Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Weapon X

What Book Are You Reading? Pt. 11

Originally posted by Weapon X

Classics are labeled as such for a reason. They have withstood the test of time, and are still loved by millions. There is nothing cliché about a lot of them, or they wouldn’t be so revered by professors and housewives alike. Ask some well read people in that department, and they’ll give you a good suggestion, I’m sure.

I understand what you're saying about challenging one's self to gain a lot from a book and all that. But, just because a college professor says a book is a classic, doesn't mean that I'm wrong for disliking it. Just because 99% of the world's population think a book is great, that doesn't make it a fact. I do agree with your other point(s) and will attempt to look into books which may be a struggle to get involved with.

turn of the screw by henry james for school,

dharma bums for pleasure.

just finished a book called the whiteboy shuffle by Paul Beatty, it was good.

intensity was the only koontz book ive read and i loved it.

dharma bums may be my fave, it may be jack at his best before he eventualy becomes the greek tragedy dying of alcoholism on his mothers couch.

ill never grasp the divergence.

but jaffey ryder is great, who is really gary snyder. he wrote a great book of poetry called turtle island.

Originally posted by mental invalid

dharma bums may be my fave, it may be jack at his best before he eventualy becomes the greek tragedy dying of alcoholism on his mothers couch.

yeah.

I just started the Tesseract...its good...but I'm not totally into it yet.

Less Than Zero may be next.

should finish Miles : the autobiography (miles davis) today and then tomorrow starting Visions of cody by kerouac... supposed to be in the same vein as On the road, which is highly recommended

Guest BROWNer

count of monte christo is an awesome book. i can't remember it worth squat,

but i flew through it too.

and crime and punishment failed to hold my attention, so i never finished it.

i'm gettin' all trendy for my next book...

either fast food nation or no logo..i've read a puny amount of the former, and

a tad more of the latter....not sure which one to pick yet..

Finishing up "Sacred Contracts" by Caroline Myss

Next I'd like to read "One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

anyone read this book yet?

woo these like barely visible characters are in the back round of every page its dope...nice job....anyways I’m reading utopia by Sir Tomas More...just finished the republic and irrational man one by Plato the other William Barrett.....:lick:

started hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy... bout 40 pages into it, not too impressed. but i was never much of a science fiction fan, so i might be missing a lot of the jokes.

and whoever wanted to know aobut some classics, i've read a grip.. lemme know what you're into, i might be able to drop something...

or you could check out some sites from publishers like penguin or bantom?

or google college english home pages

Just finished "The Silent Cry" by Kenzaburo Oe. I'm getting sick of this guy's endings. I fucking love his writing, but the endings always kill me, he's gotta wrap things up neatly and make sure everyone does the respectable thing in the end. ugh. no more for now.

next book for work:

Fundamentals of Insurance - Basic Qualification and Licensing Course (its in a 3-ring binder and it weighs more than my head)

next book for me:

"The Unvanquished" by William Faulker, unless I find somthing better and the bookstore this weekend.

hitchiker's guide ended up being pretty funny.. and that's not even counting the stuff u didn't get, cause im not a sci fi nerd

about 100 deep into journey to the center of the earth... at first, i felt alll the attempts to make the trip suspenseful (sp?) were pretty transparent and not convincing enough... now that the journey has begun, it's a bit more interesting.

the dialogue is a bit over the top, but it's a bit refreshing, i suppose.

i suppose, also, that the book doesn't seem as interesting now as it did when it came out, since the center of the earth isn't as interesting or mysterious

if you ever wanna geek out (geek NOT nerd), you should read The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. It's an extremely well written fantasy novel. It's on book 10 or some shit. And by fantasy, I do mean magic and swords and shit, but not your average bullshit fantasy ad&d garbage by far. Full of politics, intense fighting, wars, assassinations, all kinds of awesome shit. Highly recommended.

Originally posted by Seldoon

(geek NOT nerd)

Yes, man. One must understand the difference between a geek and a nerd, for they are worlds apart.

Originally posted by onesecondple

kickin it up there with a hard book like to kill a mockin bird? im playin, thats a really good book

im readin "shes come undone" by wally lamb

get to the fat lesbian sex scence yet? or the fact that she stalks Dante?

its a really good book.. but very much a "girl" book i found.. uhm if you like this one and you're in for a big read pick up wally lambs other book "i know this much is true" 900 fucking pages but def a good 'un

just finished "wuthering heights" by emily bronte.. iunno i felt like reading a "classic" lately

and for my english class we're reading "heart of darkness"

so far so good

recommended

The Beach by Alex Garland

Tesserect by Alex Garland

Fools Die by Mario Puzo

Filth by Irvine Welsh

White Oleander by Janet Finch

THE BEACH IS MY FAVORITE BOOK HANDS DOWN.. read it maybe 10 times in the last 3 years

Originally posted by sarahyoulose

Fools Die by Mario Puzo

I’ve read a number of Mario Puzo’s (actually, more like 5 or so, maybe) but I don’t recall Fools Die. Which one is that? The one about the US Presidency?

Originally posted by Weapon X

I’ve read a number of Mario Puzo’s (actually, more like 5 or so, maybe) but I don’t recall Fools Die. Which one is that? The one about the US Presidency?

if my memory serves me correct its one of the only mario puzo books that aren't "mob based" its about 4 people in Las Vegas and their individual stories of degenerate gambling....

the main character is a writer and then he becomes famous, "movie writer.."

i think this is it... its a good one tho

^^One of my favorites.

Just finished The Tesseract...I liked it a bunch. Good book.

I'm reading Jennifer Government...by Max Barry I think. So far so good.

LAST NIGHT A DJ SAVED MY LIFE

rereading this shit loving it, a must for any one and everyone into hip hop or house music or anyone just interested. this will probally bring me to reread GENERATION ECSTASY which despite its name is a damn good book about the development of the rave scene.

I Just finished reading FREE AGENTS: A HISTORY OF DC GRAFFITI. although i usually dont buy books or magazines on graffiti, this book is not only a good read with tons of nasty pics, the stories in here are fucking hilarious, fuck BOMB THE SHITSTEM, someone needs to make this book into a movie...mad comedy

anyone ever heard of a book called DARK? its about a dude from shaw in DC who kills someone in self defence and ends up going through hell, running from the cops and himself. i read it in jail when i was a kid in like a few days. its a quik read, but it is soooo good. but i can't remember the name of the author and couldn't find it on any website. holler at me if you know.

oh yeah... and "THE CAGED OWL"

by gregory orr, collection of poems and extreamly facinating. also read "THE DAMNATION OF THERON WARE" and hated it....THE WHORES CHILD is also a good read for me recently.

I just finished reading the entire Sandman graphic novel series. Some of the best writing I've ever read.

Read American Gods, also by Neil Gaiman, last week. It was really good, reminded me of earlier Steven King without the gore and a little less heavy with the description. But the flow of the story was very similiar, which for me was a good thing.

I'm still tearing through Simulacra and Simulation by Baudrillard after a month. It's good stuff but very heavily worded and philosophical. One page takes me so much longer to read than in any other book. And it's really hard to get motivated to read it when the latest X-Men comic is laying around.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this