What Book Are You Reading? Pt. 11

Weapon X

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jazz Anecdotes

short stories and interviews about all types of

subjects, some funny, some sad, all real gritty

from the golden area of jazz bands.

When I'm done with it I'm going to mail it to my Grandmother.

She'd get a way bigger kick out of it because

she knows all the names and the songs that they refer to.

I just finished Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palanhiuk. All I have to say is it is a litereary train wreck. It explores everything you hate are disgusted by with all the disgusting carnage of a train wreck and no matter how repulsed you get for some reason youjust can not turn away.

I am also almost done with Downsize This by Micheal Moore. I am taking a break from this book for a few days because it always pisses me off to learn just how much washington is pissing on us.

Just a question: where did this trendy book scene come from?

There must be at least 5 people on this thread already who are reading a Pahliniuk book. Reading is good and all, but are you all members of the same book club? Did Oprah recommend this to you? Perhaps it’s a vegan bboy art student thing?

I ain’t trying to come off hostile; maybe I’d like dude’s books. I’m just curious as to why this writer gets read so much by graffiti youngsters when there is quite literally a gigantic universe of literature out there.

I don’t know anyone in my circle of friends who reads this guy’s stuff. I’m sure I used to know people that did, but I stopped hanging around ‘trendsters’ a long time ago.

i am reading them just because his plot lines get so ungodly fucked up. I didn't know anyone else on here was even reading one of his books. To be honest I don't care. I'm being trendy by reading one of his books, OH SHIT!!!! I better take all his books i have and burn them in my backyard and listen to the most underground of underground music possible. I can listen to something that is so underground that the person that put it out doesn't even know they did it. Maybe then I can rid myself of my trendy reading habits and go back to being the cool anti trendy, trendy scenester bashing scenester that I always wished I could be.

Guest Dusty Lipschitz

yesterday finished "may god have mercy" (quick read, cross between mailer's "executioner song" and capote's "in cold blood", both of which i have read) by john tucker.

last night started "angels & demons" by dan brown.

mental: i started naked but couldnt get into it. maybe it was my frame of mind.

I wasn’t trying to come off hostile. I’m just saying that every time books are in discussion on 12oz, there are a ton of people who read this guy’s books. I’m asking if there is some sort of book club (literally of figuratively) that you guys are a part of.

There’s so many books out there, in so many languages, by so many people. I really find it odd that so many kids on 12oz read the same books. I’m curious as to why.

Perhaps I shouldn’t have mentioned ‘trendsters’. It’s just that I have a very good idea as to who, within the people I know, or used to socialize with from time to time, read this guy’s stuff.

Oh yeah, ‘underground music’. JayLib, or madlibs, or dibbsydoodle, or whoever really loves Dumas and Dostoevsky, eh? :rolleyes: when the fuck did this become about underground music?

I too just finished a book about meditation.

It's written by some crazy tibetan monk but

the 'praise' on the back cover was written by

Mr. Richard Gere. That made me laugh.

Just finished Narcissus and Goldmund yesterday. Thanks to Ube for listing it in one of the threads a long time ago. It was most excellent.

Now I'm reading some short 80-some page book on pi and debating on starting The Golden Mean by Mario Livio or Long Time Passing: Vietnam and the Haunted Generation (a huge book with short interviews from a bunch of people in all aspects of that time period... soldiers, protesters, etc...)

Just finished Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Shortly before that i read:

Glamorama by Brett Easton Ellis

Bright Lights, Big City by Jay McInerney

Choke by Chuck Palahniuk

about to start something else...who knows what, i have a list sitting in my room of a shit load of books that i need to get from the library.

weapon... well, these threads are suggesting books, and if 3 people suggest a book, people are likely to take interest... i guess

how many times has 'on the road' been suggested?

i pumped out kafka's metamorphisis the other day.. it was cool.. overrated, but cool. it's only like an hour read.

Just finished The Stone Angel - Margaret Laurence (for school...there could not possibly be a more depressing, boring book out there)

and Barney's Version - Mordecai Richler (for myself, Richler never wrote a bad page in his life)

any good suggestions for the next one?

Originally posted by Zack Morris

they twist around into something you don't expect and make you sto and just say "what the fuck just happened?"

I hear you. Ever read those formulaic books? I mean, I’m down for some bestsellers like Tom Clancy and Ken Follett, but what about John Grisham? I’ve read two books of his, and have watched three or four of his movies. Every single story line is exactly the same. And I swear, there’s people who just eat that shit up!

I’ve found that there is a lack of interest in the ‘classics’ on 12oz. Take MrChupaCabra’s booklist, for instance. Slaughterhouse V (which I read and disliked), Choke, all you need to add to that are Ishmael, Celestine Prophecy, and something by Ayn Rand (sp), and you have a typical 12ozer’s booklist for a couple of months. It’s all contemporary, and seemingly alternative. Now, nothing to do with the quality of the books, I’m just curious as to who recommends this stuff? I’m against book clubs in general. I like to maybe hear of something word of mouth from time to time, but nothing beats going to a library and just picking something that looks interesting out.

Square, I friggin’ hate Margaret Laurence books. I read a couple for high school, and I was bored to death.

I think there is a good reason why people suggest books. Like for instance Micheal Moore. I think he probably writes good books but I've never read them. I probably am already aware of 99% of the stuff he writes about so I feel no need to read the books. I did take a suggestion from 12oz, more specifically El Mammero, which is Godel Escher and Bach: an eternal golden braid.... because it piqued my curiosity. Usually though my interests are a little off the beaten alternative, underground path.

Weapon X: if you like those military spy fiction books you would probably like Robert Ludlum who is one of the originals. Let's see, Dale Brown, Herbert Crowder (I read Ambush at Osirak and was impressed by the amount of real information making the situations very plausible.) If you haven't read Richard Marcincko I think you should. His book "Red Cell" in particular. He commanded seal team 6 and wrote this while in the Ft. Leavenworth prison... So in other words very interesting reading of an inside view of not only special operations but also the politics that put it into play.

I noticed alot of people like Demons & Angels. Well if you like that kind of mystical conspiracy theory fiction I would suggest anything by Robert Anton Wilson and Umberto Eco. Though it is very hard reading it is well worth it.

Right now I'm reading alot of practical books like "All About Stocks" By Esme Faerber because I'm interested in investing. "C++, A Software Engineers Approach". Photoshop, Maya, and Lightwave books.

my non-fiction repetoire (sp?) is def. lacking.

i recently read "war is a force that gives us meaning"

it's kinda cool for the mere fact that the author has a lot of first hand accounts of why war is bad... but it's nothing groundbreaking.

also read "a short history of modern russia"

i read form about the late 1700s up to 1930 or so... i already forgot most of the stuff, so it seems kinda pointless in retrospect

i hate conspiracy books though

Originally posted by Vanity

my non-fiction repetoire (sp?) is def. lacking.

i recently read "war is a force that gives us meaning"

it's kinda cool for the mere fact that the author has a lot of first hand accounts of why war is bad... but it's nothing groundbreaking.

also read "a short history of modern russia"

i read form about the late 1700s up to 1930 or so... i already forgot most of the stuff, so it seems kinda pointless in retrospect

i hate conspiracy books though

It's never a waste. You would be surprised what comes back to you at an odd time. It all registers in the subconscious. Most meditation involves being in an inbetween state, theta, rather than conscious, beta, or unconscious, delta. Something like what a certain type of ninpo calls "the moonlit path". It's almost like the conscious mind having this awesome control of the subconscious mind, or something like that. But what on earth does this have to do with books?

Originally posted by villain

Weapon X: if you like those military spy fiction books you would probably like Robert Ludlum who is one of the originals. Let's see, Dale Brown, Herbert Crowder (I read Ambush at Osirak and was impressed by the amount of real information making the situations very plausible.) If you haven't read Richard Marcincko I think you should. His book "Red Cell" in particular. He commanded seal team 6 and wrote this while in the Ft. Leavenworth prison... So in other words very interesting reading of an inside view of not only special operations but also the politics that put it into play.

Yo, thanks a lot for that info. Have you heard of W.E.B. Griffin? My buddy was telling me that his military series are pretty good to get into. In a previous book thread, I was asking people about books like that. It’s funny how a couple of book threads later, I get a response.