The Nonsense thread

Overtime

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The owner of a historic cheesesteak shop in Philadelphia says he's changing its controversial name.

Chink's Steaks owner Joe Groh says he'll change the name to Joe's Steaks & Soda Shop on Monday. Civil rights groups have long protested the current name, citing its reference to a racial slur.

Groh tells The Associated Press it's time to "get with the times."

The shop opened in 1949 and was named for founder Sam "Chink" Sherman, who died in 1997. Groh says Sherman was like a father to him, and Sherman never thought of his nickname as a slur. He says neighborhood kids came up with the nickname.

Asian-American groups have long petitioned for a change, however, thousands of people signed a petition years ago in favor of keeping the original name.

one of the better voicemail transcripts i've gotten in awhile:

Call me. Yeah, cajun sailors. I. I'm in bought tomorrow, waiting eyes. Email Tuesday address and everything on my mom's address on here til one, but they're here until you arrive. Cheese. You know that you'll be by to pick them up today or whenever so. Give me a call (xx1) xx2-3xxx OR, and call me. Thank you. Have a nice day. What hello.

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The owner of a historic cheesesteak shop in Philadelphia says he's changing its controversial name.

Chink's Steaks owner Joe Groh says he'll change the name to Joe's Steaks & Soda Shop on Monday. Civil rights groups have long protested the current name, citing its reference to a racial slur.

The shop opened in 1949 and was named for founder Sam "Chink" Sherman, who died in 1997. Groh says Sherman was like a father to him, and Sherman never thought of his nickname as a slur. He says neighborhood kids came up with the nickname.

Asian-American groups have long petitioned for a change, however, thousands of people signed a petition years ago in favor of keeping the original name.

NOOOOOO!!! Someone in the philly thread turned me on to this place about 3 years ago. I've been there 6 times since, absolutely fantastic cheesesteak, probably the best I've ever had. It'll obviously still be delicious. The owner is the man too, the first time I went I pulled up two minutes after they closed and he was taking out the trash. Saw I had MD tags and invited me in, made me a sandwich and we shit talked each other's cities back and forth. Good times.

• Like 1

:confused: :confused: :confused:

http://articles.philly.com/2013-03-31/news/38147820_1_susannah-park-joe-groh-new-name

Reminds me of a year or so ago, they changed the spelling of a road from Pusey to Puzey to be sensitive to idiots. Stupid thing is, Pusey was the name of one of the first settlers on this land, how you going to just change someone's name a hundred years after they've died? Nonsense.