Wheatpasting 101

ODS-1

• 1 month later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a question- Making hand made posters and looking for the right ink. I need something permanent but not something I would fill a mop with. Basically something good that wont get crusty when dry on the paper like india ink but also def doesnt need to be as permanent as pilot ink or anythin like that. Need a refill ink, somethin I can get oz of and something cheap.

Any advice?

If you are making handmade posters, than you would be better off going with paint markers, something like decocolors, sharpie oil paint markers, or poster paint markers ..or even posca markers, montana hardcore, molotow, etc ...They have more chroma then ink because they are pigment based ( however, there are pigment based inks out there such as liquitex's pigment ink,etc).....After you make the poster, varnish or coat them with a work fixative ( so that paint settles in) and then put acrylic varnish on top......Those babies will last through any weather element after that......

I make posters using contact paper, because they are already prepared with an adhesive back, plus contact paper comes in huge ass rolls for cheap .. something like 12'' x 36' ....

However, you got to prep the substrate because its glossy as fuck, meaning its not porous, which does not make for a good adhesion for wet media..The ink or paint will slide right off ...so I coat that shit with Kilz primer ( kilz will cover a fucking greasy ass pork chop..that shit covers) ......

If you really just want ink, then go with liquitex's acrylic ink or krink ...or make your own......

I've been lurking on this site for quite some time, and this is the post that brings me out of the closet ..no homo ..lol

making big posters and wheatpasting is very, very , very easy ..seriously ..one of the easiest mediums there is .....

flour

water

sugar

and you can add xtra shit if you wish ...I usually add a dab of pva glue( elmers) to the mix ...

You cant fuck that up even if you tried ...seriously ...you're still going to get some type of adhesive out of it

( you can use any ratio or measurement when making this recipe, this overview is just an

example)

put on a pot of water ( say 1 - 2 pints ) ....let that shit boil

in a measuring cup or even a glass ( at least 16 ounces ...which is a pint) add the same

amount of water that you put into the pot into the glass or measuring cup.

Now get some flour ( preferably white flour) and do a 2:1 mix, which , in this case, since

we are dealing with 1 pint of water, which is 16 ounces, you will need to add 8 ounces of

flour to the glass of water or close to it .......

stir that shit up until is cloudy as fuck and clear of any chunks whatsoever ...basically homogenize that shit ...

Now bring the boil down to a slow simmer and slowly pour the mix of flour and water into

the pot.

Now stir that shit up until it gets nice and pasty...this might take some minutes, depending on how much viscose you want your paste to have .....I like my shit to be honey thick....at this point, you can roll with what you have, or you can add sugar or glue to it to give it extra

adhesive power

Once you get it the way you want it, put it in a portable container ...I use planter's peanut bottles or cans ...Them shits are portable and stay closed and you can throw that shit in your bag without worrying about it spilling or exploding everywhere ....

Now put that shit in the refrigerator and use it before the week is up, because it goes bad

real fast ......shit turns into mucus

• 2 weeks later...

tryna do my first lick thinking bout wheat pasting these up ...............

would this be coo? i mean the concept of wheat pasting i mean..

idealy id like to tile print this out n make it like 4'ft or so....im throwing these smaller 11x25's

to see how pasting feels.try n post pics when i do.just lookin for some feed back...ight one:confused:attachment.php?attachmentid=145153&stc=1&d=1284091704attachment.php?attachmentid=145156&stc=1&d=1284091787attachment.php?attachmentid=145154&stc=1&d=1284091734attachment.php?attachmentid=145154&stc=1&d=1284091734showthread.php?t=133012&page=107

IGHT MY FIRST ATTEMPT.....

DID IT THIS MORNING WENT TO GET COFEE AT 7-11

SEEMS COOL BUT ID LIKE TA DO BIG 4FT ONES....WITH A BUCKET N BROOM....THATS MY GOAL...

IGHT WELL ANY .....ADVISE CRITICISM OR INSIGHT WOULD BE APPRIECIATED :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

That recipie is dank as fuck! ive been using gluten free flower and i find it works if not just aswell better. im planning on making a gallon of wheat paste and adding in wall paper glue because i have a friend who knows a guy in nyc whos done it and said it was as if you were spreading heaven when posting because of how well it sticks and because of how smoothe it feels

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived