Night Terrors

Jackson

Originally posted by Milton

Edit: Mammero I have a question for you. Last night I was dreaming and I couldn't turn on the lights so I figured out I was dreaming, so I'm like shit, I'm pretty sure I'm dreaming so I tried to put my hand through the wall, and I hit it hard, and it just shook the wall a little and hurt. If I know I'm dreaming why cant I punch through the wall?

This is a fairly common dream, and it's because you don't realize that you are dreaming; that pseudo-sense of knowledge that you're asleep is false, and is confounded by things that would occur when you're awake.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

When you can control/manipulate your dreams that is called lucid dreaming, it is fairly easy to do once you realize that you are just dreaming it might take some practice because you need to be confident while in this state if you wish to have complete control over yourself and your surrounding environment-

Originally posted by eseLokE1uno

When you can control/manipulate your dreams that is called lucid dreaming, it is fairly easy to do once you realize that you are just dreaming it might take some practice because you need to be confident while in this state if you wish to have complete control over yourself and your surrounding environment-

I don't lucid dream.... messing with your dream states can have serious implications on your long term memory and restfulness. Lucid dreaming is becoming quite trendy though... so dream away!

Originally posted by Jackson

----------------------

Sleep Paralysis

____The characteristics of sleep paralysis are as follows:

* Inability to move or speak for 30 seconds - 3 minutes

* Speech is difficult or almost impossible

* Happens before falling asleep or just after waking up

* Can be hereditary

* Can be brought on by stress

____Sleep paralysis is the experience of waking up (usually form a dream) and feeling paralyzed, except for being able to breathe and move the eyes. Hypnogogic hallucinations and sleep paralysis may occur together. These conditions are common in people with narcolepsy but can also effect others, particularly people who are sleep-deprived. Although a pretty terrifying event, these events are not physically harmful. There are two major types of sleep paralysis: common (typical) also known as CSP and hallucinatory (hypnagogic) sleep paralysis known as HSP.

i get that every once and a while.

it makes me never want to sleep again.

Originally posted by Fugazi

I don't lucid dream.... messing with your dream states can have serious implications on your long term memory and restfulness. Lucid dreaming is becoming quite trendy though... so dream away!

Where did you get this info? To my knowledge long-term/short-term memory are both accessible through lucid dreaming so I dont see why they would suffer, I think that it would strengthen the mind not weaken it-

Originally posted by eseLokE1uno

Where did you get this info? To my knowledge long-term/short-term memory are both accessible through lucid dreaming so I dont see why they would suffer, I think that it would strengthen the mind not weaken it-

From the doctors that I work with and take classes from. Current research indicates that dreams are vital in memory formation and emotional expression. Dreams consist of largely subconscious experiences from the past "x" amount of time. When you work to control your dreams, I'm not even completely convinced your brain waves drop below theta (correct me if I'm wrong) and if you truly are creating a "conscious" experience I fail to see how this would aid in the storage and formation of memories.

I suffer from sleep paralysis fairly frequently. I've had one episode of HSP, and that pretty well sucked, not being able to breathe and all. Sometimes I'll wake up but feel like I'm hovering above my bed, or spinning freely while paralyzed. I do not enjoy such things.