Data Recovery

Dick Quickwood

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Hey, just don't create any new files on your disk... all deleting stuff does is marks the beginning of the sector as empty, even though the information is still there.... which is way those military grade file wiping programs write and rewrite over the sectors to prevent data recovery.... as long as you don't "write" anything onto the sectors you should have a good chance of recovering the data. This is all the help I could possibly offer as I'm not so knowledgable on this subject.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Ooof, it's one thing to accidentally delete stuff, which is easily recoverable, but I believe that reformatting a hard drive is pretty serious stuff. I'm unsure if it's even possible to recover, and if it is, it'll probably take professional help. I'm not particularly sure about what reformatting physically does to data, but I'm sure it's substantially different from deleting.

My problem had been my entire directory structure going to shit. The data was intact, which is why it was relatively easy to recover. And even then, I had to send it out for recovery.

Originally posted by El Mamerro

I believe that reformatting a hard drive is pretty serious stuff. I'm unsure if it's even possible to recover, and if it is, it'll probably take professional help.

Not to be discouraging or anything, but this is exactly the same thing I was thinking. good luck man.

its possible.. get Easy Recovery Pro by OnTrack.. the NSA can recover data after it has been overwritten up to 32 (or was it 24?) times - the only way to really format your hard drive is to overwrite the entire drive with 1's and 0's.. 10 passes is enough for most people but the extra wary should aim for like 40

some of your files will not be recovered due to limitations in the software, if anything was really vital though lots of companies have data recovery services

Archived