now this is excessive

Guest beardo

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest --zeSto--

a big 'What he fuck' to...

Tom Petty, "Free Fallin'"

Sugar Ray, "Fly"

Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

The Beatles, "Obla Di, Obla Da"

Cat Stevens, "Morning Has Broken"

and

Bob Dylan/Guns N Roses, "Knockin' on Heaven's Door"

--sure... ban GNR, but Dylan?

not banned...temporarily suspended from airplay for a brief amount of time. banned refers to indefinately suspending airplay. they will be played again eventually. i personally dont listen to the radio anymore, so it wont effect me. bummer if some of your favorite songs are on that list. i think its funny more than anything...i know i would never really listen to those songs and question the lyrics in regards to the tragedy.

what a fucking bunch of fucking crap. really. they were playing some metallica song (dont tread on me maybe) with sound clips of president george on the radio yersterday- I thought that was in poorer taste than any song they could play.

[This message has been edited by dBUSH (edited 09-20-2001).]

What I find interesting in all of this is the fact that this is coming from the owner of the stations. For years we seen them fighting and saying that music does not make people act in a way they would not already. For example a depressed teenager would not kill himself by listening to "extreme" music. By saying that we are not in an appropriate state of mind to hear these songs, isn't this another way of saying that Americans (as an entire country) are at risk of acting rashly as a result of the music's affect on us?

And I also think this is a further example of the media creating a increasingly hysterical atmosphere by promoting thoughts that most rational citizens would not have thought of themselves. Most of those songs have nothing to do with the current situation. And even if they did the entire human race has used music as a form of expression since the beginning of civilization. If I want to hear a song that echoes my feelings, be they anger, fear, confusion, or sorrow I should be able to.

While the songs were not officially banned the head office of what amounts to 10% of the nation's radio stations "recommended" that they not play them. That is like having your boss "recommend" that you get to work on time. It is not a choice it is a veiled threat.

Archived