌ ▐▓▄ ░▒▄▄▀ ▐▌ ▀▄ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀░▄▀░ ░▀▄░▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▄▀ ▐▌ ▀▄▄▒░ ▄▓▌ ▐▌ ▀

▄▀░▄▀░ ▀▄ ░░░░▄▀ ░▀▄▄ ░▄▀▀▄▓▌ ▐▓▄▀▀▄░ ▄▄▀░ ▀▄░░░░ ▄▀ ░▀▄░▀▄

▄▒░▄▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▄▀░░▄▀ ▀▓ ▓▀ ▀▄░░▀▄ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▄░▒▄

█▓▓▀ ▐▓░▒▀ ▀▒░▓▌ ▀▓▓█

▀▓▌ ▀▓▌ - - ▐▓▀ ▐▓▀

▀ ▀ ▀ ▀

Supaidaaman

http://www.mediafire.com/?8jbelhtcc70d7

Rips of the series and the movie from Marvel's site, so you can play them offline and force the aspect ratio to the correct one (4:3 for the series, not sure if the movie off the top of my head).

If you haven't seen it, it's quite simple. Japanese Spiderman. With a racecar and a giant robot fighting aliens. Kinda between Kamen Rider and sentai. Generally credited with bringing Giant Robots to sentai-type shows.

Because of a miracle Marvel put the entire show up for free to stream from their website, but they just ripped the data from the R2 dvds without fixing the aspect ratio to 4:3.

Since The Mouse now owns Marvel there's no real certainty they'll be there forever, even though Disney has seemed to be pretty hands-off Marvel so far.

also this

Transception: Transformers Prime Inception Trailer Parody

KREAYSHAWNS MOM BEING FROM THE MOST AWESOME CHICK

SURF ROCK BAND, THE TRASHWOMAN. AND MY NOT KNOWING UNTIL RIGHT NAO. NONSENSE.[/color][/b]

trashwomen.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMavPBOkEmc&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL80F0D20327213343

She also runs a record label (but who doesn't these days?), and a hair salon/vintage clothing store.

I bought a pretty nice button up from her store when I was in Oakland earlier this year.

Nonsense anecdote!!!!

I just had a very strange dream that kind of has gotten stuck in my memory.

I'm in school at a co-ed dressing room that doesnt' exist and watch people get undressed to go into the showers. (also don't exist) As I watch other people get undressed I noticed all girls have penises, and all guys take showers with pants on. I never notice my own self really, I kinda just sit there. The girls seem almost to be flaunting their naked bodies, weird as fuck. >.>

Do girls really have penises that often?

powdered-toast-man_l.jpg

As I watch other people get undressed I noticed all girls have penises, and all guys take showers with pants on.

I consulted Freud and you subconsciously desire transvestites.

faig.jpg

I consulted Freud and you subconsciously desire transvestites.

faig.jpg

lulz

Dressing room dream posted by Charlotte Drunkinbene on Tue, 06 Dec 2011 11:04:08 EST ID:JCA+H1TF No.30475 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply Hide Thread

File: 1323187448648.jpg -(218369 B, 550x367) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.

I'm in school at a co-ed dressing room that doesnt' exist and watch people get undressed to go into the showers. (also don't exist) As I watch other people get undressed I noticed all girls have penises, and all guys take showers with pants on. I never notice my own self really, I kinda just sit there. The girls seem almost to be flaunting their naked bodies, weird as fuck. >.>

Do girls really have penises that often?

recurring dreams posted by Polly Pickshaw on Fri, 02 Dec 2011 18:40:16 EST ID:F9V6BEpH No.30419 Ignore Report Reply Quick Reply Hide Thread

File: 1322869216453.jpg -(30533 B, 283x375) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.

what are they and why have i had them for the past few months?

literally every dream i have has been a dream that i first dreamed years ago and even from my childhood.

>> George Brankinfield Sat, 03 Dec 2011 12:21:31 EST ID:F9V6BEpH No.30428 Ignore Report Quick Reply

bump

>> James Fondlestune Sat, 03 Dec 2011 18:47:41 EST ID:ltznn0m5 No.30433 Ignore Report Quick Reply

File: 1322956061679.jpg -(55024 B, 500x333) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.

I dream every night, and I've never had a recurring dream.

>> Priscilla Cucklechadge Sun, 04 Dec 2011 14:11:41 EST ID:Yym/K5Sq No.30448 Ignore Report Quick Reply

>>30433

wrong thread, you narcissistic faggot.

>> Whitey Marringdock Mon, 05 Dec 2011 21:09:11 EST ID:SzA9MQjz No.30471 Ignore Report Quick Reply

What's the dream?

>> Polly Gombleford Tue, 06 Dec 2011 03:33:34 EST ID:Yym/K5Sq No.30474 Ignore Report Quick Reply

>>30471

can't you fucking read?

Copy-Pasta.jpg

flow-my-tears-the-policeman-saidredux.jpg

http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/ridley-scott-ready-to-direct-new-version-of-seminal-sci-fi-film-blade-runner/

Radio Free Albemuth (film)

Radio Free Albemuth

Directed by John Alan Simon

Produced by John Alan Simon

Dale Rosenbloom

Stephen Nemeth

Written by John Alan Simon

Based on Radio Free Albemuth by

Philip K. Dick

Starring Alanis Morissette

Jonathan Scarfe

Release date(s) February 25, 2010 (Sedona)

Country United States

Language English

Radio Free Albemuth is an American film adaptation of the 1985 science fiction novel Radio Free Albemuth by author Philip K. Dick. The film is written, directed, and produced by John Alan Simon and stars Alanis Morissette in a lead role. Filming began in October 2007 in and around Los Angeles.

how the fuck is there not a single torrent or rar of this?

http://www.omg-facts.com/view/Facts/46224

You only have two fears when you are Born:

"When you are first born your only fears were of falling and of loud noises. They are built into your DNA and have been passed down from generation to generation as a survival mechanism

Their sole purpose is to keep you alive, and create emotion that will motivate you to avoid danger.

Every other fear you face you have learned throughout your life. "