McDonald's Menu to Get Rid of "Supersize"

TheoHuxtable

Go to Japan and ask for a large soda. It's the same size as our smalls.

Now all the fat slobs should get a hint.

--------------------------------

McDonald's Menu to Get Rid of Supersize

By DAVE CARPENTER, AP

CHICAGO (March 3) - Hold the fries - at least the super-sized version. In a sign of the times, McDonald's is getting rid of the extra-large portions that had become one of its signatures. The burger giant said it has begun phasing out Supersize fries and drinks in its more than 13,000 U.S. restaurants and will stop selling them altogether by year's end, except in promotions.

The company cited the need to trim a menu that has expanded in recent years and said eliminating super-sizing is only part of that effort.

''The driving force here was menu simplification,'' spokesman Walt Riker said after McDonald's disclosed the change in strategy in a brief statement late Tuesday. ''The fact of the matter is not very many Supersize fries are sold.''

But the downsizing of super-sizing comes with fast-food companies, especially industry behemoth McDonald's, under intense pressure to cater to Americans' growing preference for healthier food options.

The move is part of McDonald's ''Eat Smart, Be Active'' initiative, which it launched last year under first-year CEO Jim Cantalupo and U.S. operations chief Mike Roberts in an attempt to revive then-stagnant U.S. sales.

McDonald's added entree salads with great success last year and has been moving to provide more fruit, vegetable and yogurt options with its Happy Meals. But the Oak Brook, Ill.-based company remains a lightning rod for public criticism - and legal action - when it comes to obesity and other health worries.

Two lawsuits claiming McDonald's hid the health risks of eating Big Macs and Chicken McNuggets were thrown out in federal court in New York last year. An award-winning documentary called ''Super Size Me'' then reaped more unwanted publicity for McDonald's. The documentary, which chronicles the deterioration of filmmaker Morgan Spurlock's health during a monthlong experiment eating nothing but McDonald's food, won a directing prize at the Sundance Film Festival and is set for wide release this spring.

Riker said the phasing out of super-sizing has ''nothing to do with that (film) whatsoever.''

The company has called the documentary ''a super-sized distortion of the quality, choice and variety available at McDonald's.'' It says the film is not about McDonald's but about Spurlock's decision to act irresponsibly by eating 5,000 calories a day - ''a gimmick to make a film.''

Richard Adams, a former McDonald's franchising executive and now an independent consultant for franchisees, said health concerns no doubt factored into the decision. But he said the company has been promising to clear up some of the ''clutter'' on its menu since adding a slew of new products in the late 1990s when domestic sales were flat.

''Now that sales have improved, it's easier to pull things off the menu,'' said Adams, who operates Franchise Equity Group. ''When sales are declining, the corporation and the franchisees are terrified at the prospect of selling a few less 42-ounce drinks. When sales are on the upswing, it's easier to admit that you can't be everything to everybody.''

Supersize fries are a 7-ounce carton - the largest of five current sizes of McDonald's fries. McDonald's will still sell ''large'' fries, the 6-ounce size, Riker said. The company did not immediately disclose other details of the menu changes, which have been quietly under way since January.

Some customers had a mixed reaction to the news.

Jamie Cox, 19, dining at a McDonald's in downtown Chicago with his girlfriend Tuesday night, said he normally super-sizes his meal but usually throws out leftover fries. ''It's a waste,'' he acknowledged. ''Once they get cold, they're nasty. But we would die without the (Supersize) drink.''

Another Chicago patron who likes Supersize, 21-year-old Ward Stare, said he could do without the extra-large portions.

''When you think about it, there's not much of a difference between the large and Supersize,'' he said. ''You just pay more. ... I don't think I would miss it that much as long as you still get a good proportion of food.''

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

This is a very convenient decision for McDonald’s, they can appear to be concerned for the health of the people and increase profit margins. It's a fact that fries are the most profitable item on fast food menus. People will need to continue to feed their expanded bellies and appetites therefore ordering 2 small fries, as opposed to one super sized fry. I have a hunch they make more ching from 2 fries than one huge one. The damage is done, people will continue to eat too much food.

I'm full of cynicism and conspiracy theories.

Originally posted by Æ°

This is a very convenient decision for McDonald’s, they can appear to be concerned for the health of the people and increase profit margins. It's a fact that fries are the most profitable item on fast food menus. People will need to continue to feed their expanded bellies and appetites therefore ordering 2 small fries, as opposed to one super sized fry. I have a hunch they make more ching from 2 fries than one huge one. The damage is done, people will continue to eat too much food.

basically what i was going to say when i opened the thread..

Originally posted by Kettiecat

by KFC do you mean KITCHEN FRESH CHICKEN

seriously i understand why they would WANT to change their name but the fact that they actually did so amuses me

and exactly what is "kitchen fresh"

Hahaha....I know. They can change the name all they want, we still all know what it really is.....

that sucks.

i eat mcdonalds....sad to say but yes i love mcdonalds. esp their french fries. usually my sis and i would just order the super sized fries because it would be the perfect portion for us. but now we have to order a large fry? thats too small for the both of us.

Originally posted by Kettiecat

by KFC do you mean KITCHEN FRESH CHICKEN

seriously i understand why they would WANT to change their name but the fact that they actually did so amuses me

and exactly what is "kitchen fresh"

its called marketing and they didn't change their name. its another acronym for Kentucky Fried Chicken.

calling it kitchen fresh is an attempt by the ad agency to make you think that KFC is just as good as home cooked chicken. you know, the kind your grandma made. I find it far more amusing that their prior campaign tried to make it sound like it was good for you. this attempt at just calling it good homemade chicken is a far better marketing strategy.

Originally posted by Æ°

damn you beat me to it.............thats exactly what i was going to say

Originally posted by SteveAustin

its called marketing and they didn't change their name. its another acronym for Kentucky Fried Chicken.

calling it kitchen fresh is an attempt by the ad agency to make you think that KFC is just as good as home cooked chicken. you know, the kind your grandma made. I find it far more amusing that their prior campaign tried to make it sound like it was good for you. this attempt at just calling it good homemade chicken is a far better marketing strategy.

I could have sworn the orignal name was "kentucky fried chicken" then they reduced it to the acronym and now they are "reinventing" what the acronym stands for.

Of course its marketing, who wants their business 1. associated with Kentucky and 2. associated with "fried"

I give it 25 years and they'll pretend "kentucky fried chicken" never existed

Originally posted by effyoo

Here's what you do: get a sundae from McDonald's and a small fry. use the fries to eat the sundae. Sounds weird, but its good.

and on that note, its time for work.

oh totally. summer time we do this.

damn why cant there be a mcdonalds around here.

supersize is leading the fat ass crusade!

seriously.... it's like an extra 30 cents for an extra 300 calories.

I'm still waiting for McD's to introduce 'half size' or 'shared portions'.

still waiting.....

still.....

Originally posted by SteveAustin

I find it far more amusing that their prior campaign tried to make it sound like it was good for you.

http://www.kfc.com/about/pr/102803.htm

KFC Sets the Record Straight

Fried Chicken Can Be Part of a Healthy, Balanced Diet

(LOUISVILLE, KY - Oct. 28, 2003) - KFC Corporation announced today it is setting the record straight - fried chicken can, in fact, be part of a healthy diet.

To educate the public and make its point, KFC will begin airing a new national advertising campaign that lets consumers know the truth about the fat, carbohydrates and protein in its fried chicken. The ads compare KFC Original Recipe® Chicken Breasts against a Burger King Whopper®. KFC also is providing complete nutritional information about its products in all its restaurants nationwide and on its Web site.

"We want to set the record straight. Consumers should no longer feel guilty about eating fried chicken," said Scott Bergren, KFC's Executive Vice President, Marketing and Food Innovation. "Consumers will be surprised to learn they can enjoy fried chicken as part of a healthy, balanced diet. Of course, they should eat all food in moderation, and balance that with an appropriate amount of exercise - it's all about energy in, energy out."

Numbers Matter

When it comes to a healthy diet, numbers matter. A KFC Original Recipe Chicken Breast has less than half the fat and less calories than a Burger King Whopper. A KFC Original Recipe Chicken Breast has 19 grams of fat and 380 calories; compared to a Burger King Whopper with 43 grams of fat and 710 calories.

"Until now, most people probably didn't realize they can enjoy an entire freshly prepared meal at KFC (Original Recipe Chicken Breast, mashed potatoes and gravy and corn on the cob) for less fat and calories than a Burger King Whopper. With more and more Americans on diets and increasingly health-conscious, we thought it was important to get this information to consumers so they can judge for themselves how to make KFC part of their healthy lifestyle," Bergren said.

Go 'Skinless' For Even Less Fat

By removing the skin and breading from a KFC Original Recipe Chicken Breast, the fat content is reduced to only three grams, with only 95 milligrams of cholesterol, zero grams of trans fatty acids and 140 calories. When customers go 'skinless' and add two lower fat sides - such as mashed potatoes and gravy or baked beans - they can enjoy a number of freshly prepared meals for 10 grams of fat or less.

KFC What's Cookin'

This week, KFC will unveil the company's new tagline, "You've Gotta KFC What's Cookin'" in two new television commercials. The spots are the first produced by new advertising agency Foote Cone & Belding in Chicago.

One commercial depicts two twenty-something men rediscovering KFC. The second shows a husband "appeasing" his wife by eating fried chicken. Both commercials reveal "the secret's out at KFC" and communicate fresh ideas to eating better.

"These new spots tell it like it is and compare us directly to the competition," Bergren said. "The new approaches embody our brand essence and the executions celebrate the freshness of our world famous chicken."

Balance, Calculate and Get Moving

At all KFC restaurants, customers can pick up a free copy of the "Keep It Balanced" nutritional brochures that are featured alongside in-store posters and online at kfc.com.

The "Keep It Balanced" materials encourage consumers to eat in moderation and balance their diet with appropriate exercise, as well as to provide helpful tips on exercise techniques. For an easy way to "count calories" - KFC has introduced an online nutrition calculator, available at kfc.com. The calculator tracks and customizes nutrition breakdowns for any possible KFC meal combination. It will also be updated to reflect new menu options once available nationwide.

KFC is in the process of becoming an official partner of America on the Move, a national program recently launched to motivate millions to be more active and eat less. Its goal is to inspire people to walk an additional 2,000 steps a day (approximately one mile) and cut 100 calories out of their daily diet. To be a part of the America on the Move Program, visit americaonthemove.org.

Fresh New Items Coming Soon

KFC also will be exploring fresh new ways to eat better including an Oven Roasted entree and other options. The Oven Roasted entree features 100% premium boneless chicken filet strips, seasoned with the Colonel's blend of herbs and spices and served on a bed of long grain rice with fresh chilled vegetables marinated in a tangy vinaigrette and a freshly baked roll.

KFC Background

KFC Corporation, based in Louisville, Ky., is the world's most popular chicken restaurant chain specializing in Original Recipe, Extra Crispy™, Colonel's Crispy Strips and Honey BBQ Wings® with home-style sides and freshly made chicken sandwiches. Since its founding by Colonel Harland Sanders in 1952, KFC has been serving customers delicious, already-prepared complete family meals at affordable prices. There are over 11,000 KFC outlets in more than 80 countries and territories around the world serving some eight million customers each day. KFC Corporation is a subsidiary of Yum! Brands, Inc., Louisville, Ky. (NYSE: YUM.)

Originally posted by BADMUTHAFUKA

THis is all due to that fat- ass that sued Mc D's. He claimed that he had no prior knowledge that the food was not healthy. From the looks of it,he won.

hahaha......I remember when some stupid lady got millions of dollars because she burnt her tongue while sipping a fuckin' cup of coffee....some white-trash heffer with "Super-sized thighs"....

Archived