I hate being a freelance artist

SIELOETTE

Can we say stress? Does anyone know what im talking about? Just when you get rolling on a project..the funds die..Or how about the serious flakes who have no idea what they want on a shirt..but somehow you have to make it..

Right now..im unemployed..hence the I was fired story a few weeks back..

and whats weird is..when I was working at a petty job..art projects were rolling in..i was so busy..i wouldnt eat all day..then pass out..i lived off espresso..

well now that im free..the projects almost dried..

and to knock it off..I just spent fifty hours on a project..I mean i had the pencil behind the ear..the light table..the power book with me everywhere..and the company bailed..these were good friends of mine..and they stiffed me..and I wasnt paid..

so what gives..whats the secret?

I have so many ideas for this great illustrated book right now..Im collecting images..but wheres the work? everyone seems to not know what they are doing..or cant muster proffesionalism with character at the same time..

does anyone know of any illustration or design work..that could have me working at home..and making reasonable money?

fill a sister in...

and to everyone..sorry to whine..im just about to burst into flames

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

oh yeah..and the rich guys..that want a nice logo...

then when you deliver the best thing youve seen in awhile..its symetrical..its perfect after computer work...they get their little homey to bust a wobbly nasty sharpie tag for the shirts..and pay him 500 bucks!

rich guys with no taste

Guest HESHIANDET

hang in there sis. there is alot to be said about sticking to your convictions, and operating on your plane of existence. good things come to those who wait...and work their asses off.

check out any art schools in your area. after attending 2 of them i know there is always some sort of bulletin board w/ freelance work to be had.

------------------

stonecutters#1

without doubt it CAN suck to the highest degree...ya do shit for people and do it quickly, and then spend the next 6 months trying to wrangle a $100 dollar cheque from the bastards...all the while eating pretzels to keep from starving...tried it for 8 months, wasn'nt sold on the idea so had to do the 9-5 again...at least now i can afford paint and pay the bills....

exactly smeoo..ive been pulling teeth..and for a point..was living off bulk oatmeal..but im lucky we have all kinds of wonderful stuff in the kitchen now a days..its just frustrating..because we all just want to make a living aaaaaannnnnd be happy at the same time..at what we consider we do best..and thats not retail for me..

and seeking..whats in it for me? (wink wink smile)

[This message has been edited by SIELOETTE (edited 09-14-2001).]

i'm with smeeo on this one. i tried it for a couple years, and it paid well (very well) while it lasted. but the breaks in between jobs kept getting wider and wider and i found myself back in the slums with my parents. then had to swallow my pride and get a 9-5 to get out (again).

thankfully, i have now moved to europe, the land of opportunity for the moment, while i get FREE training to get a good job for when i finally get home (i'm from australia). now i am making lots of money, and have a fat pad and big screen tv (my pride and joy). then on my time off i get to do what I want to do instead of trying to figure out what some fool in a suit wants (after the 15th time i have drafted EXACTLY what he has told me).

man, i hear you.......i recently did a graphic for a snowboard co., and along with payment, all i asked for was a sample of the board when it was completed....(mind you, i got way less money because i wanted a board too).......a little over a year later, no board. I did get paid, but what i really wanted was to see the final product.

you just cant trust businessmen.....only out for the bottom line. and they have not even the slightest idea of how much time and work it takes to produce something of quality. they think you can just whip something out in 5 minutes in photoshop. fools.

i'd take seekings advice and paint something just for fun...after all, thats why you paint in the first place (but it really does blow to get screwed)

Guest --zeSto--

I think I've got it made. http://www.12ozprophet.com/ubb//biggrin.gif'>

Staff position at a craft video editing house,

and acess to all the gear. It makes doing my own

work easy, and the company keeps a steady stream

of clients coming to me. They pay the company

but we're all in it together.

Hell, the boss put the place together so he

wouldn't have to work for assholes.

I'll stop with the boasting.

Working freelance is the norm in the film/television industry.

It's not quite the same as being an 'artist for hire'

but the pay can be incredible, and you get to

make quality work (sometimes).

I'd say the best comprimise is to sell your

services as a 'creative tech'. Then if 9-5 hits, it doesn't hurt so bad.

well well my dear. You know how I always want to help a friend in need...

just like seeking suggesting that you should do a canvas for his 'friend'... If you do the same for me, I'll pay you. Not much.. but something worth your while.

I still want to do that gallery shindig - I just need some help in organizing it. Perhaps you could sell some paintings.. who knows... Hit a girl up or something so we can talk things out.. I'm being serious ya know..

this is why they invented contracts. they arent as complex as you might think. you can work it into your contract that if they bail on the project they must compensate for the work you did. i have a simple freelance contract outline that i got in school. i'll scan it in and shoot it to whoever wants it.

[This message has been edited by beardo (edited 09-14-2001).]

I concur with Beardo. I spent a couple of years studying music business. In that time, the one thing that my mentor kept telling me over and over is always have some kind of a contract (a legally binding piece of paper). There are a lot of chumps out there that take advantage of free-lancers, and a contract is one of the best ways to prevent that.

------------------

Al

Stonecutters #1

does anyone know of any illustration or design work..that could have me working at home..and making reasonable money?

fill a sister in...

money up front sister and more for any other service you're providing. ie. added changes, (expediting)speeding up the job, the asshole tax?

i don't work freelance but my experience in retail has put that last one to use many of time.

you've got to be thorough and above all, professional.

there's a difference between giving someone a good price because you need the money or simply lacking experience and getting jerked.

yeah, this guy at my work asks me to design a tattoo for him. i did it for free, but then he's like: too much detail, i'm like: thats quality, if you didn't want that you can easily get what you're looking for off the wall in a tattoo shop. god, i spent hours drawing redrawing it perfecting every little detail just to find out he wants a generic tattoo like every one else. i know it doesn't compare to making a living off art, but damn, i'm a really busy fucker with no free time

naw bug..thats what its like..but all the time..everyone has different tastes so its weird..its hard also sometimes doing ugly stuff on purpose because thats what someone wants..

so Im working on some stuff..

but im trying to find some online data entry jobs..that are legit..

or anything comp related..no brainer shit from home..

so i can do that for easy money..then concentrate on projects.

anyone know of anything?

ive looked..but its hard to find ones that are real..

Guest K[O]MEGA

imuh freelance graphic designer..and at first i was doing wak jobs..anything i can get..i was going to businesses and askign if they needed design..

then one day..bia bia..

yeah. im all for a cantract, asking for half up front to at least cover your inconvienience, and definitely tell them theres a charghe for any unexpected work, but you will let them know before you do it.

------------------

"Rain, it's rain again, rain down on my parade, i'm wrong you're right it's not what you would do - walk one mile in these shoes..."

• 6 months later...
Guest --zeSto--
Originally posted by garcia_vega

work at a caricature booth at a mall!

I can see it now...

"What's with all the arrows on my face? What's that scribble say? Can you taggerize my name?"

freelance work is sucky for me yes indeed contacts are the way to go if your client doesnt liek em tell em to fuck off last time i had some guy come up to me askign 600 buck for a logo and im thinking thats not to bad at all but i had to de some research on him asked him what his company was all about at first he said it was his and his wife's thing then he was getting all shady and trying to act all professionsal like hes some top dog or some shit i get his business card. ill tell him we'll meet again. then i goto his company's website online then i was straight up WTF!!!! it was the chumpiest looking website maybe the kid that was made when everyone had 14k modems needless to say it was booty but my job was the logo not the website but i figured if i do a good job on the logo maybe i get a crack on his website design...mmmm maybe more money in my pocket..soooooooo then i started looking at simular sites for ideals for the logo then i put a keyword what his company is all about then i clicked on the first link on the search engine and....BAM!!! i found out this guy was perputating the funk he totally stole some wording from a very well designed site word for word!!!! i was most highly displeased and i wasnt up for any scams from the likes of people who steal content and play of being a big shot so i call him up and tell him to meet me at a place and then i played it cool liek i didnt even know but then i had some contacts and i told him he would have to sign it and all that.. then he got overly pissed off and walked off.. so fuck him.. i found out hes some 45 year old chump of a loser with a rich wife trying to play off the sucessfull business man.. fuck him and fuck his wife.. man freelance can be nothing but bullshit sometimes

Guest Ted Wakowski

Freelance art is a bitch.

I've seen your drawings on here and I'd personally recommend you try sending some appropriate samples to a few of the role playing game companies (like TSR). Independent comic book companies might also like to hire you if you can do sequential stuff.

Both might lead to more regular work, especially if you can ink and color your own work.

Archived