just when you thought it was safe...

seeking

"According to most spider experts, these claims are all false. Camel spiders (so named because, like camels, they can be found in sandy desert regions) grow to be moderately large (about a 5" leg span), but nowhere near as large as dinner plates; they can move very quickly in comparison to other arthropods (a top speed of maybe 10 MPH), but nothing close 25 MPH; they make no noise; and they capture prey without the use of either venom or anesthetic. Camel spiders rely on speed, stealth, and the (non-venomous) bite of powerful jaws to feed on small prey such as other arthropods (e.g., scorpions, crickets, pillbugs), lizards, and possibly mice or birds. They use only three pairs of legs in running; the frontmost pair (called pedipalpa) is held aloft and used in a similar manner to the antennae of insects. Camel spiders shun the sun and generally hide during the day, coming out at night to do their hunting."

exactly why i love snopes.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i saw some shit on discovery chanel about people travelling in the desert and someone had a horror story about some type of spider eating part of the guys face off because it couldnt get into his sleeping bag. who knows if shit is true but its still scary.

Guest KING BLING
Originally posted by JohnnyHorton

ignorance is bliss...

you should have read the rest of the article...

...exactly! If you look at the flick and concider the guy holding it, they aren't HUGE anyway, plus it's two of them, plus the picture is questionable. Beyond that read the rest of the fucking article...

Link from SNOPES SPIDER MYTHS

Camel spider" is a common name for solpugids, large non-spider arachnids found in desert regions. Solpugids have no venom, not even an anaesthetic, and are strictly predatory on smaller creatures.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

You guys should have seen the fucking monster I was sporting on my arm yesterday. A hairy-ass, tarantulaish bugger about 3 inches across that lived in a hole in the ground. I was drunk as fuck too, I just grabbed that shit with no regard to the possibility it could very well eat my face off. Then I threw it at my dad.

As for a camel spider, I wouldn't grab at it, but I would persuade it to run up onto my hand. My other hand would be firmly grasping an industrial grade flamethrower.

Archived