TEAM(science) NERD: faster than the speed of light by JOAO MAGUEIJO

Guest im not witty

Guest im not witty

"Among physicists, it is widely assumed that one's greatest chance for a breakthrough discovery will come before one reaches the age of 30. True or not, this idea leads young physicists such as João Magueijo to pull out all the intellectual stops in the search for glory and immortality.

In Faster Than the Speed of Light, Magueijo reveals the short, brilliant history of his possibly groundbreaking speculation--VSL, or Variable Light Speed. This notion--that the speed of light changed as the universe expanded after the Big Bang--contradicts no less prominent a figure than Albert Einstein. Because of this, Magueijo has suffered more than a few slings and arrows from hidebound, jealous, or perplexed colleagues. But the young scientist persisted, found a few important allies, and finally managed to shake up the establishment enough to get the attention he merited and craved.

Magueijo begins the book with a suitably accessible explanation of special and general relativity, then moves on to the ideas that laid the groundwork for VSL. In the process, he rips the doors off of scientific academia and airs quite a bit of dirty laundry. Comparing himself to Einstein throughout the book, Magueijo approaches his topic and its dissemination with cocksure genius, expecting readers to sympathize with him as he battles to win favor. And we do. The scientific process is "rigorous, competitive, emotional, and argumentative," writes Magueijo. His theory could knock down two solid pillars of cosmology--inflation and relativity. Not only does his radical notion deserve a trial by fire, it also deserves a champion like Magueijo, who isn't afraid of the flames". --Therese Littleton

I'm about 100 pages in. wacky shit!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

young scientists are always egotistical.

it helps.

there's a lot of politics in this game.

and everyone wants to be the next big thing.

i've heard enough 'breakthrough theories' that turned out to be wrong

so i'm not crazy about reading a bunch of comparisons of the guy to einstein.

haha.

einstein, btw was recently proven right (again) on the 'dark energy' theory.

while many great advances are made by young scientists, there's a lot of old dudes out there, rockin it till the wheels fall off.

........A landmark discovery of the 1990s was that the expansion of the Universe is accelerating. The source of this mysterious force opposing gravity we call "dark energy."

Because he originally thought the Universe was static, Einstein conjectured that even the emptiest possible space, devoid of matter and radiation, might still have a dark energy, which he called a "Cosmological Constant." When Edwin Hubble discovered the expansion of the Universe, Einstein rejected his own idea, calling it his greatest blunder.

As Richard Feynman and others developed the quantum theory of matter, they realized that "empty space" was full of temporary ("virtual") particles continually forming and destroying themselves. Physicists began to suspect that indeed the vacuum ought to have a dark form of energy, but they could not predict its magnitude.

Through recent measurements of the expansion of the Universe, astronomers have discovered that Einstein's "blunder" was not a blunder: some form of dark energy does indeed appear to dominate the total mass-energy content of the Universe, and its weird repulsive gravity is pulling the Universe apart. We still do not know whether or how the highly accelerated expansion in the early Universe (inflation) and the current accelerated expansion (due to dark energy) are related.

A Beyond Einstein mission will measure the expansion accurately enough to learn whether this energy is a constant property of empty space (as Einstein conjectured), or whether it shows signs of the richer structure that is possible in modern unified theories of the forces of nature.

http://universe.gsfc.nasa.gov/science/darkenergy.html

isaac newton also kept churning it out, well into old age

(1642-1727)

_SIR ISAAC NEWTON _•_ Scientist

Isaac Newton's discoveries were so numerous and varied that many consider him to be the father of modern science. A graduate of Trinity College, Cambridge, Newton developed an intense interest in mathematics and the laws of nature which ultimately led to his two most famous works: Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica (1687) and Opticks (1704). Newton helped define the laws of gravity and planetary motion, co-founded the field of calculus, and explained laws of light and color, among many other discoveries. A famous story suggests Newton discovered the laws of gravity by watching an apple fall from a tree, though there's no proof that this is true. Newton was knighted in 1705.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Hmmm... interesting... I very much doubt that it will turn out to be true, but I'd like to look into it.

A myriad tests have been conducted where photons travel up to hundreds of times faster than the speed of light... but there's a trick to it. Further explained in The Superstring Theory Thread.

HAHAHAHA, holy shit, I swear you posted that while I was writing a response...

Right now, I am absolutely blown away by the awesomeness of the guy's name.

Hhaha... yeah the stuff that gets into print these days. I don't know. I could literally write a book on these sorts of so called theories, but they should be called speculation in order to be more accurate.

Yeah like say I write a book about this dark energy. I could say that this is a constant force that originated in the big bang. Once a terminal velocity was reached, all matter as we know it continued infinitely through space, and infinitely further apart from what may have been the opposite end of a singularity of a black hole. And blah blah blah...

Oh how about this: Before the big bang all matter was one giant lump. Sort of a universal pangaea. Or maybe it was GALACTUS! YEAH!!!!!

Fuck give me a fucking book contract.... I can speculate.

Guest im not witty

^i think you have to get your Phd before anyone will listen to you. maybe you have one, i dont.

the author is aware of the speculative nature of the work. thats his field of study in physics, taking apart established ideas and looking for other alternatives.

Naw I don't have a phd. Though I could have been had the stars been more fortuitous. It's true, noone will listen too you, even though I happen to think that my big bang theory being the opposite end of a black hole singularity is pretty cool even though I just pulled it out my ass and just as good as other theories out there.

You really need college credits to get "credit".

How long you think it will be before someone in academia steals my idea? It's happened many times before....

If anyone would be so kind as to inform me if they spot this somewhere... Maybe this will work out eventually like the kilo7/Jessica Alba thing.

Originally posted by villain

It's true, noone will listen too you, even though I happen to think that my big bang theory being the opposite end of a black hole singularity is pretty cool even though I just pulled it out my ass and just as good as other theories out there.

That general idea has already been discussed within M-theory.

El Mammero: I had no idea that M-theory contained anything of the sort. Maybe I should study more physics before mouthing off! Hahaha not! This is a creative process, as well as fun, and a learning process all at the same time....

Try this one out... okay maybe "God" was in the beginning this giant universal pangaea right and it had amassed so much matter that a supergravity formed causing within the core nuclear fusion which caused a supernova and spread "God" all over the universe! A la big bang! (I'm crossing over with the spirituality thread). Maybe this is why god is omnipotent and omnipresent.