President Bush Makes WMD Jokes; Digging His Own Grave For 2004 Elections

TheoHuxtable

Bush's typical stupidity will be his downfall for the upcoming elections.

That, along with yesterday's nationally-broadcast testimonial against the Bush Administration by former White House counterterrorism chief Richard A. Clarke, will be a lot to help Kerry. Plus I doubt people who lost sons and daughters in Iraq are eager to vote for Bush either.

Makes me wonder if Kerry even needs to make ads to attack Bush. Bush has done enough to attack himself in the eye of the American People. While Bush is scrambling to attack Kerry this early in the race, it shows that they're scared and can see Kerry has a great chance to win...

Bush Jokes about WMD

Fri Mar 26, 4:51 PM ET

WASHINGTON - President Bush's humorous references to the hunt for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq have drawn criticism from Democrats as inappropriate for wartime. The White House and Republicans contend the president was just poking fun at himself.

"This is a very serious issue," Democratic National Committee Chairman Terry McAuliffe said Friday on "Good Morning America" on ABC. "We've lost hundreds of troops, as you know, over there. Let's not be laughing about not being able to find weapons of mass destruction."

Democratic candidate John Kerry's campaign said in a statement Thursday, "If George Bush thinks his deceptive rationale for going to war is a laughing matter, then he's even more out of touch than we thought."

Bush provided amusing descriptions of photographs Wednesday night during the annual dinner of the Radio and Television News Correspondents Association. Some showed the president in awkward poses as he looked behind furniture in the Oval Office. For those photos, Bush told the audience, "Those weapons of mass destruction have got to be somewhere ... nope, no weapons over there ... maybe under here?"

Laughter erupted from the crowd of journalists, politicians and their guests then and at other times during Bush's remarks. For years the dinner has featured political and topical humor, most of it playful if barbed at times.

"The Democrats will go after anything," Republican National Committee Chairman Ed Gillespie told ABC. "The fact is that this is the custom in these things. Presidents have made jokes about very serious matters at these dinners.You can hear the laughter, the people in the room obviously saw the humor in it at that moment, and to play it back now in a different context is unfair."

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., told reporters Thursday she has treated the subject with respect and doesn't find it funny.

"I had thought that that was a little casual about a serious subject, but now the president has made it open season," said Pelosi, who attended the dinner.

White House spokeswoman Claire Buchan said Thursday the president's comments were meant to be light.

"It's traditional at events like this dinner for the president to poke fun at himself," Buchan said.

Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld was asked Thursday about the appropriateness of Bush's comments and the audience's reaction. He said he was "not in a position to be judgmental about that" because he had not been present at the event.

Democratic presidential candidate Al Sharpton called the joke "one of the most despicable acts of a sitting president" when he spoke Thursday night during a Democratic National Committee reception.

"Well, that's not a joke to us, Mr. Bush. Five hundred soldiers lost their lives, looking for weapons that weren't there. Billions of taxpayer dollars were spent looking for weapons that weren't there," Sharpton said. "But guess what? You gonna look out that window in January and see a moving van to send you back to Texas."

McAuliffe said legitimate questions have been raised about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, a principal reason for going to war there. Nearly 600 U.S. soldiers have died since the war began in March 2003.

"They're not there. That is the issue. We should not take it to a new step to make fun of the situation," McAuliffe said.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest KING BLING

Though I agree having the media punch you in the throat does some damage, really what goes on now won't matter in a month when Kerry gets caught picking a wedgie...

Beyond that, reporting like this simply adds to peoples standing positions...

Liberal - What a horible insult to the integrity and lives being lost in Iraq, it is similar to eating a hamburger - meat is murder too.

Conservitive - Fucking liberal media always trying to rip a good ol' boy down. Tell the New Yawk Times to come on down to 'Bama - I got my weapon of mass destruction swinging low

Originally posted by KING BLING

Though I agree having the media punch you in the throat does some damage, really what goes on now won't matter in a month when Kerry gets caught picking a wedgie...

Beyond that, reporting like this simply adds to peoples standing positions...

Liberal - What a horible insult to the integrity and lives being lost in Iraq, it is similar to eating a hamburger - meat is murder too.

Conservitive - Fucking liberal media always trying to rip a good ol' boy down. Tell the New Yawk Times to come on down to 'Bama - I got my weapon of mass destruction swinging low

so true. shit like this probly won't sway voters. but hopefully the more he proves himself to be an asshole, it will inspire some non voters to speak up.

These are the actual remarks Bush made to the press pool on January 22, 2004:

Remarks by the President to the Press Pool

Nothin' Fancy Cafe

Roswell, New Mexico

11:25 A.M. MST

THE PRESIDENT: I need some ribs.

Q Mr. President, how are you?

THE PRESIDENT: I'm hungry and I'm going to order some ribs.

Q What would you like?

THE PRESIDENT: Whatever you think I'd like.

Q Sir, on homeland security, critics would say you simply haven't spent enough to keep the country secure.

THE PRESIDENT: My job is to secure the homeland and that's exactly what we're going to do. But I'm here to take somebody's order. That would be you, Stretch -- what would you like? Put some of your high-priced money right here to try to help the local economy. You get paid a lot of money, you ought to be buying some food here. It's part of how the economy grows. You've got plenty of money in your pocket, and when you spend it, it drives the economy forward. So what would you like to eat?

Q Right behind you, whatever you order.

THE PRESIDENT: I'm ordering ribs. David, do you need a rib?

Q But Mr. President --

THE PRESIDENT: Stretch, thank you, this is not a press conference. This is my chance to help this lady put some money in her pocket. Let me explain how the economy works. When you spend money to buy food it helps this lady's business. It makes it more likely somebody is going to find work. So instead of asking questions, answer mine: are you going to buy some food?

Q Yes.

THE PRESIDENT: Okay, good. What would you like?

Q Ribs.

THE PRESIDENT: Ribs? Good. Let's order up some ribs.

Q What do you think of the democratic field, sir?

THE PRESIDENT: See, his job is to ask questions, he thinks my job is to answer every question he asks. I'm here to help this restaurant by buying some food. Terry, would you like something?

Q An answer.

Q Can we buy some questions?

THE PRESIDENT: Obviously these people -- they make a lot of money and they're not going to spend much. I'm not saying they're overpaid, they're just not spending any money.

Q Do you think it's all going to come down to national security, sir, this election?

THE PRESIDENT: One of the things David does, he asks a lot of questions, and they're good, generally.

END 11:29 A.M. MST

What scares me most about this guy is seeing

how calm and collect he can be in certain cases

(ala the drunk wedding video seeking posted

a couple months back) and then how he's a

bumbling, choked-up, halfwit when 'addressing'

the people.

Fox News' spin on the whole thing was comedy...

have you ever seen a conservative and a liberal

debate over who has less of a sense of humor?

None the less, hats off to the heartland.. as long

as we're killing vaguely brown people he can

do no wrong.

"There's something I don't like about a band that always smiles"

But thanks to gov bush Twxas has no problem holding you for up to 72 hours before they need to bring you up on any specific charges, or cut you loose. Good stuff, they get 3 days to check on you and your shit, all based on a half witted idea of wrong doing.

Originally posted by villain

Not only that but it's lax laws for corporations make it a bastion of corporate corruption. This is no bullshit.

Are you sure about this? Texas's corporation laws are based off of the Model Business Corporation Act ... which also provide the basis for a great number of state's corporation laws. So I doubt Texas is much worse than tha majority of other states.

If you want corporate-friendly business laws, look to Delaware.

Archived