Scremo...

When

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by non-hetero

alexisonfire,athornforeveryheart,silverstein,hopesfall,atreyu,Coheed & Cambria,

more emocore.

ok yeah, thats a good word for all those bands. I also lump PTW and Thursday etc into that category. I'm not a fan of any of those bands, but I saw Hopesfall at Macrock a few years ago and they were rockin'. then they switched some band members around and I don't know what happened...

So I breifly read through this thread and I have noticed something:

Not one "Scremo" band was mentioned.

"Scremo" is REAL emo. The bands mentioned, Thursday and Coheed and Cambria are not scremo.

Go listen to the following:

You and I

The Saddest Landscape

I Hate Myself

These are scremo bands, strictly because they are completely sincere about what they are playing and what they are put into it. I've seen You and I actually cry why playing.

I think a lot of the metalcore / grind kids might actually like You and I.

But whatever, Death Metal and Grind are the new black.

PIG DESTROYERRRRRRR

-MisI'MNOTANELITESTASSHOLEISWEARONER

Originally posted by MisPantalonesEstaEnfuega

So I breifly read through this thread and I have noticed something:

Not one "Scremo" band was mentioned.

"Scremo" is REAL emo. The bands mentioned, Thursday and Coheed and Cambria are not scremo.

Go listen to the following:

You and I

The Saddest Landscape

I Hate Myself

These are scremo bands, strictly because they are completely sincere about what they are playing and what they are put into it. I've seen You and I actually cry why playing.

I think a lot of the metalcore / grind kids might actually like You and I.

But whatever, Death Metal and Grind are the new black.

PIG DESTROYERRRRRRR

-MisI'MNOTANELITESTASSHOLEISWEARONER

word to You and I and I Hate myself. Saetia and such would go into that category too I'd say.

Hells YES to You and I. Those guys were so damn good. They actually played their last show in Geoff Rickley's (singer of thursday's) basement.

Good call on The Saddest Landscape too... theyre one of the few bands of that sort around Boston now. I'm also putting out a compilation with them, The Pine, and two other bands hopefully this summer.

I'm not sure how I feel about Saetia any more. They were good, but not as good as some people say... and they certainly didn't start anything, especially when you can hear a huge influence from Anasarca.

Level Plane during the mid to late 90's more or less chronicled the 'screamo' movement with releases by:

Neil Perry

Saetia

Usurp Synapse

Pg. 99

...and the Antipodes Compilation, which more or less sums everything up: Jerome's Dream, The Assistant, Hassan I Sabbah, Neil Perry, and Usurp Synapse.

As of recently though, some of Level Plane's releases have started to suck, and Level Plane is distributed by a major label. I also hear that he owes Kent from Ebullition money.

Originally posted by ElectricitySucks

you made a thread about hopesfall and how much you liked them a while back.

thats exactly what he's saying there.....

Harpo, I agree with what you said about Saeitia. I do really dig them, but a lot of people feel they're overrated.

Neil Perry's rad, I heard that double cd thing they just released...really cool.

I wasn't aware about all that Level Plane distributing through a major stuff...

Originally posted by ElectricitySucks

you made a thread about hopesfall and how much you liked them a while back.

yes, reread the sentence.

mispanta...

you should hit me up and send me some 'you and i' over aim, i'd like to check it out.

i really dont understand why you guys are getting so bent out of shape about the whole thing. music gets basterdized and people are stupid, it's life and it will never end. who cares?

Originally posted by iquit

i used to love that shit. heroin was a great band too. from LA maybe? i forget, it's been years since i was into it.

antioch arrow, heroin, and angel hair is what these poppy bands are immitating. they don't fit into stupid shit like thursday. none of antioch arrow, angel hair or heroin had whiny, poppy choruses. none of them appealed to hormone-ridden twelve year olds.

this screamo that people speak of today is totally different. that stuff in the early nineties way less contrived. the band that started it was moss icon, followed by groups like universal order of armageddon.

these new bands like thursday are trying to do some weezer/get up kids bullshit, but throw in some screams to show that they are down with noise bands too.

a big and popular band these days that are doing what antioch arrow, angel hair were doing would be the blood brothers, or the locust. the locust actually has members that were in the swing kids, struggle, and other san diego bands that were responsible for forming that sound.

heroin were from san diego, as was antioch arrow, rice, struggle, and swing kids, many others, but i don't recall at the moment. that shit was a decade ago, so i can't expect kids to know.

Yeah, man, it sucks with Level-Plane.

Saetia's best stuff was definately the Eronel 7''... and even parts of it are in question. The best songs they did were 'The Poet You Never Were" and "Postlapsaria"

The Neil Perry discography I really dig. I think they're underappreciated because they had stuff put out by the same label as bands like Saetia and Usurp Synapse, both of which were and are very good, but some of Neil Perry's stuff was unbelievable.

Another big 'screamo' label was Witching Hour (RIP). Chris put out nearly every band that had a direct influence on what kids are doing today: Saetia, Orchid, Jerome's Dream, Usurp Synapse, Volume 11...the list goes on. He did some slick packaging as well, none of that half-assed Alone Records crap.

Seeks, hit me up on the AIM and I swear I'll make it worthwhile.

Drip of a wish:

Justin Pearson is more or less the band whore: Some Girls, Swing Kids, Struggle, The Locust, Holy Molar (I think?)

Blood Brothers is definately making all of that stuff accessable, which sucks something fierce, but I like them.

Does anyone here have any Cap'n Jazz records?

Originally posted by Harpo Marx

Does anyone here have any Cap'n Jazz records?

wow

never thought I'd hear that name mentioined on here.

Analphabetapolothology is probably my favorite album I own...or have ever heard. That or Braid-Movie Music II

You into Joan of Arc? They're on tour now...but I can't catch em.

But yeah...Cap'n Jazz is tops.

I'm going to avoid hearing Joan of Arc because I don't want to tarnish my memory of Cap'n Jazz... seeing Tim Kinsella acting the way he does would totally bum me out.

Analphabetapolothology is also one of the best musical investments I've ever made, next to the Piebald Discography (and buying all of their records), and Diary by Sunny Day Real Estate.

The Sands've Turn'd Purple is one of the absolute greatest songs I've ever listened to.

You must be pretty psyched that Braid is touring the US again, hm?

Archived