sundown, to sundown...and everything in between...

joe schmo

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by HELLxO

who cares if your flicks get 'stolen'?...i really dont get that...you post them for people to see...whether its on this post or another post....whats the difference?...if you dont want people looking at them..dont post them........theyre just snap shots of graffiti on trains for people to see..i bench..and as long as i have copies of the flicks...i could care less what other people do with them...i didnt paint or build the trains..i just took pictures of them..and im not trying to make money off the flicks..its for me and other people to look at...i dont really care if i go down in graffiti history as being the COOLest bencher with the COOLest flicks that noone else has or ever will...but..whatever...as long as your name doesnt get in the way..its no big deal..i just dont get it...carry on:scramble:

this dude speaks the truth. benching as a 'culture' baffles me. its like bragging that your part of the crowd who 'visits art galleries'. so theres a subculture of people painting, and you want exclusive props for taking photos of it their output? utterly inane in my opinion. seriously tagging your photos is megagay. anyone that sees any of me or my crews fr8s, feel free to steal the flicks from anyone and crop out the photoshop tag. please.

Originally posted by cheerleader

this dude speaks the truth. benching as a 'culture' baffles me. its like bragging that your part of the crowd who 'visits art galleries'. so theres a subculture of people painting, and you want exclusive props for taking photos of it their output? utterly inane in my opinion. seriously tagging your photos is megagay. anyone that sees any of me or my crews fr8s, feel free to steal the flicks from anyone and crop out the photoshop tag. please.

that dude wouldn't know the truth if it came sliding out of his ass...

anyone who steals my flicks and crops out the name is gonna get called out for being the net nerd pussy that they are...

if you wanna post good flicks, do the knowledge and put in the work to get good flick's...

could you come off anymore self-serving?

Your reasoning is what's inane...so you think any major motion-picture should just have no credits because it was the actors who really did everything which we watch, and the people who record it are simply trying to get play off others work?

What sums up this argument best, is that fact that the people who watermark their flicks are people like me who put time into it. THe people who bitch about it are usually people like you, who simply sit back and get a free show off of my dedication and leg work.

...tryin' to play like benchers are gallery veiwers, fuck off with that shit.

the whole art gallerie corralation is bullshit as well, you don't face tresspassing charges for going to art exhibits...a better parallel would be a war documentarion running his footage on one news station, and someone who works in a cubicle at another station running the same piece as theire own...I wouldn't even be benching if I wasn't in the trenches putting in work...fuck the haters...own your shit.......

yo im not trying to aggravate anoyone, i just gave my two cents. i too bench and have put TONS of flicks on here. i have also seen the photos stolen and posted by other people. i just don't care. its a hobby. i'm a name on a computer, no one knows me. i can't get 12oz fame for posting pics...nor do i want it. sorry to start the conversation. keep benching.

Originally posted by joe schmo

that dude wouldn't know the truth if it came sliding out of his ass...

anyone who steals my flicks and crops out the name is gonna get called out for being the net nerd pussy that they are...

if you wanna post good flicks, do the knowledge and put in the work to get good flick's...

okay...when i posted that comment..i wasnt trying to offend anyone or hurt anybodies feelings...i just dont understand it and i guess was hoping for a bit of insight to it all..and you kind of gave me some..i still dont really get it..and its not something id do personally or really give a shit about..but whatever...and should probably just drop it all right now to avoid some stupid net-debate....but..you had to go and get all hostile...which wasnt very nice:o ...the fact is..i do bench (on the sunny nice days that i cant afford to paint on)...i dont bench to show off to all the 12oz geeks...i bench cause i like to look at graffiti..graffiti in which i normally wouldnt be able to see [in person] unless i traveled across the continent...and i choose to share my snap shots with my friends(which im starting to think alot of you dont have) to show whats been in our area..not give a 'free show' to a legion of losers whos opinion i could care less about (which is ironic seeing how im replying to this in such great lengths)......but...as i said before..i didnt mean to hurt anyones feelings..i appreciate you posting..and enjoy seeing flicks..i just dont/didnt understand the point in getting upset about other people reposting your flicks for other people to see when thats what you initially posted them for..but..if youre benching soley to get 12oz clout and get 'dap' from kids you dont know or will never meet..or to get credit for being a SUPER COOL bencher...i ask you to not bother flicking or posting any of my trains that may ever roll your way..thanks

anyways...there was a handful of decent flicks..good looking out i guess:dazed:

thanx for the essay, but you neither offended me, or hurt my feelings...

like I said before if I wasn't in the trenches putting in work,(painting) I wouldnt be benching in the first place...

ontop of being active in other parts of the culture, I consider myself to be A ducumentarian of the culture, which I think anyone who paints should also be...

therefore I consider these photographs to be my work, just as much as any peice that I send out on a train car, or any song which I write, and record...just as I would not want my words, or art plagerized and claimed as someone elses, I would not want anyone else claiming my photography as theire own...

if anyone sees a flick that they would like to have a clean version of all they have to do is ask me and I will E-mail it to them, and a higher resolution copy at that...

none of us that stamp our flicks are doing it to try to be "the coolest benchers" just trying to protect our work from vultures...

hopefully this will give you a little insight into the way I think of this subject...If you still don't get it let me know what you write and I'll be sure to never flick your pieces...

Originally posted by fr8otech

could you come off anymore self-serving?

Your reasoning is what's inane...so you think any major motion-picture should just have no credits because it was the actors who really did everything which we watch, and the people who record it are simply trying to get play off others work?

What sums up this argument best, is that fact that the people who watermark their flicks are people like me who put time into it. THe people who bitch about it are usually people like you, who simply sit back and get a free show off of my dedication and leg work.

...tryin' to play like benchers are gallery veiwers, fuck off with that shit.

youre crazy man, you dont even know me....i ran a website for years before 12oz existed, and i still drop hundreds of flicks on here and elswhere every year. recently, dude to felony shit, ive had to hit the pause button, but in general i take and share flicks of everything.

in almost 8 years of posting flicks, ive never once considered them to be my 'property' once posted online. do i have gems that i want to be just mine? sure, of course....but i keep them framed or in exclusive albums. if i post it online, its fair game for anyone.

im not hating on benching (except for benchers who dont paint), im hating (yes, HATING) on people on feel that some saving a flick to their harddrive or reposting is some sort of 'theft'. copyright law, in regards to imagery, could only apply to the first instance of public display, unless you literally register your image with the copyright office. seeing as you dont, once you put your image into the public domain, it becomes just that: public, and subsequently loses all copyright protection.

that said, thats the legal half of it.....then theres the 'spirit' of the issue...were talking about graffiti, pictures of graffiti. the whole culture is premised on applying imagery to places without permission, or regard for the law.....and yet on the backend, you wanna all of a sudden apply some ad hoc rules and regulations to the culture? so, you can trespass on a fire escape, climb on a roof, and paint the side of someones home, but YO YO YO DONT STEAL MY DIGI FLICK OF IT!!! THATS FOUL!

makes no sense. just because i dont contribute to fr8 threads as much as others, doesnt mean i look at flicks without doing my share of benching. ive most likely posted more photos than you ever have, considering ive been doing it since 96.

so, bottomline, sure, keep 'watermarking' your prescious photos. your analogies to music or art dont apply for two reasons: legally, your wrong, you have not copyrighted your images (unlike a song), and if you havent registered a copyright, legally you lose all control and ownership rights once you put it into the public sphere. secondly, the more important reason, the whole attitude of 'its my photo, i want credit, wah wah wha" goes against the entire ethos of graffiti. if you want props earn it by painting. outside of the fr8 world, ive never witnessed such snivelling about photo rights...if you dont want people "jacking" it, dont share it, horde it in your bedroom. if you wanna share it, and play along with graff, then flick it for the love of it, and send it out there, let it be its own thing, fuck this watermark shit...you can make all the rationalizations you want, but we all know what it is: you are trying to cop rep off it. like 'ohh so and so has the illest flicks'. gay gay gay. just post photos and stop acting like benching is some hard work or sacrifice. if you really truly honestly think benching is some sort of 'risk', well then, i dont even know what to tell ya.

and yeah you know what i write....so i guess dont take flicks of my stuff then, i dont care. id rather some kid who doesnt need to attach his ego to my panel take flicks anyway.

props to all the kids who do it for the love, and dont snivel about photo credits.

i'm almost sorry i started this converstaion because everyday when i get home from work i come on here and check the posts. i live for it. i bench everyday on my lunch break, or cruise my city looking for flicks. bottom line...cheerleader said it best-i couldn't agree more. keep posting the flicks regardless of water marks! i like them either way.

youre crazy man, you dont even know me....i ran a website for years before 12oz existed, and i still drop hundreds of flicks on here and elswhere every year. recently, dude to felony shit, ive had to hit the pause button, but in general i take and share flicks of everything.

in almost 8 years of posting flicks, ive never once considered them to be my 'property' once posted online. do i have gems that i want to be just mine? sure, of course....but i keep them framed or in exclusive albums. if i post it online, its fair game for anyone.

im not hating on benching (except for benchers who dont paint), im hating (yes, HATING) on people on feel that some saving a flick to their harddrive or reposting is some sort of 'theft'. copyright law, in regards to imagery, could only apply to the first instance of public display, unless you literally register your image with the copyright office. seeing as you dont, once you put your image into the public domain, it becomes just that: public, and subsequently loses all copyright protection.

that said, thats the legal half of it.....then theres the 'spirit' of the issue...were talking about graffiti, pictures of graffiti. the whole culture is premised on applying imagery to places without permission, or regard for the law.....and yet on the backend, you wanna all of a sudden apply some ad hoc rules and regulations to the culture? so, you can trespass on a fire escape, climb on a roof, and paint the side of someones home, but YO YO YO DONT STEAL MY DIGI FLICK OF IT!!! THATS FOUL!

makes no sense. just because i dont contribute to fr8 threads as much as others, doesnt mean i look at flicks without doing my share of benching. ive most likely posted more photos than you ever have, considering ive been doing it since 96.

so, bottomline, sure, keep 'watermarking' your prescious photos. your analogies to music or art dont apply for two reasons: legally, your wrong, you have not copyrighted your images (unlike a song), and if you havent registered a copyright, legally you lose all control and ownership rights once you put it into the public sphere. secondly, the more important reason, the whole attitude of 'its my photo, i want credit, wah wah wha" goes against the entire ethos of graffiti. if you want props earn it by painting. outside of the fr8 world, ive never witnessed such snivelling about photo rights...if you dont want people "jacking" it, dont share it, horde it in your bedroom. if you wanna share it, and play along with graff, then flick it for the love of it, and send it out there, let it be its own thing, fuck this watermark shit...you can make all the rationalizations you want, but we all know what it is: you are trying to cop rep off it. like 'ohh so and so has the illest flicks'. gay gay gay. just post photos and stop acting like benching is some hard work or sacrifice. if you really truly honestly think benching is some sort of 'risk', well then, i dont even know what to tell ya.

and yeah you know what i write....so i guess dont take flicks of my stuff then, i dont care. id rather some kid who doesnt need to attach his ego to my panel take flicks anyway.

props to all the kids who do it for the love, and dont snivel about photo credits.