FUCK VIACOM

DETO

so i get up this morning turn on Comedy Central and it's not there, as well as MTV, MTV2, Nck East and West, VH1, and a couple other channels. So i follow the instructions on the TV and turn to channel 101 and it's Dish Network's CEO, explaining that Viacom decided to pull their programs from Dish.....:hatred: looks like deto's gong back to Direct TV...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I was watching DirecTv at work yesterday and noticed a warning scrolling across the bottom of the screen. It was saying that MTV, NICK, etc. etc. were in danger of being pulled from programming, and if you were a DirecTv suscriber to call the company and tell them that you don't want those channels pulled. So I don't think switching to the dish will be any better.

they pulled cbs as well... it just says to call to complain or something.

the dish network dude says that viacom didnt want to keep the same contract and is asking for 40% more for some channels for dish to play them. or some shit like that.

grrr:mad:

Originally posted by DETO

so i get up this morning turn on Comedy Central and it's not there, as well as MTV, MTV2, Nck East and West, VH1, and a couple other channels.

same shit happened to me this morning, i had heard a rumor about it but i blew it off.

lame.

<span style='color:pink'>EchoStar Communications dropped all Viacom-owned channels, including CBS O&Os in 16 major markets, from its Dish Network satellite service as of 12:01 a.m. today, leaving its 9 million subscribers without access to MTV, Nickelodeon, VH1, Comedy Central and other widely distributed channels.

One minute after midnight, Viacom-owned channels and CBS O&Os on the Dish Network service were replaced by a text title card (accompanied by a melodic solo acoustic guitar soundtrack) informing subscribers that the channels are dark because "Viacom has demanded rate increases which are unreasonable and would contribute to a higher monthly bill for you." The slate says EchoStar hopes to resolve the dispute quickly and directs subscribers to the Dish Network Web site for more information.

The move came after hours of last-minute negotiations between EchoStar and Viacom aimed at striking a new carriage agreement to avoid a blackout of popular channels. But the two sides have turned bitter adversaries in recent weeks, battling in court EchoStar's claims that Viacom is violating anti-trust laws by bundling its channel services and seeking what EchoStar has termed "excessive" rate hikes in a new deal.

The battling between EchoStar and Viacom marks the most high-profile distributor-programmer carriage flap since Time Warner Cable tangled with the Walt Disney Co. in mid-2000.

"Dish Network customers in the cities with CBS owned-and-operated stations are entitled to keep up with local news and events distributed over publicly owned airwaves, and Viacom is interfering with that right," said Charles Ergen, chairman and chief executive officer of EchoStar, in a statement issued after 9 p.m. PST Monday. "Dish Network will always have a place for CBS and we're willing to pay for retransmission rights, but Viacom is holding the public airwaves hostage, trying to extract concessions and higher rates on programming unrelated to CBS."

Ergen said Dish Network would give a $1 monthly credit to subscribers who lose Viacom's cable/satellite channels and another $1 credit to subscribers in CBS O&O markets (the UPN affiliates are subject to a different agreement), including New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Boston, Detroit and Denver.

A Viacom spokeswoman declined to comment on EchoStar's announcement.

The Monday deadline for a new agreement was set by a U.S. District Court Judge Claudia Wilken last month when she issued a 10-day extension on a temporary restraining order she granted EchoStar in January that prevented Viacom from pulling its CBS signals on the eve of the network's Feb. 1 Super Bowl telecast.

EchoStar filed an antitrust claim against Viacom following the Dec. 31 expiration of their most recent carriage agreements.

Asked about the state of negotiations during an appearance at the Bear Stearns Media, Entertainment & Information Conference in Florida on Monday, Viacom chairman and CEO Sumner Redstone said he couldn't' predict if and when a resolution would be found. However, he said the company will remain steadfast.

"Viacom will not and cannot give (EchoStar chairman) Charlie Ergen a better deal than (News Corp. chairman) Rupert Murdoch or (Comcast chairman) Brian Roberts," Redstone said. "But if Charlie Ergen wants to have a good deal, he can have it."

On Thursday, Ergen publicly blasted Viacom for "extortion" at the highest level," alleging that the entertainment giant was squeezing EchoStar for 40% hikes to unspecified license fees and insisting on carriage for at least 20 different networks. Viacom denied making any such demands.

A Viacom spokeswoman argued that while the monthly rates that EchoStar charges consumers have gone up as much as $3 recently, Viacom's requested increase totals no more than 6 cents per month. "Twenty-five percent of consumers are watching Viacom networks, but our fees are less than 5% of the average EchoStar customer bill," the spokeswoman added.

To warn viewers of a potential programming blackout, Viacom broadcast a crawl on its cable channels that read: "You may soon lose the following channels: BET, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, MTV, VH1, Nick at Nite and many more channels from Nickelodeon and MTV. Call and tell Dish Network that you want to keep the network channels that you paid for!"

In some markets, EchoStar responded by posting a black bar over a lower-third of the screen that obscured the crawl, which sources indicate could be a violation of the carriage agreement.

If the blackout period persists, that could leave viewers in the dark for marquee programming events including the eye network's coverage of the NCAA men's basketball tournament, which begins March 18.

That could damage EchoStar's reputation with consumers considerably, according to Glen Friedman, president of cable consultancy Ideas & Solutions. "Anytime a high-profile broadcast or network is removed, they will get hammered with phone calls, and it's not something customers will forget," he said.

Viacom will not emerge unscathed either. With a significant chunk of the number of viewers it assured advertisers unable to access certain programs, it could trigger make-good guarantees to compensate for the shortfalls.

Removing CBS and Viacom cable channels will also likely invite aggressive marketing from cable operators and EchoStar competitor DirecTV into markets where EchoStar is vulnerable.</span>

Originally posted by fatbastard

ive never understood how americans with cable (the majority) can spend so much time here, with a wonderland of entertainment in the next room..

i agree i have never had cable in my life................i have like ten channels...........i would never be on the somputer if i had all that ish

Guest me IS cool
Originally posted by big bruno

I was watching DirecTv at work yesterday and noticed a warning scrolling across the bottom of the screen. It was saying that MTV, NICK, etc. etc. were in danger of being pulled from programming, and if you were a DirecTv suscriber to call the company and tell them that you don't want those channels pulled. So I don't think switching to the dish will be any better.

I don't think Direct TV is involved. I used to see those scrolling text on comedy central but I remember clrearly seeing Dish Network named. But this was a couple days ago so you may be correct.

Archived