12oz lecture series??? any hope of this?

casekonly

Check out the Resource Wars thread:

Since BROWNer showed such interest in the topic I decided to crank out the Resource Wars thread tonight. Thanks for the kick in the butt man. Here is the link .

Check it out people. This is important shit. Resource Wars 0wnz your sorry asses.

• 2 years later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can talk about (since I know you all love me so much)

-Industrial design:

--Painting your car, bike, etc (materials and tool price points, spray booth assembly, technique, avoiding orange peel, sanding, polishing, etc)

--Making your own bicycle (materials, tools and welder plant price points, drafting, welding technique, painting, assembly etc.)

--Making your own toys (materials, tools, drawing, drafting, scultpting, molding, casting, ...electrical?, etc.)

--Making your own furniture (wood furniture, plastic/composite furniture, electric furniture, hydraulic furniture, upholstering)

-Drafting:

--Drafting in 3D or 4D

--Basics of 3D illustration

-Graphic Design:

--Composition (it's bullshit really. I'm offering it only cus I paid loot to know that shit)

--Packaging materials (papers, dry rub, embossing, etc..)

--Programs

--Iono, but shit's mad loot.

--Painting your car, bike, etc (materials and tool price points, spray booth assembly, technique, avoiding orange peel, sanding, polishing, etc)

--Making your own furniture (wood furniture, plastic/composite furniture, electric furniture, hydraulic furniture, upholstering)

SOUP SPIT ON THESE!!!

I GOTTA MAKE A BIKE FOR BURNING MAN

well how old are you? im not being condescending either. it takes time. theres still a shit load more that i'd like to learn and accomplish. i really wish that i was surrounded by really cool people that could mentor but reality is a completly different story.

i saw that someone had bumped this. haven't thought about it in awhile.

get on it, people. teach us all something new.

dude I never saw it before, searching for a 2600 thread last night i saw this and started wondering why it died..

spectr can teach..

bike repair..

computer shit..

glass blowing, though it might be really fucking hard over the internet.

some legal things, I actually have quite a good knowledge of the law and the way things work inside it.

How to survive in jail/prison..

Hacking your ipod.. though you could always just do a google search.. might be easier for both of us..

a bunch of other random things i don't want to list right now..

well how old are you? im not being condescending either. it takes time. theres still a shit load more that i'd like to learn and accomplish. i really wish that i was surrounded by really cool people that could mentor but reality is a completly different story.

im 25.... i think sometimes my curiousity about everything makes it impossible to focus on one thing... i have no one around me to teach me shit either...

perfect age to start. id say once you find out what you are really into im sure you will know if its right for you or not. curiousity is good but seeing it through is better. ive seen things through and realised that it totally wasnt working out while still trying to figure out plan b. atleast i have that thing checked that off my list. a million more things to go i guess.

As for using car paint I'll start with the gist and if anyone's interested in detail on something I'll be happy to give it. It's been a while since I shopped around for any of this stuff, so I may have to phone a friend if anyone's interested.

-The paint: ppg paint's top notch. it's the brand of choice for every car company in the world. PPG offers color samples and codes for you to match and mix actual car company colors.

-The booth: the spray booth is key to keep dust and other shit from contaminating the paint job. The booth requires a vaccum to pick up overspray from the air so it doesnt land on your shit. If you can't access a body shop's spray booth, you can make your own and cut costs depending on how big the object you're painting is.

-The air compressor: choosing an air compressor takes a lot of market research. You need to find one powerful enough to use whatever gun or airbrush you want to use, and one that atomizes the air for better consistancy when you start spraying.

-The gun: guns can be expensive so once again do your research. If you're painting your bike, you don't need to get a bigass gun and can get away with some of the mini guns on the market which are sort of midway between a spray gun and an airbrush. When buying a gun, ones with all-metal parts are choice, companies will use plastic pins inside the gun which make the gun less consistant in mixing paint and air, causing splatter effects and orange peel. Cleaning the gun after every use with paint thinner is crutial too. You must dismantle the gun and clean it out asap.

-Technique: there's a few techniques to avoiding orange peel (texture like the peel of an orange, most cars on the road have it) and saving time, but if you spray too much at any stage of painting, you can always sand it down. Sanding just takes hours to touch up something you did in a couple minutes.

Dope. I'll use a simpler toy for directions how to make it.

kaws-blitz.jpg

First is the prelimary sketch design. Remember your design has to be mold-friendly. You don't want bits getting stuck in the the mold or your toy and your mold is fucked.

For the kaws toy the feet had to be glued on or put into socket. So he's got three molds, the body and the feet. The body is pretty self explanitory, one half of the mold is directly in front, the other in back, the seam running up the sides of the body and wings. The halves of the mold on the feet were probable on the left and right side, the seam running up the middle of the shoe.

After you've sketched out your design, you're gonna want to make a cad sketch of the left side, front, top and bottom of the toy. It's got to be exact so maybe cad program or illustrator would be easier for you. Then you're going to buy a block of renshape from your local plastics store (round here it's TAP Plastics) or if you don't have one where you live, buy it online. Might be cheaper that way anyway. Using a can of spray adhesive (i recommend super 77) glue your paper blueprints to the sides of your renshape. If you've got access to a verticle band-saw you're good to saw out the renshape around your design. If not your best best's to get a dremel and coarse sand paper. A word to the wise would be to start wearing that respirator and sand outside.

I'll interject here another tip. If you're going for symmetry, like kaws' toy, you can take that renshape and cut it in half using a band saw. With a black spraycan, paint the inside of one half of the renshape, then using super 77 glue it back together. That'll give you an exact black line of symmetry when you make your design.

This whole process of cutting and sanding is time consuming, and you may make mistakes, but once you get close enough to the shape you want, get out some super-fine sand paper and start getting it as smooth as possible.

Since i dont think you have access to a vaccum form machine, you can make a damn good mold using silicon resin and instacast....

I'm gettin sleepy here. I'll finish up tomorrow.

Archived